Turbos all the way down...

The decision to change to turbo engines by AMG is...

• Most likely to be a good thing

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Most likely to be a bad thing

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Irrelevant - I don't really care

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Khamen

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
So I read yesterday that AMG have stated that the SLS, SLK55 and C63 wil be the last ever normally aspirated cars to come out of Affalterbach.

The venerable 6.2L V8 is being phased out and from now on the 5.5L V8 twin turbo will be the weapon of choice.

What do you think? Good thing/bad thing/makes no difference?

Poll above

K

Last edited:
The 5.5 twin turbo is a fantastic engine, lots of pull and amazingly quick.

Turbos sure livened up Formula 1 (and rallying) in the 80s. 1000 hp / litre and they could still be driven through and off the corner - just!

Having driven both, the 5.5 turbo engine is more fuel efficient, faster, feels faster, more torque, more hp, more easily tunable (for those interested), very smooth but....and it a big but.....the naturally aspirated engine sounds noticeably better!

More fast whirling thingys to go wrong =bad

Easily "tweaked" to the point of destruction= too tempting

Better emissions/fuel consumption = good

Good or bad---- inevitable.

Last edited:
Problem with turbos is it makes the car feel all too easy.

With a NA you get more of a sense of reward, you have to work at it more.

.....the naturally aspirated engine sounds noticeably better!

''Power from noise'' was how Saab's engine guru (when Saab were still an independent company) described turbocharging. You can just have the noise I suppose, if that's what's appreciated more.

More powerful, easier large tuning gains and better fuel economy, what's not to like?, with the way things are going in terms of emissions etc this was inevitable.

for a new car buyer who owns the car within the warranty period - its a great thing.
for the used car buyer in 5 years time - no these will be plagued with issues.

Complexity! Not much to go wrong on a large capacity, NA V8.

My engine in my car. Single (chain driven) overhead cam, 2 valve per cylinder, no variable valve timing or variable lift, turbocharged: 87 hp / litre.

Name me a simpler engine with that specific output.
And if the turbo fails, it's an easy bolt on replacement. Have you seen the complexity of variable valve timing / variable lift valve gear?

True, they don't come simpler than a large capacity NA V8 (esp pushrod motors) but their lack of efficiency means they've had their day.

Complexity! Not much to go wrong on a large capacity, NA V8.

I had things fail on my E55 which were nothing to do with the supercharger, I think with any modern car there are things that are likely to be trouble before a turbocharger would be, a turbo, should in theory last the life of the car or a good deal of it anyway, providing the car is cared for properly and driven properly, not thrashed from cold and run for a minute or 2 when stopping at idle.

Last edited:
What Oli said ^

I remember BMW, in the 80s, responding in an advert to the number of cars that were being fitted with turbos. Their line was something like "If we thought it need something, we'd build it in, not bolt it on."

What Oli said ^

I remember BMW, in the 80s, responding in an advert to the number of cars that were being fitted with turbos. Their line was something like "If we thought it need something, we'd build it in, not bolt it on."

Lol like the quote - wonder what the guy who made it would make of everything BMW now going turbo and "bolting it on" as well - even the new M cars!

K

So I read yesterday that AMG have stated that the SLS, SLK55 and C63 wil be the last ever normally aspirated cars to come out of Affalterbach.

The venerable 6.2L V8 is being phased out and from now on the 5.5L V8 twin turbo will be the weapon of choice.

I didn't think the C-Class was getting the 5.5 TT?:dk:

Lol like the quote - wonder what the guy who made it would make of everything BMW now going turbo and "bolting it on" as well - even the new M cars!

K

Short memories all right....

1734605459_241e917f3e.jpg

Short memories all right....

1734605459_241e917f3e.jpg

Iirc, it was about the same time as Toyota had a slogan for their new Supra, which was "The trigger is on the right foot." I think this was withdrawn after complaints.

I didn't think the C-Class was getting the 5.5 TT?:dk:

Not the current C63, but it's replacement will be turbo'd

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom