TV Tuner, Great picture, No Sound. 2003 SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you! I'm just off to collect a trailer from MK so I'll check this when I get back.
I'm so impressed with this forum / club. The culture here seems really friendly and helpful.

As silly as it sounds, are you 100% sure the phono lead you are using is in working order? Can you use it on another known working source to rule out a defective lead.

As silly as it sounds, are you 100% sure the phono lead you are using is in working order? Can you use it on another known working source to rule out a defective lead.
Not silly at all. I did test the media player using the same cable on my home TV and it seemed to work ok so pretty confident it is ok. I also tested two cables with two different phones in both ports so I'm largely stumped now as I still don't think the tuner is faulty.

Finally took a look at the fuses today. All that I could find seem ok but I couldn't find fuse 55. I finally made some effort and dug out the fuse location sheet from my owners handbook stuff and it shows fuse 55 as being horizontal at one end of a row of vertical fuses. My car doesn't have them at both ends.DSC01410.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01411.JPG
    DSC01411.JPG
    681.4 KB · Views: 5
if they are not there, no worries, they aren't needed then. If you have pulled the fuses that are there, checked and reinserted, then that's all you can do and it looks like the fuses are not the culprit for your lack of sound.

Have you pulled the comand head unit out to check the connections there?

if they are not there, no worries, they aren't needed then. If you have pulled the fuses that are there, checked and reinserted, then that's all you can do and it looks like the fuses are not the culprit for your lack of sound.

I've run out of enthusiasm again. Currently watching some of the BTCC. :)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but having read through this again it raises one question for me. I assumed that both the audio and video are fed to the head unit via the D2B fibre bus. If that is the case then that tells me the fault has to be with the tuner. If it was a comms problem between the head and tuner then I wouldn't get video either. Could someone confirm if my assumptions are correct please?

The Video is fed over RGB coaxes to COMAND 2.0. I can't recall if the Audio is analogue over D2B, but as the picture shows no fibre on the TV tuner it will be analogue !

The GPS stuff is all at front of car on the R230 SL, so you haven't disturbed anything unless you took the COMAND out ..
R

The Video is fed over RGB coaxes to COMAND 2.0. I can't recall if the Audio is analogue over D2B, but as the picture shows no fibre on the TV tuner it will be analogue !
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here. The fibre must be digital by definition, and I assume it is not that dissimilar to Ethernet over Fibre but I could be wrong on that. That's why I assumed everything went over the fibre, particularly as I know common faults with no sound are caused by a problem with the fibre loop. The CD changer works perfectly with no sound or performance issues at all.
The GPS stuff is all at front of car on the R230 SL, so you haven't disturbed anything unless you took the COMAND out ..
R
I believe the aerial amplifier is in the central overhead interior light cluster from what I've read. I assume it's a bad connection rather than a failing amplifier as sometimes it has 6+ satellites, other times it has 0.

But the fibre is not connected to the TV tuner.

GPS, either failing GPS antenna, loose connection, or failing COMAND unit. (regularity of occurrence in order of the list)

R

But the fibre is not connected to the TV tuner.

GPS, either failing GPS antenna, loose connection, or failing COMAND unit. (regularity of occurrence in order of the list)

R
Ah, I must admit I didn't look that closely and just assumed it was on the fibre. That may be a game changer then! :) Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. If the weather ever improves enough for me to get it out of the garage to look at......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom