Trying to stop smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that smokers should be paid less, they are sick more often and spend a lot of time away from their work having a "smoke break". Used to drive me mad when I needed to talk to one of my team and he/she was outside having a smoke.....

I think that smokers should be paid less, they are sick more often and spend a lot of time away from their work having a "smoke break". Used to drive me mad when I needed to talk to one of my team and he/she was outside having a smoke.....

During the interview/screening process is it legal to ask if a prospective employee smokes?

Seen a few groups of young teenagers (maybe 13) on cycles recently, happily vaping away. Apart from potential vaping concerns, who knows what they had in there. Also, vaping meant they were riding on busy main roads with one hand on the handlebars (No helmets of course - we is cool)

If ur enjoying them just keep to a couple a day. Its when your doing 20 and 40 a day your at major risks. Yes i know 1 or 2 are bad for you compared to fresh air. I do weight training 5 days a week and maybe have 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. Eat a good/great diet and at 52 am alot fitter than lads at work in their 30's.

Yeah, that's great, but can you legally ask?
It is illegal at interviews for employers to ask jobseekers any questions relating to personal lifestyle choices, for example about their consumption of alcohol, whether they smoke or use recreational drugs. Of course, a company can set out rules as per the staff handbook regarding the use of these kinds of substances. However, what an employee does outside of work is not the company’s business (except in industries where they can legally carry out random drug/alcohol tests i.e. the railway) but they certainly cannot ask questions about it at interview. But employers can explain their company policy on any of these factors and ask the applicant if they can abide by those rules.

Yeah, that's great, but can you legally ask?

Doubt it.

I remember doing my first interview after I moved to Australia. Casually asked a guy, I was interviewing, if he was married, had kids etc. Was told off by HR afterwards for asking about anything not strictly related to his job skills. :eek: In the past I'd always started off in a conversational way with questions about the candidate's personal life (family, hobbies, sport etc) just to put them at ease before we got into the nitty gritty of their abilities & experience......

I've not interviewed or hired people in the UK since the early 2000s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think smokers and drinkers should be applauded.
The revenue they generate in taxes far outweighs any loading they put on the NHS . My efforts to fill my recycling glass bin is heroic.
Drivers of large engined cars, petrol and diesel should be applauded in the same manner. I also eat enormous portions of meat, thereby supporting farmers.
I am expecting to hear about a knighthood anytime soon.

They must have had a crystal ball when they wrote that one! It's Vapors by the way.

That was the tricky part. Those that Vape are Vapers. The band are The Vapors.
It's correct and incorrect whichever way we look at it. :)

I wish my mum had not smoked .

2019-11-16 08.49.19.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom