TV License / Anyone Cancelled ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

£140 quid for a TV licence Jesus Christ pay the fricking thing.

That [£157.50] would be like anything and to just pay for things without using or benefiting is a bit silly.
Kids are always telling me to get Spotify or similar but I always explain I have all the music I need. ;)

My own saving is not just the license cost, it's the cost to also cancel Sky, £800 I'm better spending elsewhere.

Whilst I'm disappointed that I no longer get my Free Licence, I feel that £3 a week for all the stuff I can get on Freeview is a good deal. As regards the BBC I would guess it's probably the channel I watch most. As regards box set, Netflix etc, how do you folk find the time to watch all this stuff.

Whilst I'm disappointed that I no longer get my Free Licence, I feel that £3 a week for all the stuff I can get on Freeview is a good deal. As regards the BBC I would guess it's probably the channel I watch most. As regards box set, Netflix etc, how do you folk find the time to watch all this stuff.

When watching the boxsets without adverts it is amazing how long the adverts are on broadcast tv, probably 15 minutes out of an hour perhaps.
Quite easy to watch a few episodes of some box sets in the evening.

In the case of me & my OH it's becuase we don't really watch anything else - although we made an exception yesterday to watch Bojo's announcement.

Generally, though, we've eaten & cleaned up by 9.00, the log burner's lit and one episode of a Netflix box set fills the next hour. On a weekend we might watch two episodes, but generally it's the one hour per day we watch TV.

So it's not a lot, really.

Something that has 3 seasons of 10 episodes will last us a month or more.

As regards box set, Netflix etc, how do you folk find the time to watch all this stuff.
I was thinking the same.
Once I get back from work, finish in the gym or pool, shower, have dinner, have a chat with family and get prepped for the following day I’ve got less than an hour to sit down before it’s bed. The weekends are much the same.

I’ve never watched a box-set.

Good program on Netflix, Rust valley restorer's. It's fantastic if you like muscle cars. 👍
I love that show - chew threw it when it first came out then waited AGES for the next series.

In terms of other car stuff (all on YouTube) I sometimes watch Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe of Evo fame), Ian Tyrrel's workshop (some amazing restos of old exotic metal) and Johnny Smith's Late Brake show.

Chris Harris has also got some decent stuff on YouTube (a million times better that TG) and he's also done a series of great Podcasts.

Local charity shops are a very good source of actual box sets. Once you have watched them donate them back to the charity.

My Youtube car channel picks are Vice Grip Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/jaymz03ss, Mustie1 https://www.youtube.com/c/mustie1/videos and Coldwarmotors https://www.youtube.com/user/coldwarmotors/videos.

All better imho than anything broadcast TV could ever muster.

Thanks I'll have a look at them.

Some of the YouTube content these days is great.

The Beeb ain’t all bad though. Pop master is awesome 😁. Also the likes of:
Killing Eve,
The Night Manager,
Normal People,
Gone Fishing,
Line of Duty.

to name a few.
I’m happy to pay the licence fee for Killing Eve alone. Gone Fishing is an excellent bonus, along with Would I Lie To You and Pointless.

The Irish community got treated savagely in this country years ago. They have built a fair old chunk of it. I don't see them going around crying about the odd so called offensive " word" Yes I do have Irish heritage in me

My mother came over from southern Ireland just after the war and married and Englishman, it's what the Irish do the world over. I'm sure she had a tough time initially but I never saw it as a child nor did I ever see any resentment against the English when I was in Ireland. Irish people are wonderful. I think the EU ruined the place as an idyllic rural society. I saw it right at the beginning when my uncle started to spend as much time in town filling in paperwork as he did working back on the farm.

My mother came over from southern Ireland just after the war and married and Englishman, it's what the Irish do the world over. I'm sure she had a tough time initially but I never saw it as a child nor did I ever see any resentment against the English when I was in Ireland. Irish people are wonderful. I think the EU ruined the place as an idyllic rural society. I saw it right at the beginning when my uncle started to spend as much time in town filling in paperwork as he did working back on the farm.
Nearly all my mates are sons of Irish immigrants and I love their parents stories of when they came over here and began their new lives in Cricklewood.
The rest of my group are made up of 3 Jamaicans, 1 guy whose folks are from Grenada and a Jewish guy and again, the stories of the old days are wonderful to hear.

Although we were all born in England I’m the only one with a British heritage. It’s something that I’m reminded of regularly.

Last edited:
My English son is married to an Irish girl and they live on a farm in Wales. I’m not aware of any resentment in any direction. But I must try to find out what the ‘word’ is that was talked about earlier as being offensive to the Irish. My DIL and I get on extremely well and I don’t want to risk damaging that relationship. Mind you, I have no that as an Irish farmer she wouldn’t just stew over something I said wrong, she’d tell me in no uncertain terms. Then we’d have a laugh about it over a drink or three.

Nearly all my mates are sons of Irish immigrants and I love their parents stories of when they came over here and began their new lives in Cricklewood.
The rest of my group are made up of 3 Jamaicans, 1 guy whose folks are from Grenada and a Jewish guy and again, the stories of the old days are wonderful to here.

Although we were all born in England I’m the only one with a British heritage. It’s something that I’m reminded of regularly.
I love our cosmopolitan society. Our closest friends comprise, in no particular order: Mongolian, French, Iranian, Chinese, Lithuanian, Ugandan, South African, Thai, Indian, Pakistani, Welsh and English. A wide age range too, from 30 to 75. The majority of my family are Australian or Kiwis. As they (whoever they are) say, “Variety is the spice of life.”

I’m pretty sure they now state ‘died within X days since testing positive for covid-19’...

Yes, indeed they do, on primary slides and in the headline statements, but, listen to presenters and reporter who, time after time refer to, covid deaths. Rita Chakrabahti is a primary example.

The Beeb ain’t all bad though. Pop master is awesome 😁. Also the likes of:
Killing Eve,
The Night Manager,
Normal People,
Gone Fishing,
Line of Duty.

to name a few.
You are right, some great stuff comes out of the BBC , it's mainly the BBC news is what lets the side down, and it's choice of 'comedians' that it allows on to vent their particular spleen. Supposed to be impartial

Yes, indeed they do, on primary slides and in the headline statements, but, listen to presenters and reporter who, time after time refer to, covid deaths. Rita Chakrabahti is a primary example.
The sad thing is even with such reporting there’s people who don’t take the problem seriously enough and hence we are forced back into a national lockdown... 🤦‍♂️

Because it WAS as wrong then as it is now. Amazed you even had to ask.

Same members time after time. I’m out of this thread. Enjoy. 👍

Wrong now, yes I totally agree
Wrong then?
I'm no judge of what was acceptable behavior in the thousands of years before my birth, I'm not sure any of us can be.
Using todays standards to measure the actions of the Duke of Wellington or Lord Nelson?

What I can say is that the name was accepted in 1940's

You are right, some great stuff comes out of the BBC , it's mainly the BBC news is what lets the side down, and it's choice of 'comedians' that it allows on to vent their particular spleen. Supposed to be impartial
And at the risk of offending anyone, why the fcuk does the BBC keep pushing drag act shows? Stick them on BBC 3 if you must but please stop advertising them on BBC 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom