TV Turns itself on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hey guys, for the past coup;le of days, my TV has turned itself on around 10am. Does anyone know what can cause this?

It's a cheap TV, a JVC which probably has the innards of something else.

I don't think it's someone else with a similar TV as it only happens the once in the day, and it was at the same time.

The only thing I can find on Google is to turn off the auto updates in standby, but they are already turned off.

It's obviously paranormal activity.

You need to call Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and the other one that no-one ever remembers, to exorcise the spirits etc.

You need to call Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and the other one that no-one ever remembers, to exorcise the spirits etc.

Robert Zemekis-who was also the director/producer IIRC

First stab at Google brings forth

Google search said:
  • You or someone else has accidentally set a "wake-up" timer for your TV.
  • Your remote batteries are low. Remotes are known to send off some weird signals when they're on the last bit of juice. Your TV could be interpreting infrared noise from your remote as an "On" command.
  • The power button on the remote or the TV itself could be stuck.
  • Somebody could be playing a prank on you.
  • Your neighbors could be accidentally powering on your TV through the window, especially if they have the same model synced up with a similar universal remote (like the one your cable company gives you).
  • Your pet might have just sat or stepped on your remote control while you were in the other room.
  • Perhaps it wasn't powered off entirely before (maybe you shut off the cable box but not the TV screen?), and it's now flickering back on from a power surge.
  • A fluorescent lamp inside the same room as the TV is blinking red and causing a sensitive infrared remote sensor to turn the set on and off.
  • It could just be an internal electrical malfunction, like a resistor that's changed value or a defective infrared sensor.
So, check the batteries in your remote and/or cover up the remote sensor on the TV to eliminate IR causes.

If it happens at the same time every day, then it's definitely a timer.

I have 2 cats, but none were anywhere near the remote when it happens. I'll check the batteries, never thought of that :)

Is Derek Acorah anywhere near you house. Sounds like a male Cilla Black. Any spooky stuff going on, he is your man. All the dead folk's want to get in touch with him - Well you would wouldn't you?

I just Googled this Derek chap - he looks the sort to go after your granny if you turn your back for 5 mins...

Egon Spengler ( hobbies - collecting spores , moulds and fungii ) .

Sad that I know that :(

Hey guys, for the past coup;le of days, my TV has turned itself on around 10am. Does anyone know what can cause this?

It's a cheap TV, a JVC which probably has the innards of something else.

I don't think it's someone else with a similar TV as it only happens the once in the day, and it was at the same time.

The only thing I can find on Google is to turn off the auto updates in standby, but they are already turned off.

Back to the original question : it must be Malcolm from 'the other side' trying to get back in here after being banned from everywhere else :D

Just joking .

Does it actually turn on and give a picture, or does it just switch on without? If the latter then its probably the tuner doing an automatic update - a Toshiba that we have does that at about 2am in the morning which is a bit annoying as its in our bedroom!!

If it actually shows the picture as well, then its definitely a paranormal.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom