Turbocharged and Supercharged

OP
OP
Lazarus

Lazarus

Car
2010 CLS 350CDI Grand Edition; 1994 Subaru SVX, Black; 2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0Rn
Well the standard output is around 110bhp (which is pretty impressive from a 1.0litre), but most of the ones from Japan come over with approx 160bhp, which is a lot in a little car like a K10 Micra...

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, W451 smart
Lazarus said:
Well the standard output is around 110bhp (which is pretty impressive from a 1.0litre), but most of the ones from Japan come over with approx 160bhp, which is a lot in a little car like a K10 Micra...

Pretty much most 1,000cc motorbikes have been producing well over that figure (110Bhp) for a long time now. In fact most 600's are over that figure aswell!

OP
OP
Lazarus

Lazarus

Car
2010 CLS 350CDI Grand Edition; 1994 Subaru SVX, Black; 2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0Rn
Alfie said:
Pretty much most 1,000cc motorbikes have been producing well over that figure (110Bhp) for a long time now. In fact most 600's are over that figure aswell!

But motorbike engines need to rev much higher than standard car powerplants to reach that sort of performance... My point was that it was quite a feat of technical engineering, it's ugly and probably sounds quite odd too.

Laz.
--

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
Lazarus said:
But motorbike engines need to rev much higher than standard car powerplants to reach that sort of performance... My point was that it was quite a feat of technical engineering, it's ugly and probably sounds quite odd too.

Laz.
--

It's not really that great a feat - BMW have been producing 100bhp+ per litre NA engines for years without the need for high rpm. Anyone can make 100bhp per litre by adding a turbo and or a supercharger.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Alfie said:

Yes but at 12000 rpm, that's totally useless in a car. Remember Power = Torque x RPM

janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Turbo Technics
Most newer boat engines are turbo and supercharged diesels.

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Mini Pocket Rocket and i dont think the engine has been pushed to it's max yet.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
CLS 500 / A 150
Years ago, Koenig did a special called a 'Competition' that was based on a Ferrari Testarossa, it looked a bit like the F40 once theyd finished and was good for 230mph, that was turbo'd and supercharged also ......

see : - http://www.supercars.net/garages/carlitos/63v2.html

it states twin turbo flat 12 but it was definately supercharged as well.....

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
janner said:
Most newer boat engines are turbo and supercharged diesels.

Dieselman and I had a very interesting discussion on the 1950's high revving super charged three cylinder engines that used to power a number of heavy goods vehicles. (Commer TS3's or the mighty Foden two stroke diesel) Plus of course there is the deltic turbo powered diesel engine which powered fast patrol boats, minesweepers and of course trains. These engines make an unmistakable high pitched whine and were developed right at the end of the Second World War?

Deltic engines

Regards,
John

janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Turbo Technics
Howard said:
Years ago, Koenig did a special called a 'Competition' that was based on a Ferrari Testarossa, it looked a bit like the F40 once theyd finished and was good for 230mph, that was turbo'd and supercharged also ......

see : - http://www.supercars.net/garages/carlitos/63v2.html

it states twin turbo flat 12 but it was definately supercharged as well.....
Awesome car but not supercharged

Deltic engines, weird, just weird. :eek:

Volvo diesel marine engines have a supercharger to give power low down then the turbo takes over a cruise speeds. Nice bit of kit.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
CLS 500 / A 150
Hmmmmmmm ..... what am i thinking of then ? :confused:

if it comes to me i'll let you know ... i'm sure i have read somewhere about an older car that had this set up .....

EDIT :- i think i have in the back of mind something that was quad turbo'd and had a supercharger as well to stop the turbo lag while the four spun up to speed ...... i shall rack my brain ... (probably break it :rolleyes: )

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
janner said:
[
Volvo diesel marine engines have a supercharger to give power low down then the turbo takes over a cruise speeds. Nice bit of kit.

:D :) Now who do I know with a gasoline guzzling boat?? ;) :) When we had ours we got diesel at fishing rates of about 50p per gallon!

As you rightly say any of the new turbo diesels will get your boat flying and keep your bank manager happier (apart from the initial costs of buying the engine).

(We also had a jet drive)

Sorry for being cheeky,
John

C43AMG

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) Sold, 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
Have just driven the New Supercharged Range Rover up and down the A3, for something that heavy, it is a flying machine . It has a rear view camera, what a great parking aid also a remote camera that you can point anywhere and see what is at the side of the car, poholes rocks etc. A brilliant peice of kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom