TV Tuner/No Responce!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
I have finally fitted the TV tuner in my CLK and my Comand Unit is still saying NO TV!, does this have to be diagnosed by MB or should it work by default. I connected the 4 aerial leads and the 1 power lead, these were the only two wires visable since having the car factory pre-wired by MB.

Is this a case or MB using the star diagnosis machine to activate the TV or can this be done via the Comand Unit? :confused:

design guru said:
I have finally fitted the TV tuner in my CLK and my Comand Unit is still saying NO TV!, does this have to be diagnosed by MB or should it work by default. I connected the 4 aerial leads and the 1 power lead, these were the only two wires visable since having the car factory pre-wired by MB.

Is this a case or MB using the star diagnosis machine to activate the TV or can this be done via the Comand Unit? :confused:

Firstly, the cluster activation is to be able to change channels on your steering wheel. I dont have STAR so I dont know if COMAND wants to be told, but if the other options are any indication then it should just work.

Secondly, there are 3 sets of connections to the TV-tuner.

1) Aerials. Which you have correctly identified.

2) Power. Connector A is used in that

3) Signal. This is the cable that attaches to COMAND.

Potential for problems
----------------------
1) Install the correct fuse in the SAM module in the correct location

2) Signal not passing into COMAND correctly at C2 and C1

If you put a multimeter between Green and ground then you will see either 0.7 or 1.0 volts Peak to Peak. This means it has a picture. Otherwise you could test with the right type of input device. Like running an RGB lead to an LCD test unit (which I have made from a converted pocket TV).

The diagram below is NOT OEM but similar. You should be able to spot the differences anyway, its pretty easy.

Like Miro says, Comand should recognise the presence of the TV tuner and it should work OK without any re-coding of the cluster.

The only gains to be made by re-coding (by Star) are steering wheel channel changing, and display of channel number in the instrument cluster display.

Try putting the Comand into test / diagnostic mode, then scroll down to TV - you should see software and hardware info (from the tuner) displayed.

Connections between Comand and the TV tuner are simpler than they first appear. The TV picture is sent analogue (RGB) to comand, 'No Tv' however suggests that either there is no power to the tuner or the canbus data lines between the tuner and comand are open circuit. I would start by testing the continuity of the can lines, ie C2 17 and 18 on Comand to D15 and D6 on the tuner. Power to the tuner is A4 (+) and A8(-). Just connection of these four lines should get Comand talking to the tuner (albeit without a picture!).

Paul G

Or you could have a duff tuner......

I noticed one very simple and relevant instruction the other day. Test unit then assmbled all components removed from car. Amazing how that will come back to haunt you.

I will put $10 on the fuse not being in place. The pre-wire isnt live, just available.

Which Fuse/Test Mode

Thanks for the replys. How would you put the comand in test mode/diagnosis?
When you say the fuse not being present, is there another fuse besides the one in the tv tuner itself?

There is a 10A fuse in the tuner, there is a lead which plugs in next to the fuse and also the cluster of 4 aerial wires which fit in the black bracket as shown in picture.

Attachments

• plugs fitted.jpg
    plugs fitted.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 234
To enter diagnostic mode, select any FM radio channel, then press and hold mute+channel1+channel3 at same time. After approx 5 seconds Comand will enter diagnostic mode.

Get a test meter - check for power to the tuner!

Paul G

Just in case I missed something, looking at the picture you posted did you plug anything into the black vertical socket next to the phonos ?

No Wire Present

steve_bcs said:
Just in case I missed something, looking at the picture you posted did you plug anything into the black vertical socket next to the phonos ?

There was no extra wires, I only plugged wires into the areas circled.

design guru said:
There was no extra wires, I only plugged wires into the areas circled.

Its not prewired then. You have connector A (power) and you have TV aerials but somewhere in your boot (trunk) is 18pin AV cable for COMAND with a QUADLOCK connector that plugs into the vertical strip or not at all.

Im still not convinced you have a 10 amp fuse in the SAM module. If you have to ask what a SAM module is then maybe its time to stop doing this mod.

TV in my CLK.Yeah!

I found the final wire which was tucked up inside a group of wires, I plugged it in and there it was a crystal clear image. I think the factory pre wiring is a must as the picture quality is superb, even when I stopped under a bridge!.It did work by default but still switches of when the car goes above 10mph.

I don't know if its because I live on the south coast, I can also tune into some slightly fuzzy French channels. Anyway a BIG THANK YOU to all the replys and help to the MB Forum users. :bannana:

Miro, Paul Grainger, Steve BCS cheers for the final touches.

miro said:
Im still not convinced you have a 10 amp fuse in the SAM module. If you have to ask what a SAM module is then maybe its time to stop doing this mod.

Miro,

I dont know what you mean by SAM module either . Please could you clarify .

Good to see the mod went ahead sucessfully anyhow with or without knowing what a SAM module is.

steve_bcs said:
Wish I'd taken you up on this bet Miro :D

SAM ...... where the fuses and relays live. 3 of them in most cars.

$10 bet ..... Im not so sure now the car was pre-wired with a live fuse on a drop cable. It seems to me the option was removed and the fuse never taken out.

miro said:
SAM ...... where the fuses and relays live. 3 of them in most cars.

Thanks, I still dont know what S A & M actually stand for though.

At last....something that I know the answer to!

SAM module = Signal Acquisition Module

There are a few of these dotted around the car, they collect data for transmission on the CAN lines. How do I know this? Because the one in my driver side door went faulty and I had to replace it. I lost various can controlled functions in the door, all was OK when I replaced the SAM module.

Paul G

Paul Grainger said:

There are a few of these dotted around the car, they collect data for transmission on the CAN lines. How do I know this? Because the one in my driver side door went faulty and I had to replace it. I lost various can controlled functions in the door, all was OK when I replaced the SAM module.

Paul G

Nice one Paul ,

thanks

Paul Grainger said:

Paul G

SAM modues in the door ? They usually house fuses and relays.

Please accept my apologies, I got this slightly wrong. When I looked at the failed module from my drivers side door, I realised that SAM actually stands for Signal pick-up & Activation Module.

The door SAM modules are officially called DCM1 and DCM2 (Door Control Module?). I presume DCM3 and DCM4 exist on 4-door cars.

The 'main' SAM module lives under the bonnet near the DLC (data link connector?), and, like Miro says, does have relays and fuses.

MB seem to like abbreviations, in addition to charging the earth for failed modules.

Paul G

at least you got the Signal and Module bits right . ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom