Tuned e55 amg plugs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDMUK

Car
E55 AMG
Anyone got a place to get them at a reasonable price? Read the NGK LFR7AIX plugs are the ones to go for? Everything I find online seems to be in America or Australia though?

I found them too, thought they were a little expensive compared to the prices on ebay but they are all usa or Australia :( £160 on plugs pains me lol

I found them too, thought they were a little expensive compared to the prices on ebay but they are all usa or Australia :( £160 on plugs pains me lol

Lol you have to pay to play I'm afraid or in this case wait for them to be shipped.

So in your other thread you have fitted a pulley and remap fitted kleeman headers and your worried about £160 :wallbash:

I'm not worried in any shape or form but when I can get 16 in America for $120 plus $12 shipping which works out to be £87.25 compared to the £160 plus £8 shipping in the uk... I don't think saying it pains me is unreasonable lol?! Since when is double the price for the exact same part reasonable?!

Agree, and was really thinking along the lines of Mrhanky, if you can wait for the shipping times go for it, no offence was meant:D

Which is the whole reason of this thread to see if anyone had a place in the uk etc to get them "at a reasonable price" lol!

No offence taken lol gonna make a few calls tomorrow :)

£168 was the cheapest UK set I found last year for the 7's. Can't remember where but I'll have a look tomorrow

That's the same price as I found chris, going to call a mate that works at gsf tomorrow and get him to use his staff discount lol also have a mate at litchfield motorsports looking for me too :)

LFR7AIX is a plug made for the American market, hence why it is cheaper over there and cannot be officially bought here. It has an iridium plated electrode.

In Europe we have a better plug with a tighter gap and iridium and platinum plated electrode, called ILFR7H. Essentially more expensive than the American counterpart and superior too due to use of platinum.

The question I have though is why do you think you need a colder plug than standard?

Was what I read was recommended? Headers and pulley.... Saw people satiating to go one step colder? Or is there a better plug that would suit my needs?

IMHO stick with OEM, running one step colder plugs for your setup is not required, the 55 platforms Achilles heel is cooling, you have already helped that by fitting a kleeman header in place of the stock exhaust unit which is a bottle neck for the exhaust gasses which helps dissipate heat from the engine, and gives a performance increase, and then you increased the temperatures again by fitting the upgraded pulley:D.

Have a read up if you want to control heat:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/160285-55k-cooling-upgrade.html

The one step colder plugs is one way of reducing internal temperatures but that can bring its own problems as the ecu controls retardation / fuel flows its expecting stock plugs to be fitted, don't forget your stock map and remap is expecting it as well.

The engine designers created this engine internally for the combustion process to run at a certain temperature, the 55 generates a massive amount of heat remapping upgrading SC and crank pulleys put even more strain on the engine.

The fail safes built into the engine management system are designed as that to stop engine damage, eg timing retardation, AFR's and one lots of 55 owners will have experienced SC disengagement.

The following from NGK Website, remember its already supercharged

Q: Are special plugs always necessary on a modified engine?

A: It depends on the modifications. The term "modified" refers to those engines that have received bolt-on improvements that may or may not raise the engine's total compression ratio. These can include turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide injection, the use of smaller-chambered cylinder heads, modified piston configurations, free-flowing cylinder heads, change of induction components and/or the use of different fuel types and octane. These kinds of modifications generally require a change from stock spark plugs.

Modifications that will typically not require specialized plugs (in most cases the factory installed plug will be more than adequate) include adding a free-flowing air filter, headers, mufflers and rear-end gears. Basically, any modification that does not alter the overall compression ratio will not usually necessitate changing plug types or heat ranges. Such minor modifications will not significantly increase the amount of heat in the combustion chamber, hence, a plug change is probably not warranted.

However, when compression is raised, along with the added power comes added heat. Since spark plugs must remove heat and a modified engine makes more heat, the spark plug must remove more heat. A colder heat range spark plug must be selected and plug gaps should be adjusted smaller to ensure proper ignitability in this denser air/fuel mixture.

Typically, for every 75-100 hp you add, you should go one step colder on the spark plug's heat range. A hotter heat range is not usually recommended except when severe oil or fuel fouling is occurring.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom