Trunion bushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lecky

Car
CLK 320 W209
I've heard a few references to rear suspension 'Trunion' bushes recently and was wondering exactly which. Looking at the EPC for my CLK does not make reference to such items so I'm guessing it's a general term given.

In respect to my car, I reckon they are referring to the bushes associated with the Lower Spring Contol arm of which there are two. One is pressed into the arm and connects to the rear sub frame while the other is pressed into the wheel hub support carrier.

Could anyone confirm if either of these two bushes are generalised as Trunion bushes and if either are known to periodically require replacement - Special tooling required.

Thanks

Never heard them referred to by that name before, last time I heard about those I was dealing with a Morris 1000!

Yes, it could be a term thats been handed down from the old school mechanics. I was just hoping to identify the bush they were referring to on my car so I could take a look to see what condition they were in.

Lecky said:
Yes, it could be a term thats been handed down from the old school mechanics. I was just hoping to identify the bush they were referring to on my car so I could take a look to see what condition they were in.
Most Merc arms come complete with bushes which are normally press fit. Aftermarket arms can work out as good as OEM and cost considerably less.

To fit / replace the bushes normally require access to a fly press and heat. So the cost and faff make buying replacement arms the best way to go.

It is worth checking exactly which bushes are shot then finding out if they are part of an arm etc.

A pry bar and some brute force will show bushes that are shot with the car in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I would ignore the term trunion as it seems to relate to cars of years gone by. The bushes you mention are the inner trailng arm bush (large rubber and steel bush which connects to the sub frame) and the outer arm bush(which connects to the wheel hub). Both of which are sold by ECP and not especially difficult to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom