Trying to save a bob or two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tuercas viejas

MB Enthusiast
Car
landrover/rolls royce/MB AMG S600/Prius
Guyos
If you are interested in back yard tinkering and experimentation with your DPF cleaning then take a look at this from Down Under.
Just a word of caution don't chem' scorch the back lawn or the missus' flowers beds or you will end up with a bollocking.
Tuercas Viejas
I suppose it begs only ONE question! How to you pronounce Aluminum in English?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Guyos
How to you pronounce Aluminum in English?
It's very simple - you add the additional i before the second u - so it's aluminium not aluminum!:D:D:D:D

2 nations seperated by a common language - as has been said many times before!!

WelI I will "knock that up" to experience. :D
But the off topic never ending question IS:- Who speaks the language correctly?
Cheers TV

Don't!! Decades ago my cousin was working in New York and engaged to an American girl, his parents came to NY to meet her parents as a first prep for the wedding, and her parents (wealthy folk apparently) arranged a helicopter flight over NY for them. When told the start time, my Uncle Ron (cousin's father) commented to the fiancee's mother that, as it was an early start, he'd come over and "knock her up" in the morning. Apparently her reaction to this innocuous and common English phrase was an absolute classic! Strangely enough the engagement ended a while later and he ended up marrying a different (Norwegian) lady!

Presumably Tv knows the phrase originates from late 19th century when most lower income people could not afford a clock so to get to work on time were dependant on "knocker uppers" who went round the streets knocking on peoples windows to wake them up for work!

In answer to your latest question - there is a reason proper English is called "The Queen's English"!! Once upon a time it was also the BBC, but not these days!

Don't!! Decades ago my cousin was working in New York and engaged to an American girl, his parents came to NY to meet her parents as a first prep for the wedding, and her parents (wealthy folk apparently) arranged a helicopter flight over NY for them. When told the start time, my Uncle Ron (cousin's father) commented to the fiancee's mother that, as it was an early start, he'd come over and "knock her up" in the morning. Apparently her reaction to this innocuous and common English phrase was an absolute classic! Strangely enough the engagement ended a while later and he ended up marrying a different (Norwegian) lady!

Presumably Tv knows the phrase originates from late 19th century when most lower income people could not afford a clock so to get to work on time were dependant on "knocker uppers" who went round the streets knocking on peoples windows to wake them up for work!

In answer to your latest question - there is a reason proper English is called "The Queen's English"!! Once upon a time it was also the BBC, but not these days!
Oh lovely story !
Once upon time doing rail trials out of Washington DC, I was assigned a Cambridge grad student who was from India. Sunhill was speaking to "engineering" at BRE in York about train suspension .
Knowing that "rubbers" to Americans are condoms, two women in the office were listening to his conversation.
it went "Yes Lawrence I have found two used rubbers in the packing case, I felt them, they seem sturdy enough and then I smelt them just to simply ascertain how often they had been used in different areas oily lubricated & applications !!
At this point these two women erupted in uncontrolled laughter, and had to leave the office howling & sniggering all the time poor old Sunhil was still in a serious deep engineering discussion with base..
Tuercas Viejas

For info go to this and scroll in about 39.15 minutes and there you will see blurry yours truly in me prime in the drivers seat!
One of the few Englishmen to have federal rail road license all the time waiving & supporting British exports . Bloody waste of time--But it was fun!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom