Turbine Powered Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Spotted this at Santa Pod on the weekend, in the "funny car" category!

Quite pleasant, but only reached 260mph in the quarter mile strip... so was easily outperformed by the top fuel dragsters...

[youtube]JOanwgq2PWE[/youtube]

Also, it wasn't as loud as I was hoping... again, the top fuel things (and the nitro racers) were MUCH louder, making the grandstand shake... still, a pretty impressive sight...

M.

When I was at school in the '70s they had drag meetings at Blackbushe Airport - 4 miles away - and we could hear them going up the strip!

Rover had an experimental turbine powered car many years ago, but it never made production.
That would have been fun - just for the noise :)

If you're in it for the noise, go to a drag race... it was my first time, and both the nitro racers and top fuel things took me entirely by surprise.

I've played football on an airport's runway (in Africa), only to wait on the sides while a 747 landed... I thought that was loud...

The top fuel things are in a league of their own, the noise literally made the grandstand shake, felt like an earthquake with a lot of noise (even through ear defenders). Very impressive.

M.

The Car to have seen was Vanishing point, it was rocket powered, from memory it did 340mph and 3.2 secs over the quarter it was run bt a guy called Sammy Miller who unfortunately died in an accident at work

They beat the European record for a top fuel dragster on Sunday... 318mph from memory, in a quarter mile...

Alternate view.

[YOUTUBE]ObeSWc_9j4g[/YOUTUBE]

If you fancy a trip down the strip...

This is how quickly 1000Bhp goes.

[YOUTUBE]iIgohkhMdy8[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom