Turbo noise and smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harlowcabbie

Car
Mercedes e220 w210
I have a w210 e220 and recently had the egr valve cleant out whilst it was being done it was noted that the manifold has a lot of soot in it and the flap control arm appears to have come off . Recently however I have noticed when the car hits 2k rpm I can hear a hiss type sound that disappears at about 3k sounds like turbo. The car also kicks out a plume of black smoke on pull away .i have checked the turbo and there is no play in it although a little oil which I believe is normal. Could the manifold flaps not operating be the root of the noise and smoke or should I be worried about turbo.

Check for an air leak in the intake trunking.

Don't want to sound like a complete idiot but you mean the pipe to the air box then onto the turbo if so checked those and they are ok

What about after the turbo tot eh inter-cooler then the intake manifold.

Try wedging the intake flaps in the open position then see if it still does it.

Dup.

As DM said look for an air leak on the pressurised side of of the intake system

The manifold flaps and the 'pivots' that they swivel on are known to become worn and allow turbo boost (and oil) to escape past them........check the side of the engine block, under the inlet manifold, if it is covered in old, black oil then its the pivots worn.

The flap control arm may have come off due to the above, worn flaps and pivots can cause them to stick in one position.

Checked all pipes and can't find any leaks but after a lot of reading I have noticed people mentioning a seal ring on the u shaped pipe from the air box to the turbo. My pipe doesn't have a seal ring it is simply pushed straight onto the turbo and then has a jubilee clip tightened round it. Problem is can't seem to work out whether it's meant to have a seal ring or not .can anyone enlighten me please.

No it's not.

Thought I should post a thank you for all the advice and explain what the problem was. Seems the pipe from the turbo to the inter cooler had come loose at the turbo end found it when I shoved me arm down there and tried to wiggle it and was surprised when I could. Tightened up a couple of bolts on the retaining bracket and problem solved. She runs like a dream again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom