TV License / Anyone Cancelled ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
I've just cancelled my Sky TV after over 2 decades.
Realised I was paying £53 a month for stuff we no longer watch.
We watch Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Discovery+, almost everything streamed now.

Almost never turn the TV on to watch what is "live".
If we do turn it on we watch whatever is on which seems rather pointless.

About the only "live" thing I watch is the F1 which I'll miss but I can get this on catchup anyway.

Next step is for me to cancel the TV License as I also rather dislike paying money that will end up going to the BBC.
I've removed the aerial from the TV and will be pulling the Sky box out too soon.

Anyone also cancelled their TV license?

We’ve also cancelled our TV licence Pat along with Sky.

Only use the Amazon Fire stick these days to watch Netflix/Prime Video & YouTube.

TV has not interested me for years and so I cancelled mine months ago in protest against overpaid presenters that I can't stand, the rubbish that is on and the left wing woke agenda of the BBC.

I just cancelled my direct debit. Expect to receive letters soon afterwards. I do not answer them.

You do not need a licence if you do not watch LIVE TV.

As I understand it if you watch catchup tv or even only listen to the radio you need a TV license. I dont think there is any way around it but if anyone knows better I'm all ears.
From TV Licensing:-
You don't need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer). ... You need a TV Licence to download or watchBBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

I just cancelled my direct debit. Expect to receive letters soon afterwards. I do not answer them
Just give them a ring and let them know you no longer watch live TV - they were quite pleasant to deal with and will mark your address down as not needing a licence hence you won’t receive any letters etc.

As I understand it if you watch catchup tv or even only listen to the radio you need a TV license. I dont think there is any way around it but if anyone knows better I'm all ears.
We listen to Absolute Radio through the SONOS.

Just give them a ring and let them know you no longer watch live TV - they were quite pleasant to deal with and will mark your address down as not needing a licence hence you won’t receive any letters etc.
I would like to do it online rather than speak to them but when you go through the rigmarole online it tells you to phone. They are so busy you can't get through!
People are leaving in droves.

I would like to do it online rather than speak to them but when you go through the rigmarole online it tells you to phone. They are so busy you can't get through!
People are leaving in droves.
There must be something on the BBC website giving you an alternative. Like I said, we just filled out some forms.

they were quite pleasant to deal with and will mark your address down as not needing a licence hence you won’t receive any letters etc.

Maybe they are cleaning themselves up. Though Given what I have seen in the past I would doubt it.

I have relatives who had no TV for years and despite telling them they had no TV they got frequent letters and occasional visits.

Our company moved its main office a few years back and we got repeated letters telling us we would be prosecuted and giving us notional dates on which we would be visited. The director receiving them use to post them up on the notice board. I thought they were pretty appalling and can see how people would be intimidated into paying for a licence they didn't need.

We're also on the brink of ditching our TV licence. Over the last few years our viewing of broadcast TV and the BBC in particular has dropped.

Good to hear I'm not alone.

When I cancelled Sky earlier they tried to convince me to stay.
After I explained even if they gave me the TV for free they would stll have to send me £160 to pay the TV license I think they got it.

Not a fan of the BBC now, in fact that is a bit of an understatement.

Good to hear I'm not alone.

When I cancelled Sky earlier they tried to convince me to stay.
After I explained even if they gave me the TV for free they would stll have to send me £160 to pay the TV license I think they got it.

Not a fan of the BBC now, in fact that is a bit of an understatement.
I used to defend the BBC with almost a passion, mainly because I hate my viewing interrupted by advertisements. But their drivel to good ratio has increased exponentially in the last year or so. With nobody in the household interested in football, finding something we enjoy is getting difficult. The fee is now hard to justify, but also harder to make that step to cancel than it was for Sky a couple of years ago.

I hardly ever watch TV so it wouldn’t be a hardship to lose it, but Mrs. Gaz does and indeed pays for the licence so that’s her lookout. It ain’t coming out of my pocket..

Cheers,

Gaz

I used to defend the BBC with almost a passion, mainly because I hate my viewing interrupted by advertisements. But their drivel to good ratio has increased exponentially in the last year or so. With nobody in the household interested in football, finding something we enjoy is getting difficult. The fee is now hard to justify, but also harder to make that step to cancel than it was for Sky a couple of years ago.

I was very similar but now find the BBC rather unpalatable.
One thing that really got me was in November at 06:00 on BBC1 when the presenters had poppies on. Cut to a vt then suddenly they appear without them at 06:10.
Some 18 year old in control no doubt telling them political statements not allowed.

Can't stand Lineker, Norton, any sort of reality TV wether it be dancing, baking or anything else and as for Ant & Dec....

Easy decision for me and saves me money I can spend on streaming services which I watch by default now.

I was very similar but now find the BBC rather unpalatable.
One thing that really got me was in November at 06:00 on BBC1 when the presenters had poppies on. Cut to a vt then suddenly they appear without them at 06:10.
Some 18 year old in control no doubt telling them political statements not allowed.

Can't stand Lineker, Norton, any sort of reality TV wether it be dancing, baking or anything else and as for Ant & Dec....

Easy decision for me and saves me money I can spend on streaming services which I watch by default now.
Why were they told to take their poppies off?

Guessing some spoty person in control told them to.
Just searched it on Youtube and there is a video about it.
The contradictory BBC at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom