Tuned/chipped cars - who's got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard W

Car
BMWs :-)
This idea has come from another thread, just as a matter of interest who has got a tuned/chipped car?

So far we've got:

Koolvin - C180 Turbo + Chipped
Jimmy - C180 Chipped
Mine - C220 Chipped
Steve - ML270 Chipped
Kenny - ML270 Chipped
Dorian - A170 & SL320 Chipped
Mark - Rover & Honda Turbos

Sorry if I've missed anyone, please let me know if I have.

I guess the question is everybody pleased with the mod and has it had the result that was wanted, or would you do it again?

I know I would! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

R

I beleive "chipping" a Deisel is alot more worth while/Noticable than a Petrol

Deisel - 25% Power Increase

Petrol - 10% Power Increase

Have all you guys notified your insurance ? What was there response / Any problems in that area ?

I’ve got an Ecotek valve fitted to my car which I think counts as tuning: Crisper acceleration and improved MPG.

Diesels are not noted for their 0-60 times, and the info I've seen would suggest that mine is possibly just under the 10 secs now. It certainly doesn't feel as fast as my Corrado did (I think that was 8.7) but it's definately better than the Volvo (10.2).

I'm a little concious of my clutch and license to do a 0-60, mind you I'm doing a rally in march where the stage runs on part of a dragstrip....... mmmm? ;)

The thing I've really noticed with the diesel chip is the in-gear acceleration, overtaking is a doddle as the torque just shoves the car down the road.

Aletank, yes you're right about the increases, but I think it's the turbo that makes the difference - ask Mark what he's getting from his!

No I didn't have any problems about insurance - under £100 for the mod. But I did take it off for the service last week! (invalidates the warranty!)

R

Re Insurance for mod on ML 270 Cdi

my insurers (royal & sun alliance) have insisted upon a 10% premium increase or £100 in my case.

:mad:

Originally posted by Aletank
I beleive "chipping" a Deisel is alot more worth while/Noticable than a Petrol

Not true, I think this is only the case when the diesel is turbocharged, if it's a NA diesel then it prolly has a similar effect to chipping an NA petrol engine. Supercharged and Turbocharged petrol engines can be 20% more powerful (c230k is an example) when "chipped". The chip usually alters the timing for things like the wastegate (or whatever) on a turbo and the clutch on a supercharger.

I wonder what's available for a w210 300TD...

EDIT: Just checked, this doesn't look bad at all: http://www.upsolute.com/database/english/sheets/217.html
pushes the bhp up from 177 to 205, torque from 243 ft/lb to 279 ft/lb, max speed up to 141 from 138 and fuel consumption gets improved all round too by at least 1mpg in each section (although it still uses a LOT of fuel! )

I have an A-170 cdi chipped . 127 hp / 256 nm:bannana:
And it goes like #*¤%:D

Originally posted by Koolvin
G's got SL/Evolution pedals!

Not in the end.

Got a CD-Holder too LOL.

Shude's grill is all mine too, as long as he does not need it himself.

I dunno, all this talk of non-performance related mods ;)

I was just wondering how many of us are always after that bit more oomph from their cars, I think it's interesting that the talk about mods on most forums are cosmetic.

Would anyone know about swapping performance parts from model to model to enhance handling/performance etc? :D

e.g. it's well known in VW circles that A8 brakes will fit on a Golf GTi and vastly improve the stopping power....

Does anyone have any info like that or am I just a bit thick and have missed the threads?

Please don't misunderstand me by thinking that I don't appreciate the time effort (and money!) that people put into improving their cars - I would just spend on performance first.....

(edit: I've just re-read this and realise how silly it sounds when I talk about looking at an ML as my next car.........!!!!!:crazy: )

R

Last edited:
Asked Upsolute about my car and this is the reply: -

Thanks for your mail and your interest in our products. Generally power increase is possible for your car but not by chiptuning. The new E320 CDI has to be directly tuned by the OBD-Board. That means we would have to read out your stock file directly through the diagnostic board. We do not offer this system at moment but will start within the next week. So if you let me know, wherer you live, our reseller can contact you once it is possible for your car. The price is arround 360 Euro incl. installation.
Powerincrease will be arround 35 HP and 100 NM.

Bearing in mind my Car is presently

204hp and 500 Nm now!!!!

It would be some engine modified.
:cool:

You know you want it Brian!

Go on, just think about it - more grunt than an E500......:D

R

Originally posted by Richard W
You know you want it Brian!
Go on, just think about it - more grunt than an E500......:D
R

Maybe, but as they have to Modify the OBD-Board I am sure the Dealer will notice, and bang goes my Warranty?

I think that I will wait until the warranty runs out-3 years.

My car has more Torque than the E500 now.:bannana:

Well we seem to have 2 extremes at the moment !
I am currently running a CLK500 with a Kleemann supercharger, high performance 4 bot brakes and 19" split rims - 510 Bhp 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and 198 mph !!!
These are rolling road tested and not just guess work, but the car that is impressing me at the mo is my partners.
An S320 Cdi with uprated suspension and 19" alloys and a new Kleemann chip upgrade producing approx 248 Bhp not yet tested on the rolling road, but pulls like a train and would definately put an S500 to shame !!!

Will hopefully take both cars on Sunday.

Now you're talking!:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Wouldn't it be something if MB actually realised that the UK buyers are prepared to accept diesels and bring in the good ones!

Could you imagine the 320CDi engine (Kleemann chipped!) in an ML!!!!!!:cool:

Now that's something I would buy!

R

Originally posted by 510Bhp
I guess you would be interested in a project Kleemann ML400 Cdi then ???:rock:

Too late for my E400CDI then, having just bought the E320CDI which is fast enough on English soil.

Speak to you Sunday? :D

Hi Luwin1026

What are the spec details on your C230K.
Do you actually run the Kleemann pulley kit AND the Upsolute chip ?
How are they working together ?
What Bhp are you running ?
I will be starting a CLK230K project very soon and i had considered the same, but assumed that it would not be beneficial to add a chip as well ??

Sounds intersting :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom