Trying to stop smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks mate.

I vaped for a bit, but binned that off.

Smoking controls your whole life, that’s what made me crack it

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk Pro

Good work mate.

I've been free of the weed for nearly 20 years.

I have no cravings but can remember those first few smokes in my teens and I know full well that any smokes that I have now will never taste like those early ones so why would I want to start smoking again at the shit end of the experience?

Good work mate.

I've been free of the weed for nearly 20 years.

I have no cravings but can remember those first few smokes in my teens and I know full well that any smokes that I have now will never taste like those early ones so why would I want to start smoking again at the shit end of the experience?

Yep. I know exactly what you mean.

Can you believe they are £10 a packet on average now?

Don’t know how ordinary joe’s afford it

Today marks the end of my second week off the fags.

Feeling the benefits already not to mention the extra brass in my pocket!

Well done. Don’t cave!

They stink
Expensive
Unhealthy
Anti social these days

I can’t think of any pros, all cons

It is bloody boring without them, I’ll admit that

Well done.
Get a stop smoking app for your phone, I did that 3 years, 2 months and 19 days ago according to the app.
It reckons I've saved £7335 as a result.
I used to also use that same app to record my refuelling of petrol, which was one of my incentives for stopping. I believe it helped me.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.portablepixels.smokefree&hl=en_GB

Stick with it Mark, you will get over it, eventually you'll realise how silly it was, and why you ever bothered, good luck.

Here's a thought for you:

I'm an Engineer and you know how men are, tattoos, booze and fags right? I mean all that were around me did this.. so, one day Jackie the boilerman came in and cited he was giving up.. in those days fags were about £2-3 quid a packet.. he earned a good salary through NHS and the rigs, next we knew was a new car..Then his wife Ina and he took off to Hawaii on holiday, and it began to trigger thoughts, had he won the lottery?? Pools?? Bookies?? What.. until eventually my chargehand could stand it no longer... "How the F'n Hell are you doing all this?" he asked. "Easy" he answered.. "everytime I feel like a fag, I give the "Fag" money to Ina" he replied. She was storing it for him, and you didn't want to mess with her, heart of gold, but could kick start a Jumbo jet, and her comments were just as cutting.. and according to him it mounted up fairly quickly... maybe, just maybe there's something in it for you??

Mrs Baxlin was a bit more subtle than Ina, she just said "if you’re really going to enjoy that cigarette, go ahead and smoke it".

That was a couple of years before we were married.......over 44 years ago, and I still do as she tells me!

Joking aside, even in the early 70s, the money saved in the first 6 or 8 months amounted to more than half of the cost of our first holiday abroad.

I can't afford to smoke, £11.50 for 20 Bensons now.

The packet's don't even look cool any more with the shitty photos on.

Definitely agree with that - the gold Bensons packs were pretty cool. I should know - I smoked the bloody things for 35 years.

Nearly £14 quid a pack at the local filling station, madness (on my part)

Reckon I’ve saved at least £150 already so I’m treating the supportive Mrs K to a
Night away.

Thinking again about the cost of cigarettes, I seem to recall that when I stopped smoking all those years ago, 20 Embassy cost about 4/6d, (less than 25p for those who never knew £.s.d), whereas a gallon of 4 star cost a bit more, around 7/6d (35p-ish)

I had to pay £1.36/ltr for diesel the other day, or about £6.20 for a gallon. Not much over half the price of a packet of fags.

And we think fuel prices have risen.....

Last edited:
Feb 26th 2019 will be 6 years for me.

I dread to think how many £££££'s I burnt over the 24 years I was smoking :wallbash:

The smoking ban in 2006? was a fantastic incentive for many to give up. Shame it took me another 7 years!

It won't be long before I will have given up as long as I was a smoker.

I remember at the time that it was said that after 10 years your lungs returned to those of a non smoker.

I once calculated how much money my friend would save if he put his cigarette money into his mortgage........he gave up smoking that day.

I used to smoke at least 60 a day (in SA we could get 30 packs & 1 would take 2 to work in the days when you could smoke in the office) used to light one from the last and had yellow fingers etc - disgusting .....quit cold turkey on a bet 30 years ago and never went back. Still have my old Ronson lighter somewhere!

I still smoke the occasional Cuban Cigar but don't miss cigarettes at all.

I find it strange that even with all the patches and gums etc people do not have the will power to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom