Turning off AC during the winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenQ

Car
2004 W220 S320 CDI
What is the wisdom of turning off Air Conditioning during an English winter?

Does fuel consumption decrease with the AC off? What is the point of AC during the winter?

Is it best to let the AC components 'rest' for a while or is it better to leave the system in auto throughout the year?

Using A/C will use additional fuel as driving the compressor is an additional load for the engine but A/C systems are not just there to cool the air, they also de-humidify so if it is damp and you turn the A/C off you are likely to get the glass misting up.

Also the A/C system contains a lubricating oil that needs to circulate to ensure the system is kept in good condition and to preserve the flexibility of the various seals.

I try and turn in on at least once every few weeks in the winter. Actually that is the same in the summer also, unless the weather demands it.

Not sure on MB but on all other cars I have owned, the A/C automatically disengages when the outside temperature drops below 3 degrees.

A/C however also removes moisture from the air so on a damp morning will really make a difference to your windows misting up (or not)

So for that reason I tend to leave it on

I never switch the a/c off. When I first had the car I did experiment with and without and found no difference in mpg. Set the system on auto and leave it to do it's thing. The interior will be a more comfortable, drier place and the system will benefit from keeping all the seals well lubricated.

I never switch the a/c off. When I first had the car I did experiment with and without and found no difference in mpg. Set the system on auto and leave it to do it's thing. The interior will be a more comfortable, drier place and the system will benefit from keeping all the seals well lubricated.

Same as that.....Set the a/c or climate control to 19C auto and forget it.

Mic

It should be left on permanently to ensure system is lubricated and as mentioned to dehumidify the car. Just set the temp to right value.

If you are worried about fuel consumption I will swap my hiking boots for your car no problem.

Thanks for the opionions guys, i'ii leave it on auto, 20c :thumb:

Too warm.....you will get drowsy !!!***???

Mic

Agreed! 19c, auto all year. Nice! :)

What is the wisdom of turning off Air Conditioning during an English winter?

Don't know about English winters.

But I just leave mine set to auto at 21 all year round and that seems to work in Scottish and UK winters. So presumably would work the same in English winters.

Occasionally use the windscreen demister button and even less frequently the recirculation button if there's anything outside producing fumes or smoke.

uys, I really dont think you understand how climate control works. The aim is not to leave it at a set temperature all year round - that defeats the whole point.

This is how to use it correctly.
Hot day.
Get in the car. Press DOWN button thirty times until 'Lo' has been displayed for at least twenty presses.
Complain that the aircon is crap.
Wait five to ten minutes.
Complain that the car is too cold.
Open window to let heat in.
Press UP button to at least twenty five degrees.
wait five minutes.
Complain that the car is too hot
Complain that the aircon isn't working properly
Leave window open.
Press DOWN button until it says 'Lo'
Mess around with fan speeds.
Repeat above for the entire journey, with window in various states of open/closed.

Cold Day.
Get in the car. Press UP button thirty times until 'Hi' has been displayed for at least twenty presses.
Complain that the heating doesn't work properly.
Complain that the car is too hot.
Open window to let cool air in in.
Press DOWN button to at most fifteen degrees.
wait five minutes.
Complain that the car is too cold
Complain that the heating isn't working properly
Close window.
Press UP button until it says 'Hi'
Mess around with fan speeds
Repeat above for the entire journey, with window in various states of open/closed.

At least that's how Mrs Ted works it.

My partner turned up in her new Audi A4 last winter, minus 5 deg C outside and the windows open.

When asked why the reply was "I do not know how to turn the heating down" This despite the car having automatic dual zone climate control and plus and minus signs on the temperature settting each side each helpfully coloured red or blue respectively :)

Like the taxi drivers round my way, full heat with the fan switched off. They wonder why the car stinks, is hot and stuffy and the windows mist up in 20 seconds!

I see it as having two choices.
1. Leave on auto at desired temp. Enjoy comfort for perhaps a wee extra cost in fuel
2. Save small extra fuel cost by turning off. Enjoy being uncomfortable and maybe get presented with major bill to replace seals etc etc.

No brainer. All our cars run A/C 365/24/7. Except for leap years :D

Mine is set on Auto 22c like it says in the manual... I never turn it off...

Ditto. :)

uys, I really dont think you understand how climate control works. The aim is not to leave it at a set temperature all year round - that defeats the whole point.

This is how to use it correctly.
Hot day.
Get in the car. Press DOWN button thirty times until 'Lo' has been displayed for at least twenty presses.
Complain that the aircon is crap.
Complain that the car is too cold.
Open window to let heat in.
Press UP button to at least twenty five degrees.
wait five minutes.
Complain that the car is too hot
Complain that the aircon isn't working properly
Leave window open.
Press DOWN button until it says 'Lo'
Mess around with fan speeds.

Cold Day.
Get in the car. Press UP button thirty times until 'Hi' has been displayed for at least twenty presses.
Complain that the heating doesn't work properly.
Complain that the car is too hot.
Open window to let cool air in in.
Press DOWN button to at most fifteen degrees.
wait five minutes.
Complain that the car is too cold
Complain that the heating isn't working properly
Close window.
Press UP button until it says 'Hi'
Mess around with fan speeds

At least that's how Mrs Ted works it.

Excellent. :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom