Trying to stop smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DrFeelgood said:
Pancreatic cancer, he was meant to have died by now but had some revolutionary surgery which seems to have kept him going somehow.
My mate died of Pancreatic cancer in 2013 at the age of 47. He was exactly a year older than me.
He left a wife and an 8 year old son. He was a smoker.

Pancreatic cancer.....

Pancreatic cancer, he was meant to have died by now but had some revolutionary surgery which seems to have kept him going somehow.

Principle risk factors for pancreatic cancer: Smoking, excess weight and probably alcohol... (50% of cancers are lifestyle choice)

Pancreatic cancer risk factors | Cancer Research UK

But life is just a set of choices.

Live past 80 and you'll increase your risk of dementia.

We all gottagosometime.

As a heavy smoker in a previous life 60/80 a day I understand how difficult it can be. It took me 4 goes to stop and honestly without my wife's help at that time I'm sure I wouldn't have made it.
Understand I love the smell of smoke, still and loved to smoke back then. But and it's a big but I won't be held to ransom by a packet of fags and 16 years later I still won't be, what I'm suggesting is that you need to have a trigger and use that as your go to reason to stop.
30 days is recognised as the time for the addiction to leave the body so work one day at a time until you reach a week and then 2 weeks and so on....
It actually helped that I stop going to the pub if that helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Things that made it easier were;
Can't smoke in the pub or restaurant. I hate looking like a scuzzer outside a pub. Can't smoke in a works van. Can't smoke on a building site!!! Can't smoke in the house. I went to Bratislava with 10 beer buddies last year and I was the only smoker!!
Also, when the TV ads come on I do stuff rather than stand outside having a fag!!

I went to revisit my GP this morning about my efforts to stop smoking and also about a little problem I've had for a while with masturbation.

She was pleased when I told her that I had managed to cut down to around 8-10 a day from my usual 30.
I told her I had worked hard to cut out the crafty ones out of the toilet window on the train and in queuing traffic etc.

However, she was really cross when I said that I would rather wait until the price reached £12 a packet before tackling my smoking problem.

The smoker want to quit but he can’t do without nicotine, that’s the smoker's dilemma, he want to smoke and he want to quit, its one or the other, if he isn’t prepared to do without nicotine then he won’t succeed in quitting.

Most of the nicotine is out of your system is in about a week after quitting, after 3 weeks you are clear of addiction.

From then on, any desire you have to smoke is not addiction, it will be a desire to experience, again, the pleasure you got from smoking.

You will get your daily pangs, the best way to deal with them is to do something else, immediately, this will get your mind of smoking within seconds and you will have forgotten the desire to smoke.

Dec

CLSMark said:
Wish me luck (again) just snapped the last two. Feel determined this time. Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk
Good luck. You know it's worth it.

I managed to give up when Lambert and buttler hit 3 quid a pack.
Think that was back in the mid 90s. Started smoking again 2002 after a party and someone passed a spliff round and I was hooked again for another 4 years before I binned them and so far I've never looked back

I managed to give up when Lambert and buttler hit 3 quid a pack.
Think that was back in the mid 90s. Started smoking again 2002 after a party and someone passed a spliff round and I was hooked again for another 4 years before I binned them and so far I've never looked back

That's the only thing that I miss about smoking, I heard a song on the radio yesterday which took me right back and I could actually smell that sweet smoke.

I went to revisit my GP this morning about my efforts to stop smoking and also about a little problem I've had for a while with masturbation.

She was pleased when I told her that I had managed to cut down to around 8-10 a day from my usual 30.
I told her I had worked hard to cut out the crafty ones out of the toilet window on the train and in queuing traffic etc.

However, she was really cross when I said that I would rather wait until the price reached £12 a packet before tackling my smoking problem.

Actually bashing one out is a accepted aid in quitting smoking that I have heard about on more than one occasion !!!!

Another method is aversion therapy - every time you get a craving you eat something you dont like - say rhubarb, celery, marmite etc etc - apparently your brain soon associates the cravings with unpleasantness - dunno if it helps though

Anyway ive just gone on to 0% vapes yesterday so will give view on that in a couple of days :)

I think the revolutionary surgery you may be referring to is called a Whipple procedure. I had the same surgery 6 months ago and yes it can be a life saver.

Incidentally, I gave up smoking 3 years ago after a lifetime of the little buggers. Never had any problems whatsoever and just wished I'd done it years ago. The money saved is unbelievable. First year of non smoking funded a 3 week trip to North America.

CLSMark said:
5 hours in. Still clean Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk
Nice job. Think about other stuff and today will fly by. Tomorrow is easier.

I think the revolutionary surgery you may be referring to is called a Whipple procedure. I had the same surgery 6 months ago and yes it can be a life saver.

Incidentally, I gave up smoking 3 years ago after a lifetime of the little buggers. Never had any problems whatsoever and just wished I'd done it years ago. The money saved is unbelievable. First year of non smoking funded a 3 week trip to North America.

Well, he's looking relatively well on it

c48384f3-c7ef-4251-a779-365ae4f9a6d9

CLSMark said:
Soaked to the skin and f'd off. I'm being tested! Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk
My first day was a Friday and wasn't so bad. Next day was harder because everyone was out and I was home alone. Sunday was easier (a bit) and we even went to a pub for dinner! To be honest, I've never felt the urge even when my dad died and a weeks holiday in Fuerteventura. And I have no willpower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom