TV Tuner with Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Grainger

Car
SL55, Porsche 996 C2 convertible
Does anyone have experience of installing an MB TV tuner with an existing comand unit?

I would appreciate a pin-out of the TV tuner connections. I would prefer (if poss) to make up my own connection lead(s). If this is impractical, what are the MB part numbers for the cables?

Does the Comand need to be 'told' using star diag computer that the tuner is present? Or is tuner presence detection automatic?
What antenna arrangements are required? (diversity?) My car is a cabriolet - if the antenna's go in the roof lining I could be in trouble.....

Is it possible to override the tv cut-off when vehicle in motion?

Any information whatsoever pertaining to the installation of a tuner would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
Yes, if the unit was made before 2002 IIRC.

what is the difference if the car was made after that Shude? can you no longer override it?

not the car, the comand... (i think)

Originally posted by Koolvin
not the car, the comand... (i think)
correct, the newer comands just wouldn't accept the changes, the older ones have no problem. I have allegedly found this out with help from someone I might have met once at a stealership I may or may not regularly frequent. Maybe. Just gotta get the whole legal aspect covered there :)

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
Does anyone have experience of installing an MB TV tuner with an existing comand unit?

I would appreciate a pin-out of the TV tuner connections. I would prefer (if poss) to make up my own connection lead(s). If this is impractical, what are the MB part numbers for the cables?

Does the Comand need to be 'told' using star diag computer that the tuner is present? Or is tuner presence detection automatic?
What antenna arrangements are required? (diversity?) My car is a cabriolet - if the antenna's go in the roof lining I could be in trouble.....

Any information whatsoever pertaining to the installation of a tuner would be greatly appreciated.

I fitted an MB TV tuner to my E class COmand 2.0 & ML (all my trhreads & pics were lost when the forum crashed last month!)

I used a wiring cable from Megacomm.de for my ML install they have an online shop now and accept paypal. cost about £75 I used an S class Loom for my E class as I fittd an S class Rear monitor as well.

FOr diversity antennas, I used a pair of Hirschmann Cellphone bumper aerials (thrse are pads that fix behind your bumper ) on both the front bumper and the rear bumper. Megacomm do a plug kit for teh TV tuner diversity antenna input as the hirschman plugs need cutting off . I used just the outside two connections at the Tuner. Reception is fantastic. Even channel 5 on the move!

regarding the interlocks, My local Dealer Where Shude may or May not frequent "accidentally" disabled them when they told comand that the TV tuner was present. As far as I know, you have to take the car to them in order for the Tv to function properley.

. The Hirschmann Bumper aerials are a standard MB part for the E class Q5 22 21762

Hope this helps
:)

Originally posted by Shude
correct, the newer comands just wouldn't accept the changes, the older ones have no problem. I have allegedly found this out with help from someone I might have met once at a stealership I may or may not regularly frequent. Maybe. Just gotta get the whole legal aspect covered there :)

Fill me up on this Nick! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom