TV Switching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karozza

Car
SL55 AMG/C180 K
Anyone take apart an 2002 SL Media unit with TV(mine doesn't have the actual tuner) & know what wire or supply is used to switch to TV? I would like to trigger the TV so I can add a rear view camera interface to engage in reverse.

Theres a private CAN network interface between the head unit and the TV tuner.
(i.e not a wire) and without that communications protocol having being established between head unit and TV, the TV button will work. The HU also takes a RGB feed not composite.

There are multimedia boxes available to pretend to be the TV tuner and give you a composite input that is selected when you press the TV button, so you could use one of those. But it will not auto switch as the head unit has no software in it to do that.

Talk to alfie on [email protected] he can probably source one

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for reply.

That is precisely it; I already sourced an interface for rear view camera. But now, as you correctly state, will not auto switch to TV & this is what I am trying to achieve.

It seems this is not possible.

you would have to wire inside the fascia of comand so that reverse would trigger the TV button and no reverse would trigger the satnav, but if you did this it would always revert to satnav whilst out of reverse so you would lose all other functions.

You can also get controllers which interface between the HU output and the COMAND display screen - effectively stealing the display to show other user selected video inputs.
Search for Car Solutions, who sell a wide range, you may find something you can use.
I have a later SL into which I have fitted just such a unit - to drive a Reversing camera, TV etc, but am finding it difficult; the NGT1 fitted is non standard so far as the display orientation and brightness is concerned. It works but there is an ongoing scheme of improvement

I doubt I can use that type of interface as the HU & display are one unit.

I doubt I can use that type of interface as the HU & display are one unit.
You have to open up the HU and, after breaking the connection between the HU Mobo and the display panel, install a small daughterboard, which does the actual signal swap.
If the stars are aligned, and it all fits together, the results can be very good. I have done this on an NTG2 and it works well.
Looking at the install info on the Car Solutions (& other) sites will give a better idea

crippo2 said:
You have to open up the HU and, after breaking the connection between the HU Mobo and the display panel, install a small daughterboard, which does the actual signal swap. If the stars are aligned, and it all fits together, the results can be very good. I have done this on an NTG2 and it works well. Looking at the install info on the Car Solutions (& other) sites will give a better idea

I have done this on a CLK where I had to swap ribbons from monitor to motherboard & inserted a daughterboard in between...the stars didn't align, most probably(after numerous hours/e-mails of work) the unit has some problem as the supplier wanted me to send it back for testing; Car-Interface in Italy

I have done this quite a few times on various cars, the only issue is, as Richard explained, there is no auto switching & I don't want to press TV so to see rear view camera!

I have done this on a CLK where I had to swap ribbons from monitor to motherboard & inserted a daughterboard in between...the stars didn't align, most probably(after numerous hours/e-mails of work) the unit has some problem as the supplier wanted me to send it back for testing; Car-Interface in Italy

I have done this quite a few times on various cars, the only issue is, as Richard explained, there is no auto switching & I don't want to press TV so to see rear view camera!
Sorry it did not work for you.

But, if you choose the right Video Controller/daughterboard combo, then selecting reverse will give you the Rev Cam pic on the COMAND screen - trust me it does on my W209 CLK - no muss no fuss & no buttons to push.

It may well not be a solution you can apply to an early SL (to Start with you need to know the Display make, part number etc or at the very least the LCD pinout (which apparently needs to be either 30 pin or 28 pin)) but if you can get the RGB & CSync signals to the right place it could be possible

I'm sure it should work, it's just the CLK interface seems to be at fault. Hopefully the supplier will verify this. Then, after having the good fortune to pay for return postage, they will want me to pay again for it to be delivered back to me!

Sorry it did not work for you.

But, if you choose the right Video Controller/daughterboard combo, then selecting reverse will give you the Rev Cam pic on the COMAND screen - trust me it does on my W209 CLK - no muss no fuss & no buttons to push.

It may well not be a solution you can apply to an early SL (to Start with you need to know the Display make, part number etc or at the very least the LCD pinout (which apparently needs to be either 30 pin or 28 pin)) but if you can get the RGB & CSync signals to the right place it could be possible
Hey Crippo

Can you let me know the details of the Video Controller/daughterboard combo you used as I want to do the same thing on my 2002 w290 clk 320

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom