Trucks to travel free on M6 Toll Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've used the M6 toll a couple of times recently - it's miles away from me so I've no cause to go there normally - and TBH it was a pleasure to drive on an empty, nicely surfaced, road like that. I did ease my right foot down a bit, as it happens :D.

Too bloody expensive by far though, a fiver for 27 miles? Jog on. Perhaps if they dropped the prices to a sensible level they wouldn't be losing money hand over fist..

Thanks for the heads-up though, avoid like the plague in July is the message.

Cheers,

Gaz

If they want more haulage companies to start using the toll road why not drop the price to £7 from £11 rather than giving it for free?

As above...the solution is blindingly obvious...except for the dummies who choose to run the most expensive and complicated charging toll road in Europe.

Giving it for free should free up the non-tolled M6 nicely though??

It would be interesting if they directed ALL trucks onto the toll road to see the effect (good or bad) it would have on the M6

Nah, keep prices high and keep the poor folk out! ;)

Tiz well worth a Fiver for a decent blast with nowt about! :D

As above...the solution is blindingly obvious...except for the dummies who choose to run the most expensive and complicated charging toll road in Europe.

Don't forget the Severn Bridge though.

(won't be long till it's the 7 quid bridge)

I'd pay the toll just to avoid the appalling road surface on the M6 caused by... all the trucks. If they give cheaper access to the M6 Toll for trucks then we'll have two ruined motorways

Incidentally, has anyone figured out why the M25 toll bridge is allowed to dictate payment only in cash? No cheques, cards or Euros allowed. It's a big middle finger to European visitors

Nick Froome

If you like, I can find out the official answer to that...
I strongly suspect it's speed, though. Dropping a couple of coins in a hopper is much, much faster than using a chip-and-pin or the like (although contactless cards might be a bit quicker). Not sure about the Euros bit, I thought that was (pardon the pun) on the cards...

i have never had cause to use the toll road not even sure i would as the price seems i little high

I'd pay the toll just to avoid the appalling road surface on the M6 caused by... all the trucks. If they give cheaper access to the M6 Toll for trucks then we'll have two ruined motorways

Incidentally, has anyone figured out why the M25 toll bridge is allowed to dictate payment only in cash? No cheques, cards or Euros allowed. It's a big middle finger to European visitors

Nick Froome

I have only used M25 toll bridge once--they would not give me a receipt--I had difficulty in recovering my payment from my boss---a government department

I use the M6 toll on the vast majority of journeys down south. The odd occasion that I don't, I nearly always regret it due to holdups on the normal M6.

Worth the fiver for the stress free 20-odd miles of almost empty road, the slightly shorter route, fuel saved in not getting stuck in a queue and making use of that fuel saving in launching from the toll booth making use of some of those horses that don't normally get exercised.

..... launching from the toll booth making use of some of those horses that don't normally get exercised.

Ah yes, the enthusiastic starts from the toll booths - what fun!

Some don't get it though and dribble along in the middle of the road at about 40mph until they can see the lane markings...

Some don't get it though and dribble along in the middle of the road at about 40mph until they can see the lane markings...

You need a certain proportion of people to do that, or you end up with 16 full-bore standing starters fighting to four lanes...

You may not have noticed that there is a speed restriction before and after the toll booths that is monitored. There is always someone looking to spoil your fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom