Tuning Box + Rolling Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
Well, today I finally took my car + tuning box from tandem tuning over to see Charlie (vixpy1) at Surrey Rolling Road, to see whether it really does make a difference to the power of the car.

Let me start by saying that I was convinced in any case that there is a serious power improvement to the car; what I wanted was concrete evidence that there has actually been an increase in bhp and torque.

My auto box was a bit of a pain - it's a tiptronic box and there is no way of forcing it to stay in a certain gear. But with a lot of hard work and playing with the tiptronic box, the winter setting and the ASR off button (and calibrating the rpm and loads of other stuff that I don't claim to begin to understand) Charlie finally got some accurate readings. I'm hoping he'll reply to this and explain exactly what happened, so you guys going for the rolling road day get an idea of what you'll be doing :)

The readings on the image are the power output at the wheels. This has approximately a loss of 25% from the "actual" engine power (don't ask, I'm just repeating what I've been told ;-). The blue line is the number without the tuning box, the brown line is the number with the tuning box. The higher pair of lines are the torque output at a given rpm (using the scale on the right, in ft/lb), the lower lines are the bhp using the scale on the left. As you can see, the highest point on the lower lines for each shows an increase from 144bhp at the wheels without the tuning box, to 183.2bhp with the tuning box. Allowing for about 25% loss of power to the wheels, this equates to an increase from 180bhp (which is less than the car *should* have normally) to almost 230bhp!

Also, look at the torque graph. The reason my car now drives more like a petrol car is because it's huge amounts of torque are available all through the rev range, not just in the low areas where the engine usually has its peak torque. The torque numbers are "lower" than they should actually be, but the thing that interests me really is the difference between them.

All in all, I'm pretty damn happy with the tuning box - for £230 I've gotten what looks like a 50bhp performance improvement, a whole load more torque all over the spectrum, plus the car uses less fuel. Best investment I ever made ;-)

-simon

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 304
Excellent update.

Can you give details of the Tuning Box you got?

Are there insurance implications?

Is it detectable by MB during service?

Is it easy to fit and remove without professional help?

Sorry for all the questions but I am seriously considering getting one of these for my E220CDI

Regards,

Goldfish

Right how much for an E300turbodiesel?
Very Impressed.

The unit I bought was:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7979860730&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

from

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...=7972061726&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID

(the top feedback entry there is from me ;-).

It was a doddle to fit - you take off the engine cover, pull out the cable that connects to the common rail, plug the cable to the box in between, and mount the box somewhere (I have it velcro'd to the top of the engine cover. To disable it, all you need to do is replace the box with a cap (that comes supplied). I removed it when it went in for service, call me paranoid if you will :)

Regarding the E300TD, the add says:

YOUR DIESEL NOT THE "CDi" (2001..>)?? JUST DROP US A LINE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE AS WE CAN NOW SUPPLY UNITS FOR THE earlier "td" Turbo Diesel MERCEDES ENGINES (on request).

So I guess they do them too - you'd have to ask ;-)

-simon

Hi Guys,

Simon is actually being pessimistic with the figs, had a chance to fiddle with the calculator this evening. Auto's always have high transmission losses, should be about 25%, but you take 25% off the flywheel fig (divide by wheel fig by .75).. so before it was actually putting out 192bhp standard.. up to 244bhp!!! I was very impressed with the improvement.

The torque figs are a bit lower than they should be because on the rollers the car must be 'loaded' to produce boost and therefore the torque. Normally the car should be held on full throttle and max load for a sec before we let it 'go' to let the boost built up. Now with the merc diesel this should be done at about 1000rpm to let the turbo spool, so it can produce max torque at about 1700rpm.. However, the tip box really did'nt like starting that low I'm afraid, so the runs had to be started higher, therefore missing the boost and torque targets. The Autobox tends to just absorb alot of the load when the car is held on the rollers and hence are very hard to hold anyway.

Both runs were done in the same fashion though and repeated with the same figs, so the increase is correct.

However, the max torque is not the whole story, we look for a good sustained torque curve,.. which is what we have there, bleedin fantastic, I will defo be enquireing about ome for the E300TD, and will report on improvements.

Cheers,

Charlie.

Got a bit confused reading so many figures - to confirm - that's 182 BHP @ the wheels?

Is that before or after the tuning box?

Either way I am impressed!!

vixpy1 said:
Simon is actually being pessimistic with the figs, had a chance to fiddle with the calculator this evening. Auto's always have high transmission losses, should be about 25%, but you take 25% off the flywheel fig (divide by wheel fig by .75)..
Ahhh, see what I was doing was adding 25% to the number at the wheel, whereas what you're saying is that the number at the wheel is 75% of the flywheel figure. Now I understand, thanks :)
vixpy1 said:
so before it was actually putting out 192bhp standard.. up to 244bhp!!!
Woo woo, more power than you can shake a stick at! 192bhp as standard is far more like what it *should* be as standard - the book says 197PS (that's the same as bhp right?). Damn that's nice :) Go forth and purchase, diesel owners!

GrahamC230K said:
Got a bit confused reading so many figures - to confirm - that's 182 BHP @ the wheels?

Is that before or after the tuning box?

Either way I am impressed!!

Final figures are:

Code:
Without Tuning Box:
144bhp - At the Wheels
192bhp - Estimated at Flywheel

With Tuning Box:
183bhp - At the Wheels
244bhp - Estimated at the Flywheel

Sorry for the confusion ;-)

-simon

At last some @the wheels figures to compare with.

My 230K is 166.8 at the wheels if I recall correctly. Your car must fly now.

Simon - what's driveability like with the tuning box fitted? I only ask because I had a 'similar' unit on my E320CDI and it made it extremely 'touchy' to drive in traffic - lots of power, but you needed a feather touch on the throttle in order to avoid serious whiplash. :)

vixpy1 said:
Hi Guys,

Simon is actually being pessimistic with the figs, had a chance to fiddle with the calculator this evening. Auto's always have high transmission losses, should be about 25%, but you take 25% off the flywheel fig (divide by wheel fig by .75).. so before it was actually putting out 192bhp standard.. up to 244bhp!!! I was very impressed with the improvement.

I got into all this figure changing when I had my car on the dyno. A fractional change in the figure you assume your transmission losses to be and you alter your BHP figure vastly.

Instead of guessing a transmission loss and assuming the car is better than the manufacturer figures claim, why not measure Rear Wheel BHP and calculate a transmission loss which is more in keeping with MB's claims for the real BHP of the engine? Then use that loss % to calculate the BHP from the RW BHP measure to comapre two more realistic numbers?

What would the numbers be then?

GrahamC230K said:
I got into all this figure changing when I had my car on the dyno. A fractional change in the figure you assume your transmission losses to be and you alter your BHP figure vastly.

Instead of guessing a transmission loss and assuming the car is better than the manufacturer figures claim, why not measure Rear Wheel BHP and calculate a transmission loss which is more in keeping with MB's claims for the real BHP of the engine? Then use that loss % to calculate the BHP from the RW BHP measure to comapre two more realistic numbers?

What would the numbers be then?

Well, the engine is supposed to be 197bhp standard.. and its putting out 192bhp using 25% .. so I would say that its a pretty good loss fig. You cannot ever calculate losses, they are always an estimate. The wheel figs are what is measured, and so that is what is used in the graph comparison.

On My E300td if you use the same loss fig you get very close to the claimed fig.

Flywheel figs are generally for pub talk, but it does'nt change the increase in the wheel figs that was measured, I was just trying to give an indication of the flywheel figs.

Whoa Simon, with those figures your car surely can rocket outta space and give the new 535D a run for its money, who needs twin turbo...long live diesel tuning!!!:)

vixpy1 said:
Flywheel figs are generally for pub talk, but it does'nt change the increase in the wheel figs that was measured, I was just trying to give an indication of the flywheel figs.

For sure, I see the increase and very sizeable it is too.

I wish manufacturers quoted BHP at the wheels - would make comparisons so much easier!

GrahamC230K said:
I wish manufacturers quoted BHP at the wheels - would make comparisons so much easier!

So do we, it would make the tuning industry alot more transparent to the consumer.

Hi

I doubt the E300TD would have the same increase but heres hoping :) :) .

Email from Tandem Tuning below

Hi Brian,

We stock tuning units for the E300 TD..

Performance stats attached..

The units are £249.00 + £10.00 next day shipping…

We supply the units with wiring diagram and a three year warranty..

The unit wire (4 wires) onto your ECU harness connector plug.. should take competent mechanic no more that t

30 mins to fit..

Feel free to email if you require additional info..

Model BHP TT BHP Torque TT Torque

Mercedes E 300 TD
130 / 177 PS
150 / 204 PS
330 Nm
380 Nm

Regards

Brian Williams

Tandem Tuning ltd.

What engine ?

Dear All,
I have a E220 cdi first registered 27/08/99.

WDB2100062A978144
Eng No 6119XXXXXXXXXX what BHP do I have ?

I fancy one of those box of tricks.

Thank Merc 808

Last edited by a moderator:
Merc808 said:
Dear All,
I have a E220 cdi first registered 27/08/99.

WDB2100062A978144
Eng No 6119XXXXXXXXXX what BHP do I have ?

I fancy one of those box of tricks.

Thank Merc 808

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think I would publish both the vin and the engine number?

Take care
John

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom