Tv channels will be lost going digital ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njkmr

Hi folks ,

lots of info on tv at the moment regarding digital switchover in my area .
Does this mean I will lose the tv pics in my car .Its not a freeview system ,so I presume it will not work when anologue is switched off tomorrow .:dk::dk::dk:

Any suggestions ??
Regards
Rob

I'll wait for the experts advice but I think we ll be ok as the car aerials will pick up the digital signal. I was looking for this a while back and no serious discussions which if it was a problem most people would be raving about it on forums.

There is a kit for freeview digital in the car for about £600 ouch. I hope we won't lose anything as I like watching breakfast in the morning when warming the car up.

I'll wait for the experts advice but I think we ll be ok as the car aerials will pick up the digital signal.

You need a digital ('freeview') tuner to do anything with that signal though.

Yes the channels will go - I think theres a digital tuner that plugs into the analogue tuner for some models.
Others have the combined tuner already.

So im thinking now it will be lost .I dont have freeview as Ive only got BBC1-2,ITV ,CH 4 and CH 5 I think on the channels .
Its a cl 600 54 plate .

Is it £600 large ,to get it sorted then ??

So im thinking now it will be lost .I dont have freeview as Ive only got BBC1-2,ITV ,CH 4 and CH 5 I think on the channels .
Its a cl 600 54 plate .

Is it £600 large ,to get it sorted then ??
I'm sure I've seen a post maybe not here but on the american sites where they have got a Digital Freeview tuner for around £150 and managed to run that - don't quote me on the price or the fact there may be additional hardware required but I'm sure it was just plugged into the back of the existing tuner. I'm sure our resident experts on this will be around soon to advise you of the best route to go. (Alfie & Richard).

Now I'm thinking about it it MIGHT have been a DVD player that was for £150. I'm gonna see if I can fine the post

Big problem then! I am surprised no one discussed it here before. There didn't seem to be many solutions either around. Can the comand guys over any advice?

From what I have read on here (don't have TV in my car) you can run a normal household freeview box making use of the existing aerials and just run that into the aux in on the old tuner.

Challenges are finding a small freeview box that can be hidden, having to use the remote for the box instead of Comand buttons and powering the thing.

This is happening tomorrow? Really - I didnt know this? :eek: :confused:

I would have thought a 12 volt freeview box is available for very small money that could be used in car.

I have a bush idapter on an analogue TV that was about £40, is the size of a deck of cards (looks like a dongle) and has a remote eye on a length of cable which wouldn't look out of place on the headlining somewhere (looks a bit like the phone mics). The software appears identical to a lot of TV-integrated freeview boxes so support should be good.

I'm not sure that home units are any good for car-use though as they're not designed for travel and will require re-tuning every time you move to a new signal area where car units probably (hopefully) account for this and do it seamlessly.

Freeview retune today

For people already receiving Freeview at home via terrestrial broadcast remember that a retune may be necessary TODAY 30 September 2009 due to freeing up space for future terrestrial HD services and Channel 5.
People getting their signal via Analogue,cable and satellite are unaffected.:thumb: Some clever set top boxes will do this automatically others may not.:(

http://www.freeview.co.uk/_retuneinfo/

Well, in my area the analogue signal will stop in December 09. There are different dates for various aerial locations. After that we ll see.

I don't know how to reply to a classified sale but if assaman is still looking at this thread I am interested in your Tom tom

I fitted a veba digi box to my command unit i had to buy a special connector as well and new aireals but it works well.

login user ,can you give us more info on cost etc and where you had it done .

Many Thanks .

login user ,can you give us more info on cost etc and where you had it done .

Many Thanks .

The veba tuner was about £40 posted with an extra aerial as it has 2 tuners for better reception, the media harness(needed as i didn't have tv fitted) was about £120. I fitted it all myself and hid it away in the dash with just the remote sensor under the glove box.

Hi if you go on mercedes benz owners club forums go to search and put in digital tv there is an in depth post and it works plus it is very easy

Regards Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom