True or False. Mobile Phone and ATM Lifesavers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I have had this through on an email a long time ago and it surfaced again today.
So with the wealth of knowledge amongst forum members I though I would post it to find out if all or some of it is true or not.

I do think the second point would be very useful, if true.

4 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW YOUR MOBILE PHONE COULD DO...

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Emergency -
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out...

SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the boot).
(Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!)

THIRD Hidden Battery Power -
Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your mobile will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your mobile next time.

FOURTH How to disable a STOLENmobile phone? -
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back,but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in peoplestealing mobilephones.

ATM - PIN Number Reversal - Good to Know!
If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse... For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location. This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Any views would be interesting.

TIA.

Paul.

Last edited:
The fifth one, ATM Reversal definately does not work otherwise palindrome PINS would trigger the system everytime they were used.

Top one is as well. At least anywhere in europe. Its the international emergency number

Top one is as well. At least anywhere in europe. Its the international emergency number

112 is the international emergency number but it does not work if your keypad is locked.

112 is the international emergency number but it does not work if your keypad is locked.

I remember 999 used to work on a locked key pad, it caused no end of problems to the service as the number was easily dialed when your phone was in your pocket, I was called back by the operator loads of times when I first had a mobile phone

What if...
my PIN was for example: 1221
??????

Mobile Phone operators usually know the IMEI of the handset registered to your account. The IMEI should also be printed on the box of the handset, if you still have this.

*3370# is mainly used on Nokia's, and is way of actually reducing your battery, as it increases the sound quality of the calls.

Remote Unlocking, im sure ive heard is a myth, haven tried it though. hopefully will never have to use it!!!

112, not sure about, my Blackberry, even with keys locked, doesnt unlock if I try 999!

The fifth one, ATM Reversal definately does not work otherwise palindrome PINS would trigger the system everytime they were used.

Or they'd never trigger...

Just to add... as on a previous post... the IMEI can be blocked by the networks if the phone is reported stolen. But it can be changed by someone etc...

If then someone does attempt to change it this is breaking the law under the 'reprogramming act 2000'.

It is legal to unlock the phone from a network but not to unblock a phone by changing the IMEI number (International Mobile Equipment Identity)

Smarty:cool:

Which phone are you using? It should work although there has been requests that this feature should not exists because it creates a lot of unintentional emergency calls.

On my phone if I just press 112, the number appears on the display but only once I've pressed all numbers (even if the keypad was locked).

Ericsson phones used to show the numbers pressed as long as it followed the 112 sequence.

112 works on all GSM phones even if this is not the official emergency number in the US or several other places. 911 works the same way on my phone (you can actually call an emergency call by any of the numbers the phone recognises as an emergency call number, US persons in Europe would likely dial 911 but it works equally well as 112 in the US, if dialled from a GSM phone).

I would say point one was almost right. :)

None of the emergency numbers work on my Blackberry when the keypad is locked. On my Nokia N78 only 112 works, which I didn't realise as the numbers don't show as the screensaver kicks in as soon as the keypad is locked. Once you press dial the numbers show and it attempts to dial. This only happens with 112, 999 and 911 evince no response.

I've just tried 112 on my Blackberry Bold with the keypad locked. It works. After typing 112 a dialog box appears asking you to press send to make an emergency call.

My Blackberry Pearl just stays firmly locked. Maybe a later enhancement, as is the replacement of the ability to dial 999 with 112 on the Nokia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom