Tunnels and your inner child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I drove from France to Geneva airport at the weekend and my god what a drive it was. So many tunnels and there was actually a Golf R32 convoy that followed most of the way who joined in with the fun on the tunnels. Will be a very regular trip for visits to the UK (Home).

Dan

Pardon? :)

No offence intended, but I think that altering your car's exhaust to the extent that they startle others are a bit anti-social. It always suprises me when people are suprised that their neighbours complain about being woken up by cold starts on decatted/downpiped cars. I think the amount of noise my stock exhaust makes is borderline and I feel a bit embarassed if I have to take the car somewhere late at night or early in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to see things from other's point of view - it wouldnt be nice to live with a neighbor idling a very noisey car at 05:30 in the morning.

I actually agree. My e63 is loud enough on stock which is why I don't want to alter the exhaust. I live in a village and don't want everyone thinking I'm a ****!

I live in a small cul de sac with 12 homes, fortunately nice people and seemingly tolerant- I frequently work abroad and take my car to the airport at ungodly hours....
I can’t imagine what they’re thinking at 5.30am on a winter morning after start up!

No offence intended, but I think that altering your car's exhaust to the extent that they startle others are a bit anti-social. It always suprises me when people are suprised that their neighbours complain about being woken up by cold starts on decatted/downpiped cars. I think the amount of noise my stock exhaust makes is borderline and I feel a bit embarassed if I have to take the car somewhere late at night or early in the morning.

Sometimes it pays to see things from other's point of view - it wouldnt be nice to live with a neighbor idling a very noisey car at 05:30 in the morning.

I know what you mean. My ideal would be for my car to be quieter on the outside and noisier on the inside, so I can enjoy it more without annoying people.

In a demonstration of massive childishness, I have started occasionally driving with the boot open a crack (it's an estate) which gives you direct access to the noise the car makes, and is quite eye opening! You really don't get a fraction of the sound from inside normally. But if you hit a bump it tends to close the boot on you and end the fun. :D

I live in a small cul de sac with 12 homes, fortunately nice people and seemingly tolerant- I frequently work abroad and take my car to the airport at ungodly hours....
I can’t imagine what they’re thinking at 5.30am on a winter morning after start up!
If I'm sneaking away early, I tend to put the car into drive or reverse so the revs drop immediately after starting it. You can then creep away relatively quietly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean. My ideal would be for my car to be quieter on the outside and noisier on the inside, so I can enjoy it more without annoying people.

In a demonstration of massive childishness, I have started occasionally driving with the boot open a crack (it's an estate) which gives you direct access to the noise the car makes, and is quite eye opening! You really don't get a fraction of the sound from inside normally. But if you hit a bump it tends to close the boot on you and end the fun. :D
You get the same effect by dropping the rear windows a bit. When it's warm, it's great to drive with the sunroof open and windows dropped a little through tunnels and cuttings. It is amazing how much volume there is when you use full throttle and rev it out.

Believe me, the estate boot open a crack is a LOT more effective than rear windows open. And it doesn't need tunnels or cuttings to bounce the sound back to you.

Doesn't the car bong at you for driving along with the boot open?

Believe me, the estate boot open a crack is a LOT more effective than rear windows open. And it doesn't need tunnels or cuttings to bounce the sound back to you.

This is absolutely true. Rear windows don’t compare. It’s worth having the estate for this alone. If if you drive off slowly it sounds amazing. Even a warm start with the boot open slightly is loud.

If I'm sneaking away early, I tend to put the car into drive or reverse so the revs drop immediately after starting it. You can then creep away relatively quietly.

The bi turbo won’t do that Alex- it’s designed to heat up the turbos quickly as possible so it bypasses the cats on the exhaust for the first minute or so. It’s recommrnded to wait before putting it into gear and moving off before that’s happened
So for the first minute or so on start up especially in winter it’s louder than the na engine

Doesn't the car bong at you for driving along with the boot open?

It bongs a couple of times. But then it lets it go. It doesn't throw the apoplectic fit it does when you leave your seatbelt off because you're only driving across a car park. :D

The bi turbo won’t do that Alex- it’s designed to heat up the turbos quickly as possible so it bypasses the cats on the exhaust for the first minute or so. It’s recommrnded to wait before putting it into gear and moving off before that’s happened
So for the first minute or so on start up especially in winter it’s louder than the na engine
My Bi-Turbo goes into fast idle with the wastegates open at about 1100rpm when it first fires. Putting it in drive or reverse drops the idle by about 200rpm, which is quieter, and then after 30 secs it drops again to the normal idle of 650-700rpm and you hear the turbos spinning as the wastegates are closed.

Interesting that it's recommended to wait until idle drops before moving off - I agree that it's good to let temps come up fractionally before driving, but oil pressure will build while it's cranking and the wet clutch does engage until you release the brake and accelerate?.

Does the boot not then fully open itself ?

If you hold down the open button in the drivers door to start it opening, then press it again, it stops where it is.

Until you hit a bump and it bounces itself closed.

I was wondering if I could make my millions by designing a contraption which holds the boot open a crack, but securely.

Or a modification to the estate which allows the rear window to wind down, like on some SUVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom