TV License / Anyone Cancelled ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've completely given up on all TV news. I could never stand Sky news, was highly suspicious of ITV but used to find the BBC coverage to be pretty good. Since Brexit, though, it has become awful. All bite-size doom stories. Same with Covid. Can't stand the sensationalism.

I've always liked Radio 4 news, though, and still hoover it up every day. They actually try to explain things and go a lot deeper than the TV folks. And I do skim through the BBC news & sport websites most days.

Other than that I don't seem to watch anything on BBC or any other terrestrial channel and I don't think the kids to either - it's all streaming now. Other than the odd Now TV pass if I have to (to watch my football team); otherwise I just stream it through the EFL coverage. Gave up Sky years ago.

Me & the Mrs tend to find a box set and make our way through it. We recently got to the end of Ozark, then did The Queen't Gambit. Now onto Brigerton. All Netflix, I think.

Yet the word Pikey gets used on this site quite often. :dk:
Not by me it doesn’t. But you can exercise your right to report posts (including your own) if you think they are inappropriate for the forum.

The news thing is rather different now, certainly for me.

Used to settle down to watch at 6pm, 9pm or 10pm.
Problem now is by this time I've picked up all the running news of the day so no need to watch it again.

Similar in the morning, used to switch the TV on, get a cup of tea, watch the same running news and weather reports and have another cup of tea.......

Good thing for anyone wanting BBC news is they put stuff on Youtube.

No I haven’t watched a Netflix film. Ever!!

We looked up Blazing Saddles a while ago but for some reason it’s not there.
Good old Netflix, it rarely has the film we decide we'd like to watch. Getting some obscure American series that you'd never want to watch is easy though!

Good old Netflix, it rarely has the film we decide we'd like to watch. Getting some obscure American series that you'd never want to watch is easy though!
My wife pays for it because our daughter said we needed it. Until very recently my wife thought Netflix was the name of an actual programme!!

The Beeb ain’t all bad though. Pop master is awesome 😁. Also the likes of:
Killing Eve,
The Night Manager,
Normal People,
Gone Fishing,
Line of Duty.

to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife pays for it because our daughter said we needed it. Until very recently my wife thought Netflix was the name of an actual programme!!
We have Netflix and although we’ve not found it particularly great for older films we’ve enjoyed such things as ‘Stranger Things’ and F1’s awesome ‘Drive to Survive’ series.

Also great for older box sets such as Friends and (until recently) The Royal Family and Gavin & Stacy.

Watched Falling Down a bit back when it came on Netflix, great movie.
Netflix, Amazon, Now TV seem to rotate quite a few things.
Many things we used to get on these platforms too have now moved over to Disney+ when it launched.

I really like Netflix, great thing is you pick something to watch if you like it you are hooked and if not move on to the next thing.
Watched Fargo (series) last week which I enjoyed.

Also enjoyed the Karate Kid follow up series, Cobra Kai, a lot of adult oriented parts in it.

BBC News: "The UK is struggling to deliver its target of two million vaccinations a week during January"

As opposed to: "By December 31st 2020, the UK has vaccinated one million high risk (80+) citizens. More than the entire EU 27.

"Twenty-two miles across the Channel, France has vaccinated just 352 medical workers, with protests across the nation at the slow roll out.

" Germany has vaccinated 130,000 German citizens - an eighth of the UK number"

(Source: Le Parisien)

Unfortunately the beeb seem to be more left wing than they used to be.
They often report numbers of 'covid deaths'.
There are no covid deaths, only deaths of those who have tested positive in the last 28 days.
the actual cause of death is unknown in most cases.

Example
A man tests positive for covid 19
He isolates for 14 days
On day 20, he goes out to buy a bottle of milk and is run over by a bus.
This is reported as a covid death.

I fear the BBC is not what it was.

Can I ask why?
Because it WAS as wrong then as it is now. Amazed you even had to ask.

Same members time after time. I’m out of this thread. Enjoy. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the beeb seem to be more left wing than they used to be.
They often report numbers of 'covid deaths'.
There are no covid deaths, only deaths of those who have tested positive in the last 28 days.
the actual cause of death is unknown in most cases.

Example
A man tests positive for covid 19
He isolates for 14 days
On day 20, he goes out to buy a bottle of milk and is run over by a bus.
This is reported as a covid death.

I fear the BBC is not what it was.
I’m pretty sure they now state ‘died within X days since testing positive for covid-19’...

Because it WAS as wrong then as it is now. Amazed you even had to ask.

Same members time after time. I’m out of this thread. Enjoy. 👍

Although I do have reservations about plastering over history, in this situation I think the cheeses actually did quite well

Gravestone for Dambusters Dog Replaced Due to Racist Name

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom