Turbo Technics registry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ortolan

Car
1989 300CE AMG TT
Hi all, I own a 1989 300CE fitted with an AMG engine transplant and full Turbo Technics conversion. I thought it might be a good idea to create a registry to track the 75 Turbo Technics conversions. I know numerous members on this site own a W124 TT Mercedes so I'm hoping you can all help compile this list.

50 Original Hughes conversions
Code:
Year 	Model 		Colour		Location 	Owner 				VIN			Comments
1990 	300CE 		White 		UK 		?							H109 DMX for sale
1992 	300TE-24 	Gunmetal Grey 	Berkshire, UK 	?							K906 WUR for sale
1991	300CE-24	Silver		Kent, UK	?							NBL 333 sold
1990 	300E 		Silver 		Reading, UK	?
1995 	E320C 		Silver 		London, UK 	liiive_o (mbclub.co.uk)
?	300E 		?		?		Roger Jones (mbclub.co.uk)

25 3rd party conversions
Code:
1989 	300CE 3.5 	Blue Black 	Melbourne, AU 	Ortolan (mbclub.co.uk)		WDB1240502B006836	AMG 3.5L M104 Installed by Prestige Car Service Centre January 2008
1988 	300CE 		Signal Red 	Delaware, USA 	RBYCC (benzworld.org))					Installed by Willow Automotive June 2007
?	E320C 		Midnight Blue 	Detroit, USA 	bahnstormer (benzworld.org)				Widebody Install in progress
1987	190E 3.2 	Diamond Blue	Essex, UK 	Mark300SL (mbclub.co.uk)				3.2L M104 Install in progress
1987 	300E 		Blue Grey 	California, USA 6cndmbz (mercedesshop.com)				Self Install June 2008
?	E320C 		Green 		Plymouth, UK 	janner (mbclub.co.uk)					Self Install

Last edited:
Have you contacted TT? they are normally very helpfull with any info they have on conversions.

Hi all, I own a 1989 300CE fitted with an AMG engine transplant and full Turbo Technics conversion. I thought it might be a good idea to create a registry to track the 75 Turbo Technics conversions. I know numerous members on this site own a W124 TT Mercedes so I'm hoping you can all help compile this list.

50 Original Hughes conversions
Code:
1990 	300CE 		White 		UK 		?							H109 DMX for sale
1992 	300CE-24 	Gunmetal Grey 	Berkshire, UK 	?							K906 WUR for sale
1991	300CE-24	Silver		Kent, UK	?							NBL 333 sold
1990 	300E 		Silver 		Reading, UK	?
1995 	E320C 		Silver 		London, UK 	liiive_o (mbclub.co.uk)
?	300E 		?		?		Roger Jones (mbclub.co.uk)
?	E320C 		Green 		Plymouth, UK 	janner (mbclub.co.uk)

25 3rd party conversions
Code:
1989 	300CE 3.5 	Blue Black 	Melbourne, AU 	Ortolan (mbclub.co.uk)		WDB1240502B006836	AMG 3.5L M104
1988 	300CE 		Signal Red 	Delaware, USA 	RBYCC (benzworld.org)
?	E320C 		Midnight Blue 	Detroit, USA 	bahnstormer (benzworld.org)				Widebody
?	190E 3.2 	?		Essex, UK 	Mark300SL (mbclub.co.uk)

Is your car still for sale ? If not what happened to more pics and vids ?
Slacker :)

Turbo Technics only supplied the kits to Hughes so they don't have any data on the customer cars. When I spoke to Hughes at the time I purchased my kit, they did not have much in the way of data either. The first of these conversions happened nearly 20 years ago so I guess it's no surprise. This is the reason I want to start putting together a registry of information.

I moved to Toronto in April this year and my car is back in Melbourne. It's for sale if anyone offers a decent price for it but in the current market that's unlikely to happen so I'll just keep it in storage indefinitely.

Janners was converted in his garage - its not an original TT

If I can find a 3.2 kit at sensible money then my existing kit may well end up on my SL :D

My 190 is Diamond Blue and 1987

Thanks for the additional info. Do you know of any others? I presume most of the 75 will still be in the UK (excluding the dozen or more kits which may not yet have been installed).

Have you contacted TT? they are normally very helpfull

biggest bunch or con men ive ever delt with

they charged me £900 for the worl they did and then did not even bother pressure testing the cylinders and so 1 year later got them tested and diagnosed the fault and fixed it but if they would have done their job properly they would have found that

then

the bloke i sold mine to has found that the bearings in the turos are fooked when they told me at TT that they removed both turbos and fully checked them which is another damn lie

£900 and failed to find either of the problems and did nothing but lie about the work they did

so now the new owner has a bill of around £800

they are not helpful at all as GFP said.

my mechanic managed to find the fault in like an hour of inspecting the car, and he said the turbos have not been touched for years, whereas GFP has a receipt of £900 which supposed to be them "refurbishing" the turbos.

i wish i can fix the bearing kit somewhere else and not with them,but i guess i have no choice.

i wish i can fix the bearing kit somewhere else and not with them,but i guess i have no choice.

Why is that, they are Garret turbo's aren't they.? Just find a decent turbo reconditioner.

i suggested he buy 2 new T3's as they will make the car even more powerful

or do what the mad russian does and what massive ones on it and get it to 800bhp

might blow up but will be fun until it does

Yep

Just get them reconditioned at a decent aftermarket establishment
Mine are about to be transformed into much bigger units but its a lot easier for me as a good friend has a turbo balancer in his garage :)

If the trims are undamaged just get a rebuild kit and DIY the centre housings, then you just need to get them balanced.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-TB02-...14&_trkparms=72:1299|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

So with decent trim wheels you are talking under £200 for the pair even with someone else balancing them - and you will find out how the turbos work at the same time :D

cheers for the info guys.

I thought about what GFP suggested ,get two t3's but then i'd need to change alot of things.

to be honest i dont see the point of more power in this car as traction is rubbish as it is, and im not looking to spend too much £££ for just power.

the trim is undamaged according to my mechanic he says its not knocking either or anything,just needs a new bearing kit so it dont move too much.

know anyone that reconditions turbos in london? would appreciate any more info cheers guys.

"know anyone that reconditions turbos in london?"

Stick "turbo technics london" into Google and click on the Yell result.

You can add my name to the list....just acquired a 1994 320E Saloon which is a genuine Hughes converted car....Bornite in colour, Sportline with Climate, Electric/Memory Seats, Black leather, ASR ( or whatever its called...lol), Mileage 104,000

The registry has been updated with numerous new cars but I still have very little information on the approximately 50 original Hughes conversions. Can anyone help?
Turbo Technics Mercedes Registry

B.J.

You might want to add a M103-12V kit now owned by "RemoteMark" on the USA forums.
Believe he is in the Baltimore MD USA area
I put Mark together with Mike Pickles in Florida who sold him the kit prior to returning to the U.K.

You can also add Jack Murray with the W201 2.6 M103 TT now being installed.

Ed A.

Contact the capri club as i think they have a turbo tech register, see how they get/got their info.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom