TUNNEL BORING MACHINE HS2 TBM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Wonder what its carbon footprint will be ?- digging10 miles of concrete and steel lined dual tunnel under the Chilterns?

ps its German ;)

TBM for giant Thames sewer being taken away having worked hard

70E2C45C-805E-47EA-B450-359225485E75.jpeg

262F2F9D-0BDE-4EBF-8FD1-30DBFC4C6760.jpeg

53E9A1CA-AAC5-4830-B2E9-EA18802F7984.jpeg

C5885AFB-CAD7-438F-908E-A91EC9A1BF1C.jpeg

27C7329B-56CD-4B49-BB2E-ADBA0E79F7D9.jpeg

No real engineering need to bore these tunnels, just the political power of keeping the residents of the Chiltern area happy. Once it gets beyond the northern portals of these tunnels they are more than happy for it to be visible in cuttings, embankments and viaducts regardless of the impact on those residents and their environs.

Just fascinated by the engineering involved-- lots of video on youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m
Just fascinated by the engineering involved-- lots of video on youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Im working on HS2 at the West Ruislip portal.

Wonder what its carbon footprint will be ?- digging10 miles of concrete and steel lined dual tunnel under the Chilterns?
[1-10-2020/[/URL]
Sometimes there is a cost to progress, to hopefully get more cars off the road and use a railway that is powered by renewable resources.

Sometimes there is a cost to progress, to hopefully get more cars off the road and use a railway that is powered by renewable resources.
The majority of people against HS2 are old fogies.
Give it 15 years, they’ll all be brown bread and the world will have moved on.

Tell me more.
I work for NR, amongst other interactions with Hs2 along it's route I'm having to deal with the aftermath of the recovery of the carriage siding at West Ruislip. I hope everything is going well your side of the fence.

I work for NR, amongst other interactions with Hs2 along it's route I'm having to deal with the aftermath of the recovery of the carriage siding at West Ruislip. I hope everything is going well your side of the fence.
So far so good.
We do all the temporary electrical and mechanical and we are covering 6 sites (soon to be 8) around that area.

I’ve only been there a week so it’s early days for me.

For me I suppose I have to ask WHY wasn't a UK company product selected to do that project?
Tuercas viejas

Please keep posting the updates - I love hearing "on the ground" reports from big projects like these. Obviously there will be documentaries made, but the first 30 minutes will be "What is a train?" and "where is Birmingham" etc so will be mega dull. What's the efficiency like on these borers compared to the channel tunnel ones? Presume the mechanics are similar, but perhaps can go faster with better guidance? Do they ever get re-used, or is that big fella scrap now as the diameter/cutting head specific to this one job? I didn't know I had so many unanswered questions about tunnel drilling!

Some of the best things so far about Hs2 is the archaeology they are doing along the route, the roundhouse at Curzon Street is fascinating. It is also one of the reasons it is so expensive, along with things like the "Sheephouse Wood Bat Mitigation Structure" (Google it); I understand the "need" for it but question whether it is a good way to spend tax payers money.

Some of the best things so far about Hs2 is the archaeology they are doing along the route, the roundhouse at Curzon Street is fascinating. It is also one of the reasons it is so expensive, along with things like the "Sheephouse Wood Bat Mitigation Structure" (Google it); I understand the "need" for it but question whether it is a good way to spend tax payers money.
Reminds me of a pipeline we were building in Australia.

Every inch of the route had to be inspected by "eco warriors” and aboriginal committees. Lizards had to be relocated and if the aboriginal committee deemed a spot a sacred or culturally important, or an endangered species lived on the route, the pipeline (60” diameter) had to be rerouted.

For me I suppose I have to ask WHY wasn't a UK company product selected to do that project?
Same goes for the rolling stock- bids tendered by:
Alsthom
CAF
Bombardier/Hitachi
Siemens
Talgo
(admittedly a couple of the above have UK factories)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom