Tunit box and clutch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kamsingh

I just fitted a tunit box to my CLK 270 cdi, and wow what a huge power increase, it really makes me smile everytime i boot it. However i was wondering is there a risk to my clutch, does anyone know what figures the clutch can handle?

Sometimes there is a weird smell after i boot the car, but it doesnt smell like clutch, more like an oily smell.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Kam

I have a CLK 270 cdi. If you haven't been on a rolling road what bhp and torque figures were you quoted?

I just fitted a tunit box to my CLK 270 cdi, and wow what a huge power increase, it really makes me smile everytime i boot it. However i was wondering is there a risk to my clutch, does anyone know what figures the clutch can handle?

Sometimes there is a weird smell after i boot the car, but it doesnt smell like clutch, more like an oily smell.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Kam

I had a similar box on my C270 cdi, it boosted the power by 25%ish. However a word of warning. The fuel pump failed, the high pressure rail started to leak and the cat got blocked. All these things failed after I had had the box on the car for a few thousand miles. The car also produced more black smoke due to the unburnt fuel

I had a similar box on my C270 cdi, it boosted the power by 25%ish. However a word of warning. The fuel pump failed, the high pressure rail started to leak and the cat got blocked. All these things failed after I had had the box on the car for a few thousand miles. The car also produced more black smoke due to the unburnt fuel

Thanks for the warning ;)

well i was quoted around 205bhp on setting 6, however they said these were modest figures. I got the tunit on the max setting of 9, and i havent rolling-road tested it. However with a stop watch im gettin about a 7 second 0-60 time.

This is a huge improvement in performance, and feels like a tottaly different car. However i am worried about the clutch etc.

PS. my car is the 5 speed automatic

Cheers

Kam

This is a huge improvement in performance, and feels like a tottaly different car. However i am worried about the clutch etc.

PS. my car is the 5 speed automatic

No clutch on a proper auto, so no need to worry about that. Fuel system is most likely cause of concern IMHO.

as ckmember, run the box on 9 all the time and you are definitely asking for fuel pump failure and rail leaks, some of these boxes take the parameters beyond acceptable limits. Also if you are seeing an increase in black smoke under hard accelaration then I would start to get concerned about the CAT too. I ran a tunit box on a Seat Cupra 150 bhp Diesel and wish I had not bothered spent £400 on the box and then another £1k putting right the faults it caused. If you pop over to the BMW forum you will see some horror stories on Tunit boxes, the one they all seem to go for is the Spider tuning box which seems from their comments at least pretty reliable. The true and best way is to have the car remapped at least you then know for sure you are operating in safe parameters that the cars components can handle.

as ckmember, run the box on 9 all the time and you are definitely asking for fuel pump failure and rail leaks, some of these boxes take the parameters beyond acceptable limits. Also if you are seeing an increase in black smoke under hard accelaration then I would start to get concerned about the CAT too. I ran a tunit box on a Seat Cupra 150 bhp Diesel and wish I had not bothered spent £400 on the box and then another £1k putting right the faults it caused. If you pop over to the BMW forum you will see some horror stories on Tunit boxes, the one they all seem to go for is the Spider tuning box which seems from their comments at least pretty reliable. The true and best way is to have the car remapped at least you then know for sure you are operating in safe parameters that the cars components can handle.

I think your probably right and should turn the tunit down to setting 6 as it came standard. Assuming that 205 is what brabus thinks the car should be running at maximum, i think i will leave it at that number.

However my car has only got 36K on the clock, and im thinkin about selling it in a year, i hope i dont get any problems in that time.

I really wish i got a bigger engine car, however i got the car when i was 20, and im only 21 now, and it was really hard to get insured on the clk 270 cdi let alone any other car lol (and yep i have told my insurance company about the tuning box, and it added a £100 premium to it). I really just needed an economical car, which also had a bit of go in it aswell and thats why i got the 270 cdi, as im a medical student and do quite a bit of miles for hospital attachments.

However my car has only got 36K on the clock, and im thinkin about selling it in a year, i hope i dont get any problems in that time.

One interesting point to take into consideration is that if you fit a Brabus D box they recommend you DON'T fit it to a car with over 18,000 miles - then a second point is Mercedes will reduce the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty to a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty.

So the questions I would be asking myself what do Brabus and Mercedes know that Tunit don't???

I had a tunit unit on an old disco of mine not very good at all ended up getting it rechipped this was better especially in the mid range.

Lynall

This is correct ,

"Boxes" are Generic there for One size fits all

Meaning not developed form LIVE data log's (to find exactly how its running)

Tuning box's Just simply confuse the ECU by falsifying Data relayed to the ECU - Temp - pressure's - ECT

Therefore has not limit to what it can corrupt or adjust

a remap is a new programme therefore it has limits and is in total control unlike the box and is created to the spec of the customer

EG Flat spot @ 2200rpm

limiter removal - adjustment

Gearbox Syncro - Reprogramme Shift patterns

This can all be done with a Custom Remap

The majority of Box's dont have any approval or warranty

(Thay may cover the unit but unlike a custom map not the vehicle)

Kind Regards *** Tuning

*** tuning, how much increase in power do u think my car can handle safely? i want it to be runnin at max power...

We would Warrant Upto 45 BHP and 90 NM ...

Regards *** Tuning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom