Tuning is a waste of money: Tell me i'm wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You'll certainly waste lots of money but whether its worth it is down to how much pleasure it gives the owner of the car.

Tuning a Corsa on the other hand must be a road to nowhere.

He is obviously right. On previous Mercedes I've modded virtually everything I could because it IS fun to track down the parts, gain the knowledge and make it happen.
On this car I added Comand/Linguatronic (Utterly essential IMHO), I changed my door mirrors to the better looking LED Facelift version (IMHO), I changed the rear lights to the LED version because it is better looking (IMHO), I've changed the wheels partly to have two sets (Summer/Winter) partly for looks, I've added paddleshift which helps me enjoy the car's performance more. Will I see any financial benefit???? Actually maybe, because my previous cars sold very easily because they looked so good and had all of the bits.

What I haven't done with this car is change the technical spec at all. It has standard brake's, suspension and engine. It Dyno'ed with a RWHP figure higher than a remapped car with the same engine. If I change the exhaust or headers it will only give me marginal gains 10-15bhp (maybe) so unless I send it to Brabus to be bored out to 4 litres then I doubt it will feel much different so why bother. I maybe approaching the optimum point beyond which further mods begin to detract rather than add....

It Dyno'ed with a RWHP figure higher than a remapped car with the same engine.
No surprise there.
It never ceases to amaze me that people think a n/a petrol engine can make more power with a remap.
If I change the exhaust or headers it will only give me marginal gains 10-15bhp
What are headers?

LOL with a huge amount of irony. I have to report that as I was typing my earlier post, the postie came with my latest mod! I'm replacing the gear surround to gain the manual mode button just to complete my paddleshift mod :) :)

IMG-20140319-00092_zpsdb2c7bbe.jpg

IMG-20140319-00093_zpsf906a2d2.jpg

EDIT.

Now fitted and working and illumination is working as well :)

IMG-20140319-00094_zpsfededf3a.jpg

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me that people think a n/a petrol engine can make more power with a remap.

50-70BHP gains on a standard 450bhp C63 are pretty impressive for a N/A....
However i know that this is probably a one off and was a deliberate "de-tune" by MB

50-70BHP gains on a standard 450bhp C63 are pretty impressive for a N/A....
However i know that this is probably a one off and was a deliberate "de-tune" by MB

It was deliberate. The throttle opening is restricted to reduce output.

I think mods to improve spec using OEM items is all good... Its when you start messing with engines, tuning ECU's etc that it starts to devalue the car.

I would certainly not touch any car that I know is tuned, remapped etc... Its just a massive can of worms.

Spending money on tuning you car is a personal choice, I would suspect most realise you won't make the cash back, in some rare cases you'll get some of it back if sold to a like minded buyer.

Plenty fall foul of either going down the wrong route or over doing it, but thats all part of the game.

But I wouldn't go saying its a waste of money, if you want to do it and you enjoy it then why not, who's to tell you what to spend your money on?

Lots of things in life are a waste of money, but you've got to have some fun with it !

Tuning is a hobby and like numerous hobbies costs varying amount of money. As long as you aren't doing it for a financial return, then the issue of money is simply affordability. I've done it, got very satisfactory results out of my BMW 2002 when it worked, and I am having new injectors, an ECU and sensors fitted to my Citroen SM, principally to improve the rotten injection system on it, plus get better economy and a bit more oomph. I could get my Allard tuned much further, but with stock suspension and brakes I'd be out of my mind. In each case the work has (or might have in the SM's case) improved the cars driveability and saleability, but financially it has not been sound, like virtually any spending on cars.

No surprise there.

What are headers?

On what basis/evidence?

I blame my Tuning on a "mid life Crisis".............And Acid at MSL :)

Your cash/your pleasure Lee.

A pal of mine spent £800 on a cartridge (needle) for his Linn hifi and I know someone else who spent just shy of £3000 on a bit of wood and strings in the shape of a guitar.

Addiction takes many forms, some better for your health than others :crazy:.

Some men like footy, fishing, gambling, model railways, fine wines, cycling, etc.

Some men like cars.

All men spend lots of money on their hobbies.

It does no harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom