Turbocharger for W124 300TD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwanso

Car
W124 300TD
Can anyone tell me about fitting (or not fitting) a turbocharger to a 1991 300TD diesel estate. I know they were made in Germany , but apparently not for the UK market (300 TD Turbo/300 TDT).
Has anyone done it?
Is it possible? or going down an ugly, expensive road?
What is the part number? I can't find it!!

Thanks
Ed

Evidently some aftermarket exhaust manifolds were made for this specific job but there are very few around. You'd have to fabricate something to suit then add a turbo, IP & associated bits. A European turbo 603 engine would be the best donor

Nick Froome

Hi Nick
I Think i have sourced a turbocharger and manifold 2nd hand. What are the other parts I'd need to change? (IP and associated bits) - guess I'd need a different exhaust down pipe too?
Ed

Here's the baby I'm after...
porsche911
Looks like there's quite a lot I'd need to change. Would the final drive and shafts be able to handle it and is it even possible in RHD?
Maybe I'll just import a LHD!

Don't be put of by the Porsche911 link its just the site that the 300TDT pictures are on!

Following this thread with great interest :thumb: a W124 E300TD would be pretty much the perfect car for my needs. the slowness of my car is the only problem i have with it, although i'm not that bothered about it.

please keep us updated on any progress.

Ah, thanks. That's a useful thread. Will call some of the contacts there. Might just end up buying a LHD from Germany in the end or just live with my car, wait for the new E class estate to come out, do another 200,000 on mine, until there are some 2nd hand one's on the market...
Ed

Just spoke to David Breaks. (Tele 01539 740184), who's contact I got off the other thread and it seems its not worth it. Once all parts have been found, it would mean at least 2 whole day's work - changing exaust, manifold, taking the sump off and bla bla. Not worth it for me. Would rather source a 300tdt or E300T from Europe. I drove a LHD Bettle for 10 years here and it's no problem. Plus it would mean excuses to take trips to Europe...

Totally agree, not worth the time, money and hassle!!

Unless you are seriously sentimental and really REALLY love the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom