Trying to value a Cosworth 2.3-16 1986

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackal2513

Hi there,

I am new to this board and am selling my auntie's 2.3 190 cosworth mercedes for her and at the moment have no idea of possible value.

The car was originally owned by her son for only 2 years or so (in 1986) and then she has owned it since, doing very little mileage. She is 70 years old and has kept it all these years because she always considered it safe and trouble free. Having driven it myself today, in all seriousness she probably never took it beyond 4000rpm or even used the kickdown (its auto). It drives very well and the suspension in particular feels like a new car. Also makes a stonking noise. ALthough its only a 2.3 I was also quite suprised by its performance.

My aunt has all recent history including a new set of dampers all round a few years back but in teh last 3 years or so she's only done around 5 k miles so there isnt a huge amount of history. But the service book is stamped by named Mercedes dealers (who still exist i am told) since 1986 and the PDI. Bodywork is quite good for a car thats 17 years old but is scratched in a few specific areas. Alloys could do with machining but other than that the interior is in extremely good condition, the leather is hardly worn.

I would be grateful if anyone had any pointers as to how much the car will fetch to the right enthusiast buyer and given that it is an example thats had no expense spared and also had a ludicrously stressful life. I will be selling the car shortly and any serious buyers are welcome to meet my aunt for verification. Maybe someone knows what similar cars have fetched recently ?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Rich

Never knew the Cosworth's came with Auto boxes??

Yes they did!
Not particularly popular and from memory, about 5000 or so were made in auto (out of something like 20,000-25,000 16 valvers of all varieties)
For a peaky, high-revving 16 valve engine the manual gearbox delivers better in my opinion (especially as it is a Getrag dogleg type ;) )
Value will definately depend on mileage, specification and condition, as well as colour. Service history will also need to be pretty good on one of these.
What does it sound like on start up from cold - they ALL have a slight clatter, but excessive top end noise may mean timing chain/valvegear issues (they need regular checking/adjustment)
Does it have any of these:
Full Leather trim
Air conditioning
Heated Seats
Electric Seats
Rear Headrests
etc

Remember that these cars are now only really popular with enthuisiasts - and they tend to be quite particular!

Values can range between roughly about £1000 for an old dog up to £5K+ for a mint, low mileage late example in excellent condition with all the right options etc.

A few more details would definately help (mileage, mot, tax, colour, options etc)

Also where you are from!:)

Hope this helps

William

hiya,

im in middlesex in the uk

it has full leather (vgc)
no aircon
manual seats and no seat heating

engine sounds fine at idle and at high revs.. no clatter. But slowing to a stop or changing gear you sometimes hear/feel a vibration (maybe teh transmission taking up the slack). Apart from that the car seems to drive extremely well. The 60k miles is totally genuine and like i said, whilst it doenst have every single bill.. it has all recent history and a fully stamped up book from the PDI to present day and this can be cross checked with garages records.

Mot and tax are till spring next year i think. Color is graphite grey.. ill probably get some new wheels for it cos they are a bit scuffed.

Hi,
Where abouts in Middlesex are you from?
I am from Hampton Court so I am probably not very far from you. I would be interested in seeing the car. Are you around this weekend?
You could either email me ([email protected]) or leave a reply on here.
Cheers
William

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom