tv mounted above an electric fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Hi

Taking views

About to mount a 26 LCD on the wall above an electric, wall mounted fire

The fire has selectible 1kw or 2kw heat output (buying it this weekend to fit as well)

Anybody got experience of doing this - I am concerned about heat rising and affecting the TV.

Am planning to have the TV just over 2 foot above the fire, albeit the TV may be out from the wall a bit.

Its not an inset fire, (in case any body asks)

Should I do this or not - view or experience on the LCD being affected by rising heat?
Will it disapait in the large room its all going into before melting the tV?

Views appreciated from those in the know

Cheers

Being essentially a fan heater I would suggest you'd be ok. I'd mount the fire first and stick a thermometer on the wall where the TV would go; that'll give an idea of the heat levels.

The TV instructions may list optimum temperature ranges; if I recall correctly, my Toshiba mentioned this

Could be a burn hazard if there are young children in the house, including visiting children.

what, the electric fire itself?

Yes it will get hot, but don't take this the wrong way, but its the TV I am more worried about

Nah.... however, I tried that, it didn't come out right.

Kids I can 'manage' - melting TV's, I cannot

Has anybody actually mounted one above another - what did they find?

Cheers

I think the burn hazard issue comes from mounting a TV above a flame fire (gas or coal etc) and operating the TV manually by leaning over gives a real burn risk. I would suggest with a electric heater the issue is rather diminished.

There are some comments on digitalspy and AV forums which I frequent, may be worth dropping by those and see their experiences.

ive fitted lots of lcd plasma tv's on walls,why do people do it,for the best picture quality it should be mounted so when viewing the screen is level with your eyes.

A point to consider is that altho the TV may well operate above such a fire, running it at an elevated temperature could shorten its useful operating life considerably by thermal stress of the electronics. If you have the space I would consider relocating the fire or TV.

2 foot between the top of the fire and the bottom of the TV should be OK, but its not a good idea to put a TV directly above any form of heating whether it be an electric fire or central heating radiator.

I'm sure it's no issue with this type of fire. In fact, you can purchase TV lifts built into the rear of a fireplace - same idea, just more costly :D

http://www.picturehousecabinets.com/Home/tabid/174/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Bel_O_500.jpg

Last edited:
The thing is - thats not a REAL fire - although there is a 2kw fan heater included. The heat would get blown out into the room and not just convect upwards over the front of the TV. So its not strictly the same.
Also the gap between the heat source and the bottom of the TV is well over a metre.

Last edited:
Its likely that the bottom of the screen will run at a higher temp than at the top (simply due to convection), so you may find that there'll be accelerated ageing that won't be uniform across the screen. As a guess it'll affect contrast ratio, so over a year or three you may find that when the top of the screen is displaying a dark scene, the bottom may be distractingly lighter with less detail.

Robert's example above would be ok because the convection heat is deflected away from the screen - achievable with a simple (elegantly styled;) ) shelf...

ive fitted lots of lcd plasma tv's on walls,why do people do it,for the best picture quality it should be mounted so when viewing the screen is level with your eyes.

Thanks

True, but mounting it 3 foot from the floor (when you're sat on the sofa) isn't practical.

Its going to be on a tilt and swivel mount so eye line will be right.

I have dropped AV Forums a line, but to date no meaningful response - I will check in there again.

Thanks

Yes. I presume an electric fire with elements producing radiated heat. Where most of that heat would be directed out into the room, but some would rise directly over the TV. Whereas the fireplace surround has a convector heater which blows ALL the heat out into the room and almost none rises upover the TV. The "fire" is for visual effect only.
However I rather like that surround. Its a neat idea which hides the TV away when its not in use. Nicer than a black screen.

Sorted:bannana:

The fire I am looking at fans the warm air out under and out in front of the wall mounted fire

No warm air directly above the fire - I know 'cause I 'fired' one up today.

Gas fires are more of a problem because of the initial intensity of the heat and the lack of a fan

Cheers to those who offered their five pence worth

Fabes

Now.... how do I mount a 20Kg fire into plasterboard.........:confused::rolleyes:

I'd be more worried about mounting the telly :D

I don't subscribe to those channels:D

Anyway, its only a 26 incher (and apparently size does matter when mounting!)

Stopping there.......:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom