Turbo Diesel or Common Rail? Which is best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian

Car
None yet
Hello, can anybody help me with some much needed advice?

I am looking to buy an E class estate. I have been warned off the Turbo (TD) and advised to buy a common rail diesel. The reason being that the turbo is realy expensive to fix if anything goes wrong. Do they go wrong often and should I heed this advice?

:confused: Ian

They both have turbochargers so , the argument about the turbo being expencive is not relevant.

The CDI engines are more efficent on fuel and have more power than the engines they replace.

We have a E220CDI est and its great to drive. Id say it was just about as fast as my C240 till you get to about 90MPH and then the 240 is a lot quicker.

Great engines , go for it ...

As a point of interest. our estate averages about 36MPG loaded to the roof all the time.

CDI all the way, more effiecient and better to drive by a fair amount.

Runninng costs will be very sililiar anyway, and the older TD's are still built like brick, and plenty around to demenstrate that...:bannana:

Originally posted by fuzzer
They both have turbochargers so , the argument about the turbo being expencive is not relevant.

The CDI engines are more efficent on fuel and have more power than the engines they replace.

We have a E220CDI est and its great to drive. Id say it was just about as fast as my C240 till you get to about 90MPH and then the 240 is a lot quicker.

As a point of interest. our estate averages about 36MPG loaded to the roof all the time.

Originally posted by fuzzer

Thank you for your reply. My "friend" ( BMW & MERC' Mechanic),who advised me about Mercedes diesels stated that if the Turbo was to fail on a TD it was very expensive to replace, whereas, the CDI was cheaper in comparison as the turbo was smaller in the CDI unit.
As I have been looking for a E220 CDI I have seen quite a few 300 TD's in very good condition a little bit cheaper and have thought am I buying trouble for the sake of a few thousand pounds. I intend to keep the diesel for at least six years and I cover over 20,000 miles a year, therefore, I cannot afford the car to be unreliable.
Thank you all for your help.

I'll do a bit of research and get back to you.

As far as i know they are almost the same turbo systems... ;)

Most turbos can be reconditioned very reasonably these days

Look at mine and Vins for example

Vins T25 was about £270 inc vat and delivery from Turboshop.

Mine was £525 + vat - built from scratch - with new housings and centre bearing - and everything machined to have the biggest possible blades in it, 360 degree thrust bearing etc etc - bargain really !

Mark

Originally posted by Mark300SL

Vins T25 was about £270 inc vat and delivery from Turboshop.

Mark

and pickup from my house! ;)

I would go with the other comments - CDi is excellent and after 14k miles in the first year (not much compared to some!) I've had 39mpg as an average.

HTH

R

Well, from the Research and some jounals, Common rail diesel fuel injection system could give higher efficiency. Is about the fuel mixding inside the chamber, but in fact, I don't know which one could do better...

Form the reaserch, people found that, because of the common rail injection, the pressure of all the injector is equal, so, the ecu could control the fuel rate equally, for all of your cylinder, since the mechanical error is lower, then in theory, it could give u more power and efficiency...

V12 , the CDI engines use a vairiable vane system which sounds terribly expencive but is supposed to give you more economy when you need it and power when you need it.

Its not like mercedes to make parts cheaper on newer models :p

Ok, The CDI engine and an older TD engine will present on average about the same maintenance costs, if something drastic were to happen, the CDI will work out more expensive, if only a little.

But ask yourself this, how many bad reviews have you had of a Merc CDI engine??

Fuzzer, as far as i know, everytime merc bring out a new model, the parts are loads cheaper. They are driving us to sell parts cheaper at the same time. Look at the 220 S-Class, after the 140 s-class the parts are V V V cheap!! ;)

Last edited:
You mean apart from all these duff 320 CDI engines going about that mercedes refuse to fix?:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom