Tunnels and your inner child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psilonaught

Car
W212 E63
Drove to Portsmouth yesterday for a bizzzness meeting as Jeremy would say and went through a very nice tunnel coming down from Guildford. Open Pano room, sport+, drop into second. Gotta love the classic AMG sound! So loud I must have looked completely mad lol.

Anyone got any nice tunnels near them? The Dartford is rubbish IMHO, hard to get the sound and usually too busy.

Both Mersey tunnels but one is a 30 limit and the other a 40....
However I have been known to slow right down just so I can ‘whizz’ up to those speeds in a childish way

Psilonaught, that is the Hinds Head Tunnel on the A3. My SL55 top down at full throttle in there is splendid. First time my (then) 10 year old was in the car with me I think he needed new underpants.

Richard

There is a tunnel on the A40 going into London near Perivale I think. I usually have the windows down.

Last time I went through the Hindhead tunnel it was absolutely chaotic with traffic on a late Friday afternoon which distracted from the object. I was in the Wallasey tunnel a couple of weeks ago and again, wall to wall traffic so no fun to be had again. :(

There's a nice walled section on the A50 heading out of Stoke towards Derby. Not a tunnel as such but a good cutting with 20'+ walls to make a nice echo chamber. :)

Not that I would condone such a thing of course...

Takes me a while on that road as it’s hard not to turn around and go back through again......

I like the Southwick Tunnel down here near Brighton. It’s not very long but it’s always a clean run and easy to go up and down through.

You’re right about Dartford, it’s too congested, it’s 50mph avg speed and at the other end the police sometimes wait, no doubt listening for people like us. I do enjoy the people in there though, some guys smiling and giving thumbs up, others thinking you’re a bell end; they’re probably right :D.

We have the now infamous Manchester Airport tunnels up here which used to be good for a blast.

Unfortunately, so many talented (though not in the art of car control) people used to play in them and write their £250+k cars off that there is usually a high police presence there now.

Drove to Portsmouth yesterday for a bizzzness meeting as Jeremy would say and went through a very nice tunnel coming down from Guildford. Open Pano room, sport+, drop into second. Gotta love the classic AMG sound! So loud I must have looked completely mad lol.

Anyone got any nice tunnels near them? The Dartford is rubbish IMHO, hard to get the sound and usually too busy.

It is a nice tunnel, very popular around our parts with every petrol head. Although there have been average speed cameras from day one most slow down to drop a few gears then blast away.

Not that close, but the tunnel from Aosta in the Italian Alps through to Laussane in Switzerland is long, and wide, and on a 500 gold Star BSA is simply something else. Magic!

Ahh the Hindhead tunnel on the A3 is the one you (OP) are talking about. I frequent it far more than is good for me. There are average cameras inside, so all windows down, slow down to 30 at the entrance hold it in second then let it go. Sound is fantastic in the right car.

We don't have many tunnels in the Midlands and have to make do with Great Charles Street Queensway in the centre of Birmingham.

M4 brynglas tunnel Newport

70_A72555-0_A09-4936-_B605-_C3_AF16_C65_B93.jpg

Nothing like the ones I went through in the c63 in Austria, Used half a tank in one tunnel! They go on for miles.

I have quite a few near me in Leeds with one being quite long, then loop back round and come back.

Last time I went through the Hindhead tunnel it was absolutely chaotic with traffic on a late Friday afternoon which distracted from the object. I was in the Wallasey tunnel a couple of weeks ago and again, wall to wall traffic so no fun to be had again. :(

There's a nice walled section on the A50 heading out of Stoke towards Derby. Not a tunnel as such but a good cutting with 20'+ walls to make a nice echo chamber. :)

Not that I would condone such a thing of course...

Of course not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hindhead tunnel is awesome. I did suggest using it for the BOTG convoy - a dozen AMGs going through would be immense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom