TVR Chinemara Petrol Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

On the off chance. My friend ran out of petrol yesterday while out in his TVR.

Soon discovered why he ran out. Petrol is pumping out under pressure somewhere above the bell-housing. Not good as it is running onto his exhaust. Got the car over my pit and had a good look with mirrors, lights etc (after the car had cooled down). Cannot see any signs of where it is coming from just that it is pouring out from above. Anybody have any experience of TVR's?

It may be off on a trailer later to a TVR guy in Ashford.

Has to be coming from around the inlet manifold/plenum area between the V-banks if it's leaking petrol from the top onto the bell housing?

Check all the fuel pipes/connections in the area - must be quite obvious if it's pouring out! As a Chimaera will be EFI it must be one of the fuel pipes or an injector line for that amount of petrol to be leaking out?

Hi,
I own a 97 Chimaera
Usual place is the petrol pipes(flow and return) come up on drivers side over the rocker cover and as standard are just rubber, with the intense heat and flexing, they tend to harden and then crack with the results you talk off.
A usual mod(all TVR owners can list a range of mods required to make the cars more reliable) is to fit replacement stainless braided hoses, usually set advertised on Pistonheads. Easy replacement.

Gents

Thank you. I did find the black rubber pipes as you describe yesterday. But no sign of a leak. Unfortunately I think the leak must be lower down the firewall and I couln't see up or down to find it. I also didnt want to risk starting the car with me under it in a pit with all that petrol around. I suspect if running you may see it as it comes out under pressure.

Thank you both again for helping.

Oh. He is preparing to sell it if anybody is interested.

All fixed now as described in previous posts. Thank you.

Oddly (or not). No leak when cold. As soon as it got hot it was gushing out.

Then we replaced the rusty headlight reflectors. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom