TVR Cerbera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrispy

Car
97 W202
My wife has told me that as i'm going through my mid life crisis at 38 :eek: I can have a decent sports car next year and I can also have lessons on how to play the drums (wanted to play them ever since I was a little kid :D ). I've been looking at the TVR Cerbera as an addition to my garage (i'll never ever part with my 97 W202) and just wondered what others here thought of them and has anyone had one? It's a smart looking motor and for the prices the 97 - 00 models are fetching now it would fall within my budget. I know nothing about the mechanics side of cars, I just like to jump in them and drive off and anything else gets handled by my local garage.

Any info much apprecited.

I know nothing about the mechanics side of cars, I just like to jump in them and drive off and anything else gets handled by my local garage.
Now, that could be a problem...:rolleyes:

I know nothing about the mechanics side of cars, I just like to jump in them and drive off

Probably best to avoid TVRs then.

If you like the idea of a 2-seater with a big engine how about an SL500?

Inevitably this is type of question is gonna throw up a lot of personal opinion 'chrispy' !! Anyhow, I may as well get things started :
I love Cerberas - They look and sound like nothing else. I think they are a car thats can be very 'colour sensitive' ( as in I probably wouldn't choose a purple one ), but that aside, I'd have one in my dream garage without question.
Having said that, I still didnt buy one when i had the opportunity! This was basically because the questionable build quality repuation got the better of me. Although I was prepared to go with the ' special car,special care' scenario, I didn't bank on the entire windscreen rubber flying off as we cruised along the M20 on the test drive - I suppose the whole day didnt get off to the best of starts as a Chimera with a mind of its own locked me in whilst parked in the showroom !All these things suddenly become an issue when its your money that has to cover the repairs.
I may have just been unlucky, but if I was ever in a position to buy again I would definately buy the latest car possible as this means a greater chance of 'issues' being ironed out whilst in previous owners hands. I also wouldn't buy the 6 cylinder or the 4.2 V8 varient, it has to be the 4.5 ( and the lightweight too ideally ).
Either way, you have to drive one - The way it goes sounds and looks are completely unique.
Good luck !!

Stick with a Merc.
TVRs are notoriously unreliable............from what I have heard

Cerberas are amazing cars. A chap I used to work with had one and it was awesomely fast.

They are extremely raw though, and definitely not the most reliable cars in the world, and for people used to exactly German build quality standards the 'home finished' look of TVRs can be a bit unsettling.

I'm not sure where in the UK you are, but there is an excellent TVR dealer in Henley. I went in there with a friend who was considering a Cerbera and the dealer principle was possibly the nicest car salesman I've ever met, who was more than prepared to point out the foibles evident and things to look for when buying a used TVR.

At this particular dealership they highlight their honest credentials. The showroom and the workshop are one in the same. :)

Hope you like the smell of Bostik ....

Every TVR i've been in smelt of glue .... :crazy:

Didn't realise you were in Henley Rose Chap , my formative years were spent boozing at the regatta !! Do you remember Stallones nightclub ? i used to get banned from there every year ...

Still go up to the antique shops on Sunday sometimes ....

I'm just on the outskirts of Abergavenny in Wales so Henley's a little too far to travel :( I have an excellent mechanic who's looked after my W202 for the last 9 years and he could handle a TVR if any problems arose. It wouldn't be an every day car as that's what my Merc is for. I just fancy something sporty that would remind of the roar my 1970 V8 Chevy Camero used to make and something I could open up on a long motorway run as they come up every once in a while. Our business is only 3 miles away from our home (so allowing for the long route there) the car would do a maximum of 50 miles a week if I took it every day :D

Many thanks for all your input, this is truly an enthusiasts forum :rock:

At least your wife would know what to get you for Christmas...a full toolkit and enrolment on a car maintenance course..:D

I was really tempted by a TVR as a 'weekend/fun' car. But eventually I realised that I wanted a car which would start when I wanted to go somewhere ... and would start when I wanted to come home again. Reading ads I saw things like "18,000 miles, recent full engine rebuild" ...

So I ended up with the R129.

Ok, not a good idea then I take it :( Any suggestions for a decent sporty motor that I could get for just under £15k? I know you guys are minted and some drive posh Porsche's and Ferrari's but i'm a lowly small business owner and can't blow vast amounts of cash on a weekend motor :(

What about the Porsche Boxster?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a Cerbera provided you understand what you're buying into. Problems I had weren't too dramatic - slave cylinder on clutch - starter motor solonoid, door solenoids. Not sure what warranty you can get with them now but they were worth their weight in gold. One thing is for sure - you'll never drive another car that puts such a big smile on your face for the money - even if you allow £2-3k a year in servicing.

It's the ONLY car I ever regret selling.

Thanks stats mate. I must admit i've had a doubt put in my mind now. Every ad for them i've read, almost all have stated 30,000 or less miles and a full engine rebuild :confused: Why the hell is that?

Didn't realise you were in Henley Rose Chap , my formative years were spent boozing at the regatta !! Do you remember Stallones nightclub ? i used to get banned from there every year ...

Still go up to the antique shops on Sunday sometimes ....

To coin a phrase, I get around a bit. :)

I've spent the past 6 months living in Horsham, due to Rose Chick's work commitments. Prior to that I was in Wokingham, now we've moved back to the home counties and live in Henley.

Stallones alas isn't known to me, but I certainly can relate to the sentiment. ;) Regatta boozing is one of my favourite passtimes as well. Fortunately I've friends who have rowing connections which is good as it gets me into the right places without me having to do any of that tiring blade work.

Anyway, should you ever find yourself in Henley one weekend I'd be more than happy to grab a sly pint. :)

I think if you go into Cerbera ownership with your eyes well and truly open and don't expect it to be like a Porsche then you'll be fine. Its the fastest thing you'll buy for £15K that's for sure.

If you do go down the Boxster route though, I might be able to help. A friend of mine who spent ages researching and being extremely picky has just bought a mint, low mileage Boxster S with 12 months warranty. He's also just been offered a massive pay rise and a relocation package to Baltimore so he needs to flog the Boxster. If you were to make him an offer he couldn't refuse, well, I'm sure he wouldn't refuse! :D

PM me if you want more information.

Thanks stats mate. I must admit i've had a doubt put in my mind now. Every ad for them i've read, almost all have stated 30,000 or less miles and a full engine rebuild :confused: Why the hell is that?

It depends what engine - but TVR made a bit of a crap job of tuning the straight sixes - the AJP V8s had their share of trouble but you will find 40-50k mile cars that haven't needed the work.

A Boxster isn't free of faults - the issues that can affect the 996 also apply to the early cars and a Porsche warranty (£1k) is still a good thing to have.

Owning a TVR automatically puts you in a circle of friendly owners - how many Boxster owners will flash their lights as you drive past?

I had a passenger ride in once once, by a client who had a special dispensation from the police which lifted all the road laws for the duration of our hoon; thread here. Stunning :cool:

For a specific Cerbera forum, have a look on pistonheads; also check out the general TVR forum there.

I'm a TVR Car Club member, the site is here. If you're serious, might be worth joining anyway as you'll get all the info you need (plus a great mag in Sprint) and you could go along to some meets and speak to owners; it's guaranteed that someone will offer you a ride.

Don't be put off, but go in with your eyes open :)

Thanks for the info everyone much appreciated. I'm not quite ready yet for either a TVR or a Cerbera. My wife told me I can have one next year as we're in the process of opening two new shops and our resources and time need to be spent on them. I'll be looking from january on I guess I just like to research it all beforehand.

Once again thanks to everyone for the advice, pro's and con's have been taken on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom