**** Turpin is alive and well in the MB parts department

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
Quote arrived today for some parts, for the impending refurbishment work on the 129. Some delicious highlights include:

OS window and the wing hangers for the Sacco panels are NLA.
Wings are now circa £600 per side, even with club discount

But the piece de resistance is the front brake shields. Available again after a brief stint on the NLA list, how much are they asking for these 13" pieces of circular pressed steel? (By comparison, the rears are about £40 a side.)

£480. Each. :eek:

That’s outrageous. It’s hardly a complicated item.

Buy a sheet of alloy, tin snips, hammer & dolly. :)

Can’t be that hard to do!

Can rears be adapted, or other model item?

Ive just had to purchase a new AMG 6-Pot front Caliper. Price after AMG Tax? £645+VAT :(

The earlier ones are smaller (300mm disc) and might need clearance work to fit around the ball joint. They're at least vaguely realistic (£120ish ea) but still comparatively expensive.

Definitely worth looking at what is available from 210 or similar that might work. I'll also investigate having them scanned and 3D printed, or even made by hand as you suggest - it would be cheaper!

Ive just had to purchase a new AMG 6-Pot front Caliper. Price after AMG Tax? £645+VAT :(

That's not totally unreasonable for a 6pot - I'd expect a similar pricetag from Brembo or AP

Last edited:
£480 ? At that price you would have thought you would be able to buy copies. OR...if there is anything left of the originals take them to India on a holiday with you get a bunch of them made on the side of the road by a roadside blacksmith - I have watched these guys first hand and seen what they can do with the most rudimentary tools - sell the surplus on line and Bobbit is your Uncle , na he ! :p

I'm looking into getting copies made, as mine are still viable. Possibilities include functional versions made from composite, or possibly scanned and 3D printed.

It also just increases the logic behind the caliper conversion I'm plotting, as then I can adapt a copy pair to suit in good faith.

Quote arrived today for some parts, for the impending refurbishment work on the 129. Some delicious highlights include:

OS window and the wing hangers for the Sacco panels are NLA.
Wings are now circa £600 per side, even with club discount

But the piece de resistance is the front brake shields. Available again after a brief stint on the NLA list, how much are they asking for these 13" pieces of circular pressed steel? (By comparison, the rears are about £40 a side.)

£480. Each. :eek:

Chassis or part nos please.

I'm looking into getting copies made, as mine are still viable. Possibilities include functional versions made from composite, or possibly scanned and 3D printed.

It also just increases the logic behind the caliper conversion I'm plotting, as then I can adapt a copy pair to suit in good faith.

A guy I know of made his out of Lidl picnic plates.
Shouldn't be too difficult to make. I'd go for alloy and be prepared to anneal if getting too brittle due to cold working.

Piston was completely seized inside it

Grease gun shifts them apparently.

I'll trump the prices quoted so far. The itty bitty computer module for controlling ABS/ESP - £1700. The computer I'm typing this on - £300.

I wonder if other brake backing plates might be made to fit? Obvious things would be disc diameter, caliper mounting, hub clearance and maybe not so obvious track control arm BALL JOINT clearance. Series of pictures about this here including a modified back plate to address this issue.They refer to the w124 model - but since they share many parts with the W129 might give you a few ideas for mods ?
Index of /images/W124_brakes/LCA_early_vs_late

It certainly has potential. It's an easy job to modify, and while not giving full coverage to the disc it's better than nothing.

Those guys at “Project Binky” would have made them no problem

That's not totally unreasonable for a 6pot - I'd expect a similar pricetag from Brembo or AP

Yep I thought that too.

Doodle i used to make these back plates .Not for Mercedes but Rover . We made these out of a 2 ton steel coils 1000 a day and i dont see why these cost so much to buy. They are only made the same way . I was looking on ebay for exhaust studs one seller was selling these for £8 each for just one stud. And another in Germany asking £18 each for one stud . I emailed him to say that he would have no luck at the price he was asking .

If Druk was still around he would have made 2 for you. God bless him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom