Turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilbert121262

Car
w221 350L CDI Blutec
Engine light came on this morning and wouldn't go off even after a few restarts, no limp mode though. Called out mobilo, very helpful tech turned up and diagnosed a cracked vane on the turbo. Told me not to drive it as if it gets worse will suck bits of broken turbo into the engine.. Car taken to Mercs ,but to late on a Fri for them to look at it. Bit worried as it 32 days out of warranty and turbo £1600 plus vat and labour. Not happy that a quality car like this goes pop so young. Mobilo faultless though, replacement S Class delivered one hour after tow truck left with car.

I'm impressed that the Tech. can diagnose a cracked turbo vane from an electronic diagnosis...

It wasn't from diagnosis, the turbo fault came up when he plugged it in. He took off the air intake pipes as there was a funny noise. When the turbo was exposed he showed me the vane that was cracked so saw it with my own eyes!!!!

If the car has full mb service history tell them your not impressed due to age/miles of the car, insist that they send a a good will gesture to mbuk, you should get a contribution.

If the car has full mb service history tell them your not impressed due to age/miles of the car, insist that they send a a good will gesture to mbuk, you should get a contribution.

I agree with this, cars aren't manufactured to last as long as the warranty, their manufactured to last many year’s more. I'd personally get the local Trading Standards involved if there's any doubt.

Car has full MB service history. Hope I get goodwill. Even the mobile guy said he never seen that fault on a S Class turbo in 10 years

When I saw the cracked turbo vane I was shocked, had many mercs over the years and had many problems, mainly electrical, but never a big mechanical failure like this..

I have inspected turbo-components,
They are usually subjected to very-high levels of quality-control in manufacture because of the very-severe service to which they are subjected.
Also the potentially-dire consequences of an in-service failure ... like wrecking your engine !!
:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom