Tunnels and your inner child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went through the Hindhead Tunnel with an RS Focus (not mine I was in the 124) that was popping, banging and flaming. It was like bonfire night. I have to admit I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the now infamous Manchester Airport tunnels up here which used to be good for a blast.

Unfortunately, so many talented (though not in the art of car control) people used to play in them and write their £250+k cars off that there is usually a high police presence there now.

Yeah Plod like to park up by the airport emergency services gates between the two tunnels. Still good for a quick downshift though. Giraffe neck ruined it for us!

A personal favourite is the little 30 yard tunnels underneath the motorway where you come off at a junction, Best part is you can keep going round and round to your hearts content!

Much prefer driving under bridges to tunnels for this. You get the benefit of a larger, semi enclosed area vs. booming cacophony of a narrow tube. Easier on ears too.

As I went to get back in the car in Maidstone (Large Multi-Storey Car Park) on a busy lunch time. A very nice lade kindly started up her C63. The resultant "bark" set off car alarms, rattled ceiling lights and awoke sleeping infants in their push chairs. One particular couple who were rather close to the start up explosion at detonation, must have missed the countdown, their child certainly did and appeared to require it's jumps suit emptying out into the nearest drain.

The parents took some umbrage at this and started berated the lady with the C63 in less than flattering terms. They seemed to think that it was a deliberate act done for her amusement and their child's distress (I suspect neither). But it did result in an unpleasant row, with others seemingly only too happy to join in on the side of the parents.

I cannot comment as I have de-catted C55 and rather like the sound of it in tunnels, car parks etc. Not that I like the sound of screaming infants.

As I went to get back in the car in Maidstone (Large Multi-Storey Car Park) on a busy lunch time. A very nice lade kindly started up her C63. The resultant "bark" set off car alarms, rattled ceiling lights and awoke sleeping infants in their push chairs. One particular couple who were rather close to the start up explosion at detonation, must have missed the countdown, their child certainly did and appeared to require it's jumps suit emptying out into the nearest drain.

The parents took some umbrage at this and started berated the lady with the C63 in less than flattering terms. They seemed to think that it was a deliberate act done for her amusement and their child's distress (I suspect neither). But it did result in an unpleasant row, with others seemingly only too happy to join in on the side of the parents.

I cannot comment as I have de-catted C55 and rather like the sound of it in tunnels, car parks etc. Not that I like the sound of screaming infants.
Must have had the exhaust tinkered with to create such a stir.

Mine has had primary’s and secondary’s removed and I know exactly what your talking about. Even when I start mine up in a petrol station after re fuelling it makes people jump. I don’t use mine daily so not to bad but if I’m in a multi story I do double check there’s no toddlers around before I fire it up. It still makes my 4 year old jump when she’s at the door and I start mine up on the drive.

Hindhead and Hatfield are the 2 that I mostly play in, late evening runs in the Hindhead tunnel are always fun but during the day/early evening it is often too busy.

Dublin Port tunnel...2.8 miles long.

Mine has had primary’s and secondary’s removed and I know exactly what your talking about. Even when I start mine up in a petrol station after re fuelling it makes people jump. I don’t use mine daily so not to bad but if I’m in a multi story I do double check there’s no toddlers around before I fire it up. It still makes my 4 year old jump when she’s at the door and I start mine up on the drive.

No offence intended, but I think that altering your car's exhaust to the extent that they startle others are a bit anti-social. It always suprises me when people are suprised that their neighbours complain about being woken up by cold starts on decatted/downpiped cars. I think the amount of noise my stock exhaust makes is borderline and I feel a bit embarassed if I have to take the car somewhere late at night or early in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to see things from other's point of view - it wouldnt be nice to live with a neighbor idling a very noisey car at 05:30 in the morning.

My route to work takes me through a mile long, country lane on the outskirts of Southampton
And just before the end of it is the tunnel under the whole 6 lanes of the M27

It's only a V6, but open the roof, drop the windows and drop a gear or two for three seconds of howl

3 seconds only, but every day (nearly)...:)

There’s a nice tunnel on the A1M near Hatfield under the Galeria. Went through there this evening with the roof open and accelerating hard up to the speed limit of 70 ;). As fabes said, even a V6 can sound good.

Much prefer driving under bridges to tunnels for this. You get the benefit of a larger, semi enclosed area vs. booming cacophony of a narrow tube. Easier on ears too.

Dunno about that. The guy in a convertible mini seemed to enjoy my downshifting when I was alongside him in the airport tunnels this morning LMAO!! :)

No offence intended, but I think that altering your car's exhaust to the extent that they startle others are a bit anti-social. It always suprises me when people are suprised that their neighbours complain about being woken up by cold starts on decatted/downpiped cars. I think the amount of noise my stock exhaust makes is borderline and I feel a bit embarassed if I have to take the car somewhere late at night or early in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to see things from other's point of view - it wouldnt be nice to live with a neighbor idling a very noisey car at 05:30 in the morning.
No offence taken. Each to there own and all that. As i only use the car on the odd weekend for a bit of fun im not likely to start it at 5:30am.

If i lived on a street where i didnt get on with neighbours and thought it would pi$$ them off because my car is to loud i would move lol.

Maybe its because i live out in the sticks and what neighbours i do have either love the sound of the c63 or have bikes with race pipes and sports cars.

But yes i guess if you lived in a built up area it may get annoying to a non petrol head.

No offence taken. Each to there own and all that. As i only use the car on the odd weekend for a bit of fun im not likely to start it at 5:30am.

If i lived on a street where i didnt get on with neighbours and thought it would pi$$ them off because my car is to loud i would move lol.

Maybe its because i live out in the sticks and what neighbours i do have either love the sound of the c63 or have bikes with race pipes and sports cars.

But yes i guess if you lived in a built up area it may get annoying to a non petrol head.
Fair play! Lucky you [emoji3]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I drove from France to Geneva airport at the weekend and my god what a drive it was. So many tunnels and there was actually a Golf R32 convoy that followed most of the way who joined in with the fun on the tunnels. Will be a very regular trip for visits to the UK (Home).

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom