Troubleshooting: squeaky wheel at low speed, vibration at 70mph. Drop in fuel economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willberforce

Car
w124
Hi everyone

So, last weekend I noticed a bit of squeak slowing down. Then at 70mph a vibration, and fuel economy has dipped. I'm a novice, but it's obviously alignment or wheel ba lance

My dilemma is which do I pay to get done first? I wa thinking wheel balance, but then if that's not the answer and I get alignment done, will it knock the balancing off???

Any id ice appreciated!!

Thanks

Hi everyone

So, last weekend I noticed a bit of squeak slowing down. Then at 70mph a vibration, and fuel economy has dipped. I'm a novice, but it's obviously alignment or wheel ba lance

My dilemma is which do I pay to get done first? I wa thinking wheel balance, but then if that's not the answer and I get alignment done, will it knock the balancing off???

Any id ice appreciated!!

Thanks

Wheel bearing or binding brakes?

Is the squeaking only when driving or present when you turn the steering at a standstill?

Getting a wheel balanced won't upset the alignment (and vice versa). - The wheel comes off to get balanced, and although you generally use the tyres to align the geometry there's no reason they'd get unbalanced from this.

Feel the wheels after a run. The fronts will be warm to hot anyway but a binding brake will cause one to be noticeably hotter.

So the squeaking is only present intermittently, and when slowing down. It feels like it might be balance over alignment, as there's no real drift if I take my hands off the steering wheel

I've not really come across a certain way to differentiate between the two similar (albeit different) issues, if that makes sense

But I hadn't thought about binding brakes either so I'll work through all your suggestions - thank you guys

Any more suggestions very welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom