turning off all driving aids in a W200 S500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bingo999

Car
corsa 1.7cdti and saab 9-3
turning off all driving aids in a W220 S500

How do i turn off all the driving aids on the S500 W220 model?.. or can i only turn the esp off :(

Last edited:
If it's for diagnostics or dynamometer use then I'd consider popping the fuses out for the various aids. For regular driving I'm not sure!

its for track use dont mind the abs kicking in but any others i dont want messing me about

You're going to track an S500 ?

I hope you have deep pockets .... ;)

A member has been here before. It's close (i.e S320CDI rather than S500)...

hygt2-albums-mallory-park-picture634-10.jpg

If the brake switch fails then the brakes still function but driver aids are disengaged (the aids rely on the brake switch) so a specially modified brake switch (starting with a ~£10 stock item) could be used to defeat all the driver aids at the flick of a switch (recommend this is fitted somewhere like the engine bay!). Faults will continue to be displayed on the instrument cluster until the engine/ignition is turned all the way off and back on again.

Alternatively there may be a dyno-mode for your car which should also defeat the driver aids and would be activated from the instrument cluster.

If the brake switch fails then the brakes still function but driver aids are disengaged (the aids rely on the brake switch) so a specially modified brake switch (starting with a ~£10 stock item) could be used to defeat all the driver aids at the flick of a switch

That wouldn't work as the traction and ESP are active all the time.

wow the tyres dont half smoke when the ESP is off!

wow the tyres dont half smoke when the ESP is off!

It's a wolf in sheep's clothing at times.

However, the complex electronics allow it to be a fantastic car to drive in a relaxed state. Precisely what it was designed to be. An uber-saloon with performance to match when needed.

Imagine just how much faster it would be if you put an AMG badge on the bootlid :D

That wouldn't work as the traction and ESP are active all the time.
Are you sure? I thought the brake switch fault caused BAS, ESP/ASR and ABS to turn off?

Interrupting a rear wheel speed sensor would probably take care of those items too, as they definitely knock out the driver aids when broken.

It's a wolf in sheep's clothing at times.

However, the complex electronics allow it to be a fantastic car to drive in a relaxed state. Precisely what it was designed to be. An uber-saloon with performance to match when needed.

Imagine just how much faster it would be if you put an AMG badge on the bootlid :D
lol i realised it used to have one! i have since have removed the s500 badge too
You can drift an S500 :D

im gonna try :) its an animal! but im falling in love with a machine.. again!

A speed sensor would do it. The brake light switch is a flip flop switch and triggers the alarm when it fails to make the contacts cleanly.

ESP off, manual mode ON and a deft Swedish flick with full throttle gets the back end well out.

Then 17 ft seems a tad large for drifting ............

How do i turn off all the driving aids on the S500 W220 model?.. or can i only turn the esp off :(

Try the following instructions. Some people report success with it and love it. In my case not only all driving aids are switched off, but also the engine; i.e., it goes into some kind of emergency running mode without real power. I switched back to normal fast.

Make sure your MFD is displaying the MILES screen.
Turn Key to OFF
Turn Key to ON (position 1)
Press the R button (right side of cluster) three times while the SRS light is on.

If you pressed the reset button 3 times while the SRS light is on and you were on the MILES screen, your display will display your voltage.

You can scroll through the various screens using the page up / page down controls on the left side of the steering wheel.

On the last page is the ESP DYNAMOMETER TEST screen:

Using the volume +/- controls on the right side of the steering wheel select ON - in my car it is called W. KL15 = ON

Start the car and several malfunctions will display since this will disable ESP, ABS, BAS, BPV and several other electronic controls in the car.

As I said, my car was limping after that. Any luck with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom