Trying to stop smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLSMark

Banned
Car
Volkswagen Touareg
I had given up for 13 years, but for some stupid reason I've started again, I know all the cons, it stinks/anti social/expensive/health. But I'm now struggling to pack them in again, because I'm enjoying it too much, it's like an old friend. Tried the electronic things, but those have nicotine in them and are just a cop out in my opinion.

Tips and bollockings most welcome

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk

Once a smoker, always a smoker.

I've been on and off them for years and although I don't currently smoke, I don't think I've smoked my last cigarette!

Tip one is stop buying them (I know sounds obvious but it's the start), bin all lighters etc as well.

I then took up the gym and cycling but could be anything fitness orientated.

Now every time I want a fag a think of myself breathing out my ass half way up a hill and then decide against it.

Cravings only last 3-5 mins so when the urge comes, recognise it and go somewhere for 5 mins to let it pass. After day 4 it's generally just memories or habit than cravings anyway.

Good luck.

Can't help, never been a smoker but her indoors stopped for 2 years from new year 2010 just went cold turkey, no patches gum anything and has been trying since to stop again. She says its 10 times harder for some reason now. Presently 4 weeks into her latest attempt.

Not much help I know but keep at it.

I quit 8 weeks ago, with a days regress at a stag party the other weekend. I'm on the patches and opted for the 25mg Step 1 as I was a fairly heavy smoker.

I can't justify the cost of £10 a pack and me being a social outcast. I like cycling and can breathe so much better. All those three things remind me not to smoke when I get a craving. Don't get me wrong, it's always on my mind but it'll only get better.

You can get the zero nicotine juices for the ecigs. As daft as it sounds the habit was what i missed most over the nicotine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.. I was diagnosed with Cancer and given months to live. Major surgery was eventually offered as a cure or kill. It cured me and two years on I am still here (I hope).

Giving up was surprisingly easy. All the doctors ask "are you a smoker" then state, very simply "stop". It was clear to me that that I had no expectation of any help if I were not prepared to help myself first.

Please... That is not meant to sound in any way sanctimonious or self righteous. It's just a statement of fact.

What I have since learned is the damage that smoking does to the smoker and to others around (passive smoking). As a father with two teenage daughters, I now do feel somewhat ashamed of my "I'm OK jack" attitude that I had to smoking. I shudder when I recall my then, 7 year old daughter telling me, "every cigarette takes 5 minutes off your life".

I have now met and spoken with so many people who are dying of lung cancer. Most of whom were/are smokers and all of whom (without fail) now say, if they could change something? They would never have smoked.

I never used to smoke in the house, believing that this somehow made it okay for me and my family - WRONG.

My surgery has given me my life but without a stomach and oesophagus. On the outside, I look normal, but every single day is a struggle. Booze is now off limits and eating is no longer a pleasure. It is done to keep me alive and in tiny amounts up to twenty times a day.

Oh. I smoked about 20 Malboro LIghts a day. If playing golf, that would increase to almost double, along with my Guinness intake. My pie to wine and fags ratio was, it now seems, completely wrong.

Give em up. You know you want to. After nine days the cravings go. That is not long to survive without a puff.

The price difference for a box of 20 compared to 13 years should be enough to stop you smoking!

I really hope you can give up again and I'm sure you know how crazy it is to start again.
My dad died in January aged 73 after a nasty and long illness caused by smoking living with 1 lung and an oxygen bottle for 5 years.
I gave up 7 months ago and surprisingly found it quite easy. I smoked up to 40 a day and have no willpower whatsoever.

I really hope you can give up again and I'm sure you know how crazy it is to start again.
My dad died in January aged 73 after a nasty and long illness caused by smoking living with 1 lung and an oxygen bottle for 5 years.
I gave up 7 months ago and surprisingly found it quite easy. I smoked up to 40 a day and have no willpower whatsoever.

Well done for kicking the habit Darrell (and to anyone else that has done so). I'm guessing your dad was in your thoughts and that helped you stop.

One thing I ask all ex smokers is do you feel in much better health since stopping? I've yet to get an answer of 'No'.

Surely a great incentive for those still smoking. :thumb:

Mark, have a read through this thread:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-off-topic-forums/210584-do-you-smoke.html

I started it as I was interested to hear people's habits re smoking due to my parents heavy smoking when I was young.

Good Luck Mark. I hope you manage to stop ASAP. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
As above; vaping lets you keep the habit of putting something in your mouth without the carcinogens and tar of a real cigarette.

No second-hand smoke to upset people around you (the vapour drops out of the air fairly quickly), no lingering smell.

I'm yet to be convinced that they are completely harmless, but they are not as toxic as cigarettes. - Even the "heat not burn" products are better (they're on the market in Japan, but maybe not in the UK yet; they are being tested for release though).

Unfortunately you do look like a bit of a twit vaping.

Last edited:
Happytalk,
I gave up in October last year and felt pretty crap until March.
I have taken up cycling and I think quitting the fags has made me a better cyclist.
My dad being so ill was one of about 6 reasons to give up.

Once a smoker, always a smoker.

I disagree - I stopped after smoking from childhood into early 20's.

That was over 30 years ago and I don't ever think about smoking now, even though I spend a lot of time with a smoker.

I think the hardest time is when the novelty wears off and you begin to tell yourself it was ok, your only vice etc. etc. - probably a few weeks in.

During this period you must re-double your efforts to remain a non-smoker.

Best of luck :thumb:.

I quit in 2001 after smoking for 16 years, I was smoking up to and sometimes over 40 Camel Filters and filterless per day (and lucky strikes on my trips to the states). I'd made several unsuccessful attempts to stop because I thought I ought to.

Eventually I stopped when I realised I actually wanted to stop rather than thinking I should be stopping. I went cold turkey and found it tough for about two weeks and I've not had a ciggie since.

I am now a militant ex smoker and there's no worse non smoker than a sanctimonious ex smoker!

I do miss a nice la de da though but I've not smoked since 2001.

I stopped on Sept 11 2001 whilst staying in Page Arizona. We woke up watching planes flying into buildings in New York. I guess I figured that day that life was too short and could be snuffed out at moments notice to be slowly killing myself as well.

I have never regretted stopping. I couldn't even comprehend smoking another ciggie now.

Have you read Allen Carrs Easy way to stop smoking ?

I started smoking in 1973, I last had a cigarette in August 2012

Main problem is I'm actually enjoying it ATM. "It's like hello darkness my old friend" but I completely know I shouldn't be and it's horrid

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom