TV Tuner, Great picture, No Sound. 2003 SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TJJ

Car
2003 SL55
Hi All,

I think I know the answer to this already, but I'm looking for a second opinion or for someone to point out I'm being a plonker. :) please?

I bought a late 2003 SL55 in January. Love the car but as it's got the analogue TV tuner that is no use these days I thought I would add a little media player that will play most video formats as well as MP3 from either USB or SD card. It plugs in to the AV ports on the TV tuner and the picture is actually pretty good, but I can't get any sound. I've tested the media player through my home TV and it's working fine. I've even used a 3.5mm jack to phono lead and tried playing my phone through the tuner but no sound at all. The only sound I get is when I check the TV settings. I set the region and get a beep acknowledgement.Can someone tell me if I'm missing something or whether it looks like the tuner has an audio issue please? My gut feeling is that the tuner is faulty but I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm being a plonker. Any help much appreciated.

DSC01405.JPG
DSC01401.JPG
DSC01402.JPG
DSC01403.JPG

Hi, have you turned up the volume knob on the Comand unit itself?

Hi, have you turned up the volume knob on the Comand unit itself?
Thank you for replying. Yes, as far as I can tell I've tried all permutations of volume settings. If you really crank the volume up on the command head unit you do get some background hiss, but that's all.
The fact that I get a picture says to me that the actual D2B system is functioning properly, so I'm erring towards this being a problem with the analogue side of the tuner.

Just to add, I've got a Viseeo MB3+ fitted so I can play music off my phone anyway as long as I can live with the background hiss, but would rather play music through the tuner if possible.

Might be worth trying the following...as you know you have two AV inputs, AV1 and AV2; it looks like you have something connected to one of them using only the audio inputs, the red and white cables. Take these out. Insert the Y R and W cable from the media box into that line of inputs, and see if you get sound and picture.

Sorry of you've tried all this already!

Might be worth trying the following...as you know you have two AV inputs, AV1 and AV2; it looks like you have something connected to one of them using only the audio inputs, the red and white cables. Take these out. Insert the Y R and W cable from the media box into that line of inputs, and see if you get sound and picture.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it in both AV1 and AV2 and get the same results. I think I've pretty much exhausted all options now.
Sorry of you've tried all this already!
I'm grateful for any input. I've known it so many times in the past where someone has suggested something that was obvious to them but I was oblivious until they pointed it out to me.

Would you happen to know if the TV tuner is coded to the car or the command unit? Actually, would you know what the part number is to save me pulling my car apart again? I might have a look around Ebay.

Could it be that the TV Tuner is not locked to a TV signal so has went into mute mode so you don't get noise?

I'd try an analogue source fed into the RF input for the TV tuner, something like a Sky box or VCR etc.
Get the tuner locked to this then try it again.

What are the red and white (no video) inputs from/for, and do you get sound on AV1 or AV2 with this source?

Could it be that the TV Tuner is not locked to a TV signal so has went into mute mode so you don't get noise?

I'd try an analogue source fed into the RF input for the TV tuner, something like a Sky box or VCR etc.
Get the tuner locked to this then try it again.
That's worth a thought isn't it! If I get a chance I'll try that today.
What are the red and white (no video) inputs from/for, and do you get sound on AV1 or AV2 with this source?
That's where I was testing things. I had the media player gadget in AV1 and my phone playing in to AV2, hence only the red and white audio leads.

So...there was also no sound coming out when you had your phone playing via AV2?

Well I had another play today. Nothing like checking what you're planning to do before you do it. I assumed the four connectors at the top of the photo of the tuner were aerial connections, so I fed an RF signal from an old sky box in to each of them in turn but couldn't tune in to anything. I checked it through the AV ports but still no sound. Went out tonight and now I also need to fix the sat nav as it can't find any satellites! Presumably it's something I've disturbed or broken, possibly those aerial connections. It can languish in the garage for now until I've found some more enthusiasm. I'm a bit worried about doing any more work on my wife's SLK in case I do more harm than good.

might be worth checking fuses 57 and 77, which I think are in the rear SAM, beneath one of the two bin boxes where the rear seats would be.

might be worth checking fuses 57 and 77, which I think are in the rear SAM, beneath one of the two bin boxes where the rear seats would be.
Thanks. I'll take a look when I'm confident I won't break it anymore! :) The funny thing is, with all the stories you hear about ABC and SBC and generally expensive problems, this car hasn't put a foot wrong in 2500 miles, and I'm not nice to it a lot of the time 'cos I like the noise it makes!

I really appreciate all the replies though. Thank you!

....... It plugs in to the AV ports on the TV tuner and the picture is actually pretty good, but I can't get any sound. ......Can someone tell me if I'm missing something or whether it looks like the tuner has an audio issue please?[ENDQUOTE]

On the later SL NTG1 COMAND, there is an AUX1 and AUX2 in the Audio screen shown on the 2 top right soft buttons. Activating the appropriate one of these puts sound from the analog TV into COMAND.
It might be the same on your earlier version?
DSCF1318_zpsbne0gvm3.jpg

It's slightly different on the original R230 comand, which is what TJJ has...you press the TV button and access the AV1 and AV2 inputs from there. I have a DVD and and a digital TV tuner wired into my analogue TV box via AV1 and AV2, the difference is that TJJ can see his picture, but can't hear any sound. It could be (but would be very surprising) an "audio out" fault in the TV tuner itself, it's more likely to be a wiring issue at the back of the comand head unit, a wiring break at the output from the TV tuner, or a fuse blown (55, 77 or indeed 66 if the SL55AMG has Bose...)

Disconnecing and reconnecting the wiring harnesses can sometimes "fix" a problem - it's all very strange when we play with these cars some 15 or 16 years after they were built, lol.

It's slightly different on the original R230 comand, which is what TJJ has...you press the TV button and access the AV1 and AV2 inputs from there. I have a DVD and and a digital TV tuner wired into my analogue TV box via AV1 and AV2, the difference is that TJJ can see his picture, but can't hear any sound. It could be (but would be very surprising) an "audio out" fault in the TV tuner itself, it's more likely to be a wiring issue at the back of the comand head unit, a wiring break at the output from the TV tuner, or a fuse blown (55, 77 or indeed 66 if the SL55AMG has Bose...)

Disconnecing and reconnecting the wiring harnesses can sometimes "fix" a problem - it's all very strange when we play with these cars some 15 or 16 years after they were built, lol.
Thanks for this information. I haven't had a chance to look again yet but I did leave the consumer battery disconnected overnight just in case anything had got confused. I know I am! :)
It does have Bose. Where exactly are those fuses please? I have to agree. I have a background in electronics and IT and I also think it's very unlikely to be a tuner fault as such. Interestingly, when I pull the power plug from the tuner the head unit complains the TV is missing, so that side of it does appear to be fully compos mentis.
Oh, and call me TJ for short! :)

Where does the original TV Tuner connect?

Just one port or three?

It does have Bose. Where exactly are those fuses please?

The relevant fuses should be in the rear SAM, which is located under the rear box behind the drivers seat. Access is via lifting out the internal base lining of the box, and it is easy to do with just your finger. Fiddly to check the fuses when you can see them, so you may need a torch. I think this is the fuse chart you need, it's fuse 66 I think. Worth pulling a few fuses eg 55, 66 and 77 to try your luck.

Attachments

• Fusemap_SL55_AMG.pdf
    413.5 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom