Tuning options for w202 C230k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NicDale

Car
'91 190E 2.5-16V
Looks like i'm going to inherit a C230k and having had a back ground in supercharged Golf's was wonder what the options for cost effective tuning are for this engine? Been reading about the Sprintbooster and that sounds like the first step but after that i'm wondering who (if anyone) offers the simple small pulley and re-map for these engines?

Thanks in advance!

ps - yes i do realise a C36 is probably the quick way to a faster C but there's free and there's £4k+ :)

I enquired about a re-map from chip-tek, promised 40bhp (altough i'd be happy/surprised with half), there is also a modified pulley available, check the club202.com forum as a few guys there have done it. I believe it's a kleeman kit.

Apparently not many gains to be had messing with the air intake, as Mercedes did a pretty good job with the stock parts. I wouldnt go with a K&N as there are claims that the oils in the filter mess with your MAF.

Exhaust will free up a bit of power, as would a sports/freer flowing cat. I'm picking up a remus back-box soon so will post if it makes any difference.

The engine's are rock solid and can deal with much more power than they create, yet because of their rarity tuning past the above bits gets expensive :(

Other than that, could drop some weight from the car - depends how far you want to take it really! If you're after the sprintbooster it must be a auto, so im not sure if there are other specific mods available as mine's a manual.

If you find anything else let me know, i've got one as a bit of a project (ie. I'm fixing the broken bits before making it faster :D) but have kept an eye out for any performance mods.

Puts out just under 200bhp standard, im sure with the above mods you could realistically reach 250bhp, all depends on how fast you want to make it?! :bannana:

Only the pulley, preferably then with a remap to get the fuelling safe and optimal timing etc will make anything other than a neligable difference.

However I don't know anywhere doing it in the UK, let alone somewhere that has done a few and is reputable.

Last edited:
Try tdi-plc they are kleeman agents in the uk they do upgrades,they are getting a price together just now for a conversion for me.They have price lists on there site.

I once had my Cooper S tuned by Hartge through Birds, i've had a quick look and while they only offer this for the CLK230K i can't see why it wouldn't work for the C230k? Bit pricey perhaps but a very reputable company!

http://www.birds.uk.com/1-PDFs/20811320500.pdf

Nic

All you need is a larger crank pulley from www.aspracing.com
They supply all that is required depending on the year.

Engine management system Will adj to extra boost and provide fuelling. Early models (prob pre2000) require an fuel pressure reg of a few pounds higher, Will come with kit if required.
Many, many fitted from chaps on http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Including me on my 98 Slk 230

Bazzle

How much of a difference did you notice Bazzle?? much extra power? If so Im guessing its across the wole rev-range?

BTW, chiptek wanted £250 to remap the ECU, no idea about their reputability though :crazy:

I would do the chip tuning only after you have done everything else like the pulley mod, exhaust, etc., so that it take into account all changes you plan to make. Kleeman kits are out of production for the W202 from what I understand. From what I have read, the Kleeman kit was more highly regarded because it was a whole new pulley vs. the ASP which is a modification of a standard pully to increase its diameter.

Now i`m only guessing here, but if your going to be spinning the supercharger faster all the time, it might be an idea to replace the bearings at the same time as doing the pulley, as the higher rpms and tighter belt if you get the bigger pulley must put some extra load on the bearings. When I was thinking about buying a clk230k I saw you could buy the bearings from the states for about £20

Early supercharger only clutches in as required which is not a lot unless your doing very high speed with continuous accel. Even then I doubt bearings will be affected as these cars are designed for high speed autobahn work that has higher sustainable revs than most of us in other parts of the world will ever see.

The power difference is noticeable. Seems to come in a bit earlier on take off.
I had an... ahemm.. drag with a standard R171 SLK230. We were both doing 200kph, I put my foot down and overtook, he couldnt keep up. (both auto)

Same chap purchased an slk350 (R171).
We went for a long county run, he could match my accel but could not get past, same thing with me following, I just hung on to his tail. He has a bit more initial take off from stop.

Best $1000 ozzie Ive ever spent on a performance mod.:)

Ask on Benzworld in the C230 section??

Bazzle

Cheers, if my 126,000 miles steed can handle the extra bang then i'll add it to the mod list :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom