Turning off the limp/safety mode on my E220D?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercutioedes

Car
E220D Avantgarde
I did lots of changing of oils, filters and other bits and pieces today and whilst doing so managed to get the car to turn its limp mode on. It'll only do 2200rpm and won't shift down when accelerating.

It happened when I had all the oil out of the car. I had to put the ignition on to get it into neutral and when I did so the computer obviously recognised the lack of any oil and set itself to safety mode.

Any way of turning it off without plugging it into a diagnostic computer?

Ta muchly.

I've read in a couple of forums that I need to plug it into a star diagnostics machine and get the suto box to reset itself. Does this sound true for most people? I've disconnected the battery for a few mins as well as locking then unlocking the car a fwe times just in case that worked.

Could be pricey hey?

How much are these star diagnostic machines I wonder......

Wouldnt filling the oil back up before turning on ignition again help.
Just a thought.

Just drive the car. After a couple of cold to hot cycles it will probably reset unless there is another permenant fault.

I can't see the ECU bothering about low oil when not running, it's probably a vacuum pipe disconnected.

Just a thought.

With a username like yours there's very little left for me to say really is there?

Just a thought.

That hindsight, what a wonderful thing it is....

Really helpful answer to encourage a new member.

Thanks for that.....

:wallbash:

Cheers Jonnyboy. What the cleverdick (intentional spelling mistake there btw) didn't realise was the situation regarding why I had to put the ignition on. I've only asked a few questions but the responses have been - for the most part - helpful. The forum search option throws up a great deal of info so with a bit of time it answers most questions.

I'm going to get my car 'plugged in' today. Fingers crossed my wallet won't take a hammering. Ok, too much of a hammering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom