Trumps Beginning of the end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hilarious that he has tweeted that Cohen has admitted to two counts of campaign finance breeches, but that it isn’t a crime.

Errrm.... why would the justice dept be prosecuting someone for a non-crime?

In other news he has given support and praise to manafort - saying it’s good he kept to his principles (for tax fraud o_O)

Having watched the Ed Balls programs it became fairly obvious Trump's electoral success was predicated on the simple message that it was OK to "consume" once more- he removed the guilt. In fact as an American you had a positive right to do so and should feel good about it. Its a seductive message that appealed to many levels of US society. Whether it is good for the rest of the world remains another question.

Now, I'm not convinced whether he is very stupid or very clever.

He creates chaos around himself which might be a ploy to get what he wants by unsettling everyone else, I've seen it happen in a corporate environment but the thought of it being used on such an important stage is, frankly, alarming.
Pretty good correlation with my thoughts / corporate experiences. As time goes on I've become convinced he's not stupid, rather I'm inclined to the view that he's a narcissistic psychopath.

No they didn't - Clinton won more votes.

All elections are won by politicians who understand the voting process. If you need that explained, speak to Bill Clinton (and James Carvill), or Al Gore, who won more votes than GW Bush in 2000. As everyone said at the time, Clinton lost because she ignored the Deplorables in the Flyover states.

The system is the system.

"No they didn't - the last President with this much smelly stuff around him was Nixon."

Have you really forgotten the Clinton sagas? The women he "slept with" during the Inauguration Balls, the allegations of financial impropriety, the "suicide" of Hillary's "colleague," the whole Whitewater saga? The twenty year allegations of groping and inappropriate behaviour with "willing / consenting" Democrat supporters?

https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1998/05/williams199805

Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia

Suicide of Vince Foster - Wikipedia

Whitewater controversy - Wikipedia

Have you also forgotten the Million people who marched against Bush and the illegal invasion of iraq?

15 February 2003 anti-war protests - Wikipedia

BBC NEWS | UK | 'Million' march against Iraq

war
Efforts to impeach George W. Bush - Wikipedia

Last edited:
"Not only was he elected, he has created an economic boom...
No he hasn't - you're giving him rather a lot of credit for an economic upswing."

I'm not giving him a lot of credit for anything. I'm saying that Americans are saying that he has created an economic boom, during his tenure, from tax changes, and Government actions, which means that he's sat on the cusp of the biggest bull market in American history.

I do NOT approve of the man. All I am saying is that Americans (not the brightest people in the World), not only elected him, but show no particular reason to need to replace him. The Democrats, who fielded Hillary Clinton last time (ROFL) have no obvious candidate to replace him. Elizabeth Warren would be fabulous, but the Democrats have form in this area - so it's unlikely Elizabeth will actually run / win.

The only sure fire way the Democrats have to win 2020 is to get Michelle Obama on the ticket. Her polls as First Lady were like nothing that has ever been seen before. She’s counted herself out of the running many times before but I am wondering if she would think at some point, enough is enough!

My money is on the Teflon shield holding up.

He's been hammered during and after the elections in every possible way, and his resilience is nothing short of astonishing.

I wouldn't write him off any time soon.
Much like a certain vote closer to home, what the people attacking him just don’t get (and I’m not sure whether it’s down to sheer arrogance or illiberal ideology) but they’re still fighting the same fight they fought in the run-up to his election, do they not realise that by doing this they’re actually making his support stronger?

The more he’s under fire the more strength he derives from it; he’s an incendiary character who thrives on confrontation.

I do NOT approve of the man. All I am saying is that Americans (not the brightest people in the World), not only elected him, but show no particular reason to need to replace him. The Democrats, who fielded Hillary Clinton last time (ROFL) have no obvious candidate to replace him. Elizabeth Warren would be fabulous, but the Democrats have form in this area - so it's unlikely Elizabeth will actually run / win.
I hope the Democrats get their house in order in time for the next presidential election but I’m not holding my breath..

They (the American people) didn't have much of choice last time; elect the guy who's about as predictable as a wonky chrome-plated shopping trolley with a broken handle or the woman considered by many to be as trustworthy as a grubby $9 bill. Now they're finding out that the shopping trolley is every bit as grubby as the $9 bill ever was.

Last edited:
During his campaign Trump told everyone that the FBI and the media were corrupt, partisan liars. It appears that this played well with many Americans, especially those who are predisposed to conspiracy theories that involve the “gummint”.

What I hadn’t anticipated is how well this strategy has played out for him as POTUS when his own crooked / immoral activities have surfaced. He simply repeats the mantra that the FBI (and the media) are corrupt, partisan liars and that he’s as clean as a whistle and his supporters believe him.

Strange times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...he’s as clean as a whistle and his supporters believe him.

The funny bit is that Trump actually believes his own fairy tales, and genuinely sees himself as an honest man.

Anyone who disagrees with genius must either be a fool, or someone with an agenda who is out to get him. For Trump there's no third option.

During his campaign Trump told everyone that the FBI and the media were corrupt, partisan liars. It appears that this played well with many Americans, especially those who are predisposed to conspiracy theories that involve the “gummint”.

What I hadn’t anticipated is how well this strategy has played out for him as POTUS when his own crooked / immoral activities have surfaced. He simply repeats the mantra that the FBI (and the media) are corrupt, partisan liars and that he’s as clean as a whistle and his supporters believe him.

Strange times.

I don’t even think his supporters even trust him but merely tolerate him. As someone on the outside looking in and also having had a fair bit of exposure to America over the years it’s my opinion that the majority of hardcore Republicans are ardent racists (or at least tolerate it) as is the core of the party. It’s been this way since the late 1860’s and I don’t see that it’s changed very much in this time. Unfortunately Trump won on the “hic” vote through the use of incendiary language against people of colour and immigrants in general and anyone from middle class and above who is seen as propping up the “establishment”.

Trumps presidency eschews the deep racial divides of the USA, and in part, the North /South divide that affects the country to this day. Everyone is still too PC in the mainstream media to point this out, but let’s face, that’s exactly what’s happening.

The Hardcore conservative base will continue to forgive Trump for his various misdemeanours from his obvious infidelity to throwing anyone and everyone under the bus. Fairly ironic when you consider the “Christian” base and values of the party but hardly surprising that people use religion until it no longer aligns with their own goals and then will label everything “fake news”.

America is still struggling with race and class divide over 150 years after emancipation, I don’t see any sign of this changing in the next 150 years either.

America is a broken country and has been for 400 years, and it runs far deeper than Trump, the current administration is just the tip of the iceberg.

You only have to look at the tent city’s, the homelessness and health care system of what should be the worlds richest country to realise that all is not what it seems!

I still think Trump maybe finished now as it would be rational to think that the Republican whips and powers that be would be starting to get very twitchy because if this all blows up and they continue to excuse the current behaviour it may, in the long game, lead to them being out of power for the next couple of decades.

I don’t even think his supporters even trust him but merely tolerate him. As someone on the outside looking in and also having had a fair bit of exposure to America over the years it’s my opinion that the majority of hardcore Republicans are ardent racists (or at least tolerate it) as is the core of the party. It’s been this way since the late 1860’s and I don’t see that it’s changed very much in this time. Unfortunately Trump won on the “hic” vote through the use of incendiary language against people of colour and immigrants in general and anyone from middle class and above who is seen as propping up the “establishment”.

Trumps presidency eschews the deep racial divides of the USA, and in part, the North /South divide that affects the country to this day. Everyone is still too PC in the mainstream media to point this out, but let’s face, that’s exactly what’s happening.

The Hardcore conservative base will continue to forgive Trump for his various misdemeanours from his obvious infidelity to throwing anyone and everyone under the bus. Fairly ironic when you consider the “Christian” base and values of the party but hardly surprising that people use religion until it no longer aligns with their own goals and then will label everything “fake news”.

America is still struggling with race and class divide over 150 years after emancipation, I don’t see any sign of this changing in the next 150 years either.

America is a broken country and has been for 400 years, and it runs far deeper than Trump, the current administration is just the tip of the iceberg.

You only have to look at the tent city’s, the homelessness and health care system of what should be the worlds richest country to realise that all is not what it seems!

I still think Trump maybe finished now as it would be rational to think that the Republican whips and powers that be would be starting to get very twitchy because if this all blows up and they continue to excuse the current behaviour it may, in the long game, lead to them being out of power for the next couple of decades.

I agree with most of your analisys apart perhpas from your view of America as a broken country.

On a whole, I think America has done well, compared to other Western countries, though it's obvoi6sly lagging behind on social welfare and equality.

What you describe is in essence correct, but then no large Western country is a Utopia.

Every country has it's own unique set of issues to do with inequality both financially and socially.

You just can't avoid some injustice and some level of friction between different groups when you try and unite tens of millions of people under one government and one social system.

The funny bit is that Trump actually believes his own fairy tales, and genuinely sees himself as an honest man.
A classic trait of the psychopath. They create their own “moral framework” that they measure their behaviour against and, guess what? It’s great! Really great!

Pretty good correlation with my thoughts / corporate experiences. As time goes on I've become convinced he's not stupid, rather I'm inclined to the view that he's a narcissistic psychopath.

Sounds right to me too.

That pretty much describes ever single successful businessman and politician. You don't get rich being nice. You don't get power unless you are rich. You wouldn't want power unless you were a narcissistic psychopath.

I've met a few corporate psychopaths in my time - you could slot them into a presidency/prime ministership/dictatorship without missing a beat.

A classic trait of the psychopath. They create their own “moral framework” that they measure their behaviour against and, guess what? It’s great! Really great!

...with a hint of Paranoia.

Sounds right to me too.

That pretty much describes ever single successful businessman and politician. You don't get rich being nice. You don't get power unless you are rich. You wouldn't want power unless you were a narcissistic psychopath.

I've met a few corporate psychopaths in my time - you could slot them into a presidency/prime ministership/dictatorship without missing a beat.

Up to Trump, there were some conventions that were upheld... regarding what you can say and how you should say it.

As an example, here in the UK I remember that Blair said (not a political comment on my part - he just happened to be PM at time) that the governmnet will help single mothers get back into work.

Trump would have twitted that the government will stop giving money to single mothers because they are parasites and they shouldn't go on spawning kids they can't support.

Both are the same thing, essentially, because the way the UK government indented to 'help' (or rather, 'force') single mothers to get back to work was by reducing their benefits.

But the differences is that Trump's twit would have caused a massive uproar and created the kind of controversy that Trump thrives on.

I’m going to go against the grain here and declare Donald Trump not clever! He was born into wealth, money creates more money and was surrounded by people who made good buisiness decisions. The way he talks, reasons and his attention span are clear indications of his intelligence. Rumour has it his daily intelligence briefings (National security etc) have to be done in 5 minute time slots as he just does not have the attention span to cope with the usual hour. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and behaves like a duck I’m not calling it a chicken. I know people talk of his book about sealing the deal, but let’s face it, he didn’t write it himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom