**** Turpin is alive and well in the MB parts department

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doodle i used to make these back plates .Not for Mercedes but Rover . We made these out of a 2 ton steel coils 1000 a day and i dont see why these cost so much to buy.

Gouging customers, pure and simple. As you say, it's only a bit of stamped tinware.

With good reason, 129 and 124 front ends are very similar.

Those will be even smaller than the early 129 part as they're for 284mm discs, but they would be useful to cannibalise for the centres to build off - good find, sir.

In this situation, I'd be using the old plate as a mould (after some "Blue Peter-style" prep.) to be filled with polyester resin plus reinforcement to create a single use former on which to re-shape the ersatz item, before trimming it.

The New Year p*sstaking from Stuttgart continues apace. R129 front wings are now €800ea, that's a hike of 20% on last month, and nearly 300% over the last couple of years

The balance now firmly tips towards having originals properly repaired, especially as the new pressings are apparently not as good.

the piece de resistance is the front brake shields. Available again after a brief stint on the NLA list, how much are they asking for these 13" pieces of circular pressed steel? (By comparison, the rears are about £40 a side.)

£480. Each. :eek:

If I ever succeed in finding the 'right' W211 I'm looking for, I might pre-emptively buy some brake shields before they suffer the same fate. Crazy prices!
I'd definitely look at getting some made somewhere.

Bargain! Cheaper than my £1,600 plastic fuel tank lol

The New Year p*sstaking from Stuttgart continues apace. R129 front wings are now €800ea, that's a hike of 20% on last month, and nearly 300% over the last couple of years

The balance now firmly tips towards having originals properly repaired, especially as the new pressings are apparently not as good.

Both wings on my wife's SLK have rust coming up just at the front "triangle" but can't seem to find anybody nowadays who repairs in the old sense i.e. cutting rust out and replacing with new steel. All I can find is people who want to replace the full wing which are £250 - £300 each!

Just to add to this, I've recently bought an EZL (ignition controller for 300-24 M104 engine). Mercedes Ashford said is was "frozen" - whatever that means - and thus unavailable. Mercedes Angouleme (France) finally came back with a price of €2300 with a potential "good will" gesture reducing it to €2080.

Teile Profis in Germany listed it last year at around €2100 but this year at €1200-ish.

Finally, my chum in Bochum got it at MB nearby for €1150 and it's sitting waiting to be installed.

The interesting thing is that the one I received was, apparently, manufactured in 2003 so it's hardly new.

As implied above, we're being shafted by MB for our loyalty. It's a disgrace.

Best to all.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom