TVR to cease car production in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Satch said:
Seems they have changed their minds (again) and not long after taking a bunch of workers in Liverpool back on!

Blackpool you mean!

Doomed !

My guess is once they found out there was going to be no big government (local or national) grant to subsidise setting up the new factory they decided to move production to the eastern block where labour is cheaper. :rolleyes: After all the East Germans gave us thousands of trabants. ;) Just the same thing with a bigger engine really .:crazy: :crazy:

Sad times for the UK motoring industry. It's incredible that UK can still be at the forefront of automotive high-tech, racing, and design/development but it seems we simply don't cut it at manufacturing cars - at any scale - unless it's backed by Japanese companies.

It's a good job the likes of Honda, Nissan and Toyota decided to build cars in the UK - the likes of Morgan can't really create enough work to support bouyant tiers of automative part and component suppliers.

I don't recall any news that the Japanese are reducing their comitment in the UK either, unlike Peugeot, Ford, GM, etc over recent years.

Bobby Dazzler said:
I don't recall any news that the Japanese are reducing their comitment in the UK either, unlike Peugeot, Ford, GM, etc over recent years.

Yes, but the Japanese are still making good profits, whereas the US firms have suffered years of wishy-washy mismanagement, poor investment decisions and complacency, and are now in freefall, and panicking.

PJ

scumbag said:
Blackpool you mean!

Well somewhere North of the Thames.

But it is all rather odd:

"The workforce is crucial. We don't have anyone but the workers – they are the company."

Nikolai Smolenski, July 2006, announcing car making would be staying in Blackpool.

big x said:
maybe...build quality will improve !
Italians, Build quality?

blassberg said:
Italians, Build quality?

Yep, Italian coachbuilders have a long history of excellence.Bertone builds lots of the prototype motor show cars.
I can't think of a worse made production car than a Blackpool made TVR.
The current fibreglass and glue image needs changing if the likes of the German market are to take the marque seriously.

adam

Last edited:
blassberg said:
Italians, Build quality?

Poor Italian build quality is a myth. They built good cars that were not properly protected against rust, a bit like an MB then.

tvr

as they have shut the factory i see no reason why the goverment dont impose import tax on there cars after all its all about money isent it .:devil:

GROWLER said:
as they have shut the factory i see no reason why the goverment dont impose import tax on there cars after all its all about money isent it .:devil:

They'd have to impose [more?] import duty on all imported cars - which would include our favorite marque !! so lets not do that ....

R

Survival of the fittest IMO. TVR, for all their sportiness are still a POS.:devil:

Dieselman said:
Poor Italian build quality is a myth. They built good cars that were not properly protected against rust, a bit like an MB then.

I beg to differ. According to my Alfa GTV owning chum, half the GTV's left the factory with the rear speaker wiring the wrong way round. Wouldn't happen in Germany. ;)

Rose Chap said:
I beg to differ. According to my Alfa GTV owning chum, half the GTV's left the factory with the rear speaker wiring the wrong way round. Wouldn't happen in Germany. ;)

Wow, a major failing!

Rose Chap said:

It wouldn't happen in Germany because "rear speaker wiring" would be an extra cost option :p

Just exchanged my TVR Tuscan for an ML500! After 3 years of pouring money down the drain, new engine, new clutch, gearbox next - I had enough! However all good financial training for petrol consumption...?

SimonB said:
Just exchanged my TVR Tuscan for an ML500! After 3 years of pouring money down the drain, new engine, new clutch, gearbox next - I had enough! However all good financial training for petrol consumption...?

You may have just started a torrent of comments like - "So if you'd had enough, why did you buy an ML - it's even worse" and "Out of the frying pan and into the fire", etc.

Ignore them though, and enjoy the car. If I enjoy an ML270, you're sure to enjoy an ML500. Post some pics when you can...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom