TUNNEL BORING MACHINE HS2 TBM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me I suppose I have to ask WHY wasn't a UK company product selected to do that project?
Tuercas viejas
The real question is why wasn't a Chinese company selected to build Hs2? If you look back at the bids they came up with we'd have been quids in!!

Because they don’t care about safety or workers rights.
It was a kind of tongue in cheek rhetorical question really, though I'm sure any contractors they engaged would have had to abide by out H&S and employment laws.

For me I suppose I have to ask WHY wasn't a UK company product selected to do that project?
Tuercas viejas
When it comes to tunneling they seem to be the GO TO people- some history-I am always curious how these companies come about-maybe close proximity to the ALPS???

THEY APPEAR TO HAVE GONE THRO SOME ROUGH TIMES IN RECENT YEARS UNCLEAR WHO OWNS THEM NOW.
IRRC AFTER THE CHANNEL TUNNEL WAS COMPLETED THEY CUT A SIDE TUNNEL=DEAD END AND LEFT THE TUNNEL BORING RIG IN SITU?

IRRC AFTER THE CHANNEL TUNNEL WAS COMPLETED THEY CUT A SIDE TUNNEL=DEAD END AND LEFT THE TUNNEL BORING RIG IN SITU?

They did , the one from the UK side was buried and the one from the French side was dismantled and moved onto something else.

Dad worked down there for around 10 years , we have a box of "Tunnel" stuff in a cupboard , it contains all his bronze breakthrough medals , chalk from the seabed , loads of other bits and bobs including one of the cutting tips from the drill heads.

K

IIRC the TBM for the channel tunnel service bore sat next to the motorway for a while , or was that a spare ? I remember seeing it , but then again in my youth I remember seeing pink elephants ...flying.

IIRC the TBM for the channel tunnel service bore sat next to the motorway for a while , or was that a spare ? I remember seeing it , but then again in my youth I remember seeing pink elephants ...flying.
No you're right. At one point there was one on a plinth at Folkestone (and a similar one in France I believe also).
Dunno if either are still there. AFAIK there were 11 TBMs in total - one was auctioned on eBay for charityo_O

No you're right. At one point there was one on a plinth at Folkestone (and a similar one in France I believe also).
Dunno if either are still there. AFAIK there were 11 TBMs in total - one was auctioned on eBay for charityo_O
Yup , that's right I remember now , I was commuting to Belgium every second weekend at the time , phew , thank fruck , I thought the Pink Elephants I saw had come back . Having said that I had my fair share of Belgium lager over the years . This one springs to mind = Pink Elephant . :eek:

1621081877254.png

I am always amazed at how close the get when they meet. I mean a couple of inches up/down and right/ left when you have dug a 20 mile tunnel !!!

I started watching a documentary on it once .

But I got bored and turned it off ....I will get my coat 🧥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom