TV Reception Local Stations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
I live in the East Midlands, but can now only receive West Midlands Local TV News???:crazy:

I used to have two aerials: -

1. Pointing at Birmingham for West Midlands, as this was the strongest signal for all stations 1 to 5.
2. Pointing at Nottingham for East Midlands Local News.

When I upgraded my Television to Digital I had a new digital aerial fitted. Spoke to the fitter who tested out the various signals and deduced that I could only now get West Midlands from Birmingham. He tried Nottingham, but said that the signal was very bad due to trees being in the line of site.

I would love to go back to having my local news and not "foreign" news. So any suggestions how I could overcome this problem from you TV buffs???:confused: :confused: :confused:

On cable I believe you can choose which regional programme you watch - when it first came out I watched the teatime news for London despite being in leafy Staffordshire. Can you do that with freeview?

Try pressing the red button during the broadcast and then look for an East Midlands option.

On cable I believe you can choose which regional programme you watch - when it first came out I watched the teatime news for London despite being in leafy Staffordshire. Can you do that with freeview?

Try pressing the red button during the broadcast and then look for an East Midlands option.

Freeview has about 100 channels, but local news is only on BBC1 and ITV at certain times and is restricted to where the aerial is pointed, thus my problem mate.:crazy:

I'm also stuck with West Midlands news. Midlands Today could win prizes for being the Naffest local news programme (even if the weather girl is VERY easy on the eyes). :)

Midlands Today could win prizes for being the Naffest local news programme.

Another reason why I want to change it mate.:eek:

(even if the weather girl is VERY easy on the eyes). :)

Quite, but they must have decent ladies on East Midlands, and hopefully better new Tooo?;) :D ;)

Wait for the new dish based BBC Freesat system due this Autumn which should have local options. Not to be confused with the FREESAT FROM SKY currently on offer!!! http://www.astra2d.com/index.htm

Sounds interesting mate.:rock:

Don't like the Date Disclaimer though: -

""The service is expected to launch in the Autumn of 2007, however no official launch date has been announced, nor have any details on Freesat equipment.""

Freeview has about 100 channels, but local news is only on BBC1 and ITV at certain times and is restricted to where the aerial is pointed, thus my problem mate.:crazy:

Did you try the red button though?

Why didn't you keep your East Midlands analogue aerial? Can't think of any reason you couldn't pick up digital from the West and analogue (while it lasts) from the East.

I can view any of the regional BBC1 (and some 2) programs I like via Sky. I also have the choice between my region or London ITV.

Why didn't you keep your East Midlands analogue aerial? Can't think of any reason you couldn't pick up digital from the West and analogue (while it lasts) from the East.

According to the aerial fitter, the analogue signal wasn't any good. I had noticed some deterioration, must have been the growing trees.:crazy:
He did offer me analogue EM on the tele in the Kitchen, but who wants to watch the news whilst the wife cooks the dinner?:D

So it sounds like your options are:
  • Cable
  • Satellite (free or paid)
  • IPTV (subject to availability)
  • Restore previous aerial for East Midlands (Waltham?) and live with poor reception
  • Erect large aerial high up for better reception
  • Cut down trees
Not sure which I'd pick...

Wait for the new dish based BBC Freesat system due this Autumn which should have local options. Not to be confused with the FREESAT FROM SKY currently on offer!!! http://www.astra2d.com/index.htm

Now ordered FREESAT HD receiver and Dish, so we shall see if that solves my original problem.;)

Last edited:
I gather there is a FreeSat HD channel now available. Anyone know anything about it?

As I understand it I can get a Freesat box and connect to my Sky dish and Sky can go whistle.... However, I use Sky+ at the moment and I won't get rid until a PVR (aka DTR) is out for Freesat :rolleyes:

Does anyone know when Freesat HD PVRs will become available?

Does anyone know when Freesat HD PVRs will become available?

As I understand it they will be ready in the next couple of months, I want one to replace the Humax SD I have at the moment.:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom